Bylsma’s Contract Extended For Two Years

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dan+bylsma

Comments

Paul, any way you can check on Evilpens? His head may have just exploded.

Posted by mc keeper on 06/12/13 at 10:14 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

Paul, any way you can check on Evilpens? His head may have just exploded.

Posted by mc keeper on 06/12/13 at 11:14 AM ET

That was my first thought when I saw the headline.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 06/12/13 at 10:15 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Hahaha. Now if Van would just sign Torts, this comedy would be complete.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/12/13 at 10:16 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

PeeWee Herman lives to fight another day.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/12/13 at 10:59 AM ET

awould's avatar

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 11:18 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I’m not saying Bylsma can’t be successful again with the Pens, but I think now was the time for a coaching change, especially considering the guys available. I think every “players’ coach” wears out his welcome the same ways “hard ass” like Torts does. Hopefully Bylsma proves me wrong…I also hope they change assistants for some kind of freshness.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 06/12/13 at 11:18 AM ET

awould's avatar

Next they’ll trade Vokoun and Malkin…..

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 11:19 AM ET

I have this page bookmarked.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis on 06/12/13 at 11:26 AM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

I’m hoping that Vancouver hires Milbury, with McGuire as one of his assistants.

Posted by Savage Henry on 06/12/13 at 11:49 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

They either had to extend him or let him go. If they had let it go as-is, he’d have been a lame duck that was just sitting there, easy for the players to quit on if they got frustrated with him in the slightest.

Also, is this an implicit admission by Shero that he gave MAF a bad contract, and that he’s been unable to provide the right pieces defensively?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/12/13 at 12:44 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I dunno, I can see both sides of the argument.

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/12/13 at 12:45 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

The mandate to extend Bylsma must be coming from a few specific players, not Shero who comes off as being more rational than loyal to a fault.

Anybody who has followed this club and the personnel movement over the last couple of years can see that they’ve had the talent to run deep into the playoffs.  Instead, they had one single playoff series win following that 09 cup heading into this post-season.

If the defensive approach continues they might be able to get another playoff series win or 2 over the next couple of years if they’re fortunate to run into some more non-seasoned clubs like this past post-season.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/12/13 at 12:56 PM ET

awould's avatar

Shero certainly gave MAF a generous contract based on a lot of hope and potential. Fleury’s numbers weren’t mind-blowing in the couple years before. Of course, he backstopped them to a Cup the very first year of that deal so Shero looked like a genius. Since then, he’s been on an inconsistent but definite downward slide. So Shero looks like a dummy.

I think Fleury’s deal was mostly based on their 07-08 Cup run. He was really good in that playoff run. He barely played during the regular season that year though. Shero sort of had to make a decision without all the information he probably wanted. In hindsight it is easy to say he obviously overpaid. But even at the time, the signing was based really on one small run of great play with decent but not great stats the prior couple of seasons so I think it’s safe to say he gambled by overpaying and lost.

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 01:02 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 02:02 PM ET

Good points.

The one thing that keeps me from dumping on MAF is his regular season stats, they’ve been consistently .910 since the cup despite the team not playing defensive-first hockey.

So many of the goals the past few post-seasons were the fault of d-men like Letang abandoning the slot.  In many cases I got the sense that MAF felt like he had to do everything in order to keep them afloat, thus that terrible results and confidence implosion on some of the softballs that followed.

The Pens played completely responsible playoff-type hockey the last two games of the Bruins series for the first time in years, IMHO.  I think MAF would stabilize and re-emerge as a really good goalie in a situation like that.  It’ll be interesting to see if that philosophy can trump the big time offensive stats that so many covet both inside and outside the Pens org.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/12/13 at 02:08 PM ET

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/12/13 at 01:45 PM ET

I agree with you Tony.  I mean, I’m not Bylsma’s biggest supporter, but he has had success, not as much as I would like in the playoffs, but he has had it.  Of the available options, I see none as an upgrade.  Now if Babcock was available I would consider it, maybe Tippett as well, but I’m hoping Bylsma, as well as the team, can learn and adapt from this.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 06/12/13 at 04:55 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

They will win the Regular season & shit the Bed again in the Playoffs, at least we know the whole OrganIzation in “All In” on this & no one can shirk the responsibility after next seasons Playoff Flameout

Posted by Evilpens on 06/12/13 at 07:07 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) Funniest statement was Shero comparing Bylsma to Babcock hahahaha. I would trade Clown FartInc. & Krys Letang to Detroit for Babcock & crew

Posted by Evilpens on 06/12/13 at 07:09 PM ET

EP, just out of curiosity, what available coach would you want to see behind the bench for the Pens that is currently available?  Just wondering, because to me, there’s really no one that sticks out that I would think, man, I want him as a the Pens coach.  I think is part of the reason I am OK with them sticking with Bylsma for now.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 06/12/13 at 09:06 PM ET

awould's avatar

Tippet. He’s semi-available anyways.

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 09:35 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Tippett ! if he really wanted to stay in Phoenix he would have signed already, Lindy Ruff who knows who else Clownsma is a joke

Posted by Evilpens on 06/12/13 at 09:39 PM ET

awould's avatar

Tippett ! if he really wanted to stay in Phoenix he would have signed already

Or maybe he’s waiting to see if the ownership gets figured out so he can have some stability before he makes his decision, like he says.

Posted by awould on 06/12/13 at 09:45 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

is it legal for the Hawks to score more goals in 1 Game than the Pens got in 4+ Games ??

Posted by Evilpens on 06/13/13 at 08:29 AM ET