Calgary Flames Done In Five

from eric Francis of Sportsnet,

From best in the west to finished in five.

Minutes after the Calgary Flames‘ improbable, 50-win season came to a crashing end Friday, a stunned group of players shared one common explanation for how it all slipped away:
Nathan MacKinnon.

“For anyone who doesn’t think MacKinnon is one of the best, if not the best, they might want to look at this series because he can really turn it on up to another level,” said Flames captain Mark Giordano, following the Flames fourth-straight loss to the Colorado Avalanche.

“Tough player to play against and I thought he really took control and led their team.”

Mike Smith agreed.

“He was a beast,” said the Flames netminder, who was solid for the fifth-straight game despite losing 5-1 in a game where MacKinnon had three assists.

continued

Game highlights and handshakes below.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

This series loss hurts much more than last years sweep by the Ducks. This year the fanbase had higher expectations based on a team that came together under a new coach and played a strong, fast game. However it now appears that they have no extra gear for the playoffs as a team. All series Bennett and Smith lead the way, working their butts off to make a difference. Monahan was invisible, Tkachuck ineffective, Lindholm lost, leaving Johnny with no support at all. Let’s not even talk about how bad the D were, especially TJ Brodie, with coughing up pucks. The Real Deal did not work out and the depth scoring evaporated when space on the ice got tight.

Credit to the Avalanche, they played better, smarter and faster. Plus their stars were playing at star levels, eclipsing the entire roster of the Flames. I wish them luck in the next round against Vegas who is, in my opinion, a much better build playoff team than Calgary.

Posted by Iggy_Rules_JR on 04/20/19 at 11:41 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

This has to be one of the strangest 1st round playoffs I think I have ever watched. So many of the top teams losing and in a big way.  No idea about why from me.  Fans should just put an asterik beside their team and just call it a strange year.

Is there that many regular season top teams not built for the playoffs?  Not sure I can understand why so many teams were or are not for the playoffs.

Who will win the Cup?

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/20/19 at 12:47 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

My Tampa Bay-Calgary Cup Final prediction took a bit of a hit last night

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 04/20/19 at 12:50 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I would think most predictions took a hit in this playoff round, LOL

So Blues will send Jets packing? Many of these “upsets” are from teams that made the playoffs very late in the season. I think KH has said “just make the playoffs and anything can happen”

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/20/19 at 02:00 PM ET

It just didn’t seem like Colorado was there yet as a roster but their depth was a little better than I thought: Brassard and Girard could get hurt and they were fine. They stood up to Calgary’s physicality without getting distracted by it. Singing playoff type players like Cole and Calvert mattered.

I heard Jones I think note that Gaudreau really missed having a guided missile on his line in Michael Ferland. Maybe Gaudreau would have gotten a little more room and attracted less attention from Zadorov. But then Lindholm was so good all season and played really hard. But maybe that line needs a power forward. Having Makar essentially be an upgrade to Girard obviously helped.

And yeah Colorado’s top line was dominant. The world had seen enough kf Nathan MacKinnon in meaningful games. I believe that line had 21 pts in the series and Calgarys had 5 pts. Grubauer was good all series.

Posted by lefty.30 on 04/20/19 at 06:32 PM ET

*Hadn’t* seen enough of MacKinnon in meaningful games.

Man he was good.