Byfuglien Celebration

First off, I am old-school and thought Dustin Byfuglien went a little too far with his goal celebration (2nd of the night) tonight. (let the video run to the end)

But what I think doesn’t matter, so what do you think?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dustin+byfuglien

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

At a home game it wouldn’t be bad, but for an away game it is since it seems like he’s kind of rubbing it in their face.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 05/06/10 at 02:55 AM ET

Seemed a little too much. Leave the toolish celebrations to the NFL, shall we?

Posted by Sharks Fan from SLO on 05/06/10 at 02:58 AM ET

dickshilling's avatar

I loved it. There’s nothing like a prick on the ice that knows how to play hockey too, not to mention he’s something like 260lbs which makes him impossible to move/stand up to. Gets in the crowd’s face too? Hilarious.

Posted by dickshilling on 05/06/10 at 03:01 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

He makes it easy to hate the blackhawks. He’s indicative of what’s wrong with this team—- they believe their own hype.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/10 at 03:03 AM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

As Brett Hull used to say on this subject, “It never feels good when the opponent does it to you, so I don’t do it to them.”

I think it’s more of an AHL move, but since he hasn’t been his usual powerhouse Bi-fugly-in self this series, I guess his emotions got the best of him.  I only hate him when he plays us, so I don’t think it’s too bad.  Still, I could do without it.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 05/06/10 at 03:04 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I thought it was entertaining.  I agree there is a line, but to show a little personality via interaction with the crowd occasionally is alright.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/06/10 at 03:10 AM ET

Not really to much. Reminds me of the time Chelios came out in Van for his star of the game selection, which is the time the came back down 0-2 I believe.

Posted by ME on 05/06/10 at 03:11 AM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Too much, especially for a rebound goal in front of the net. Sure, it takes lots of work to get that done, but in addition to taunting paying fans for the opposing team, he’s making the spotlight about HIM. He’s taking it away from his team.

It’s the same reason I hate it when WRs do their fancy dances in the NFL. Those pricks do the least taxing part in earning those points - they run and catch a ball thrown to them. And while its impressive, and an integral part of the score, the dance takes away from the rest of the team. The guys on the line who give the QB time to make the right decision and the perfect throw. The other guys on the field who draw the defense away. It’s a team sport. Celebrate with your team. That showboating bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/06/10 at 03:40 AM ET

I like Byfuglein so my biased opinion is that when you work hard and take a lot of crap from the other team (including a blocker/stick shot to the kidneys from luongo in this case…) you get the right to be as douchebaggy as you want to be especially if it means the opposing fans throw plastic bags at you (um…what? was it hat night?).  Plus…you know the guy also has to put up with racist s*it too from the fans and the other players so…Byfuglein can do whatever the hell he wants in my opinion.  I had to knock quite a few teeth out for similar reasons when I played in high school.

Posted by stoneman from vegas on 05/06/10 at 03:44 AM ET

Very Ovechkin like…douche bag. Just go hug your teammates and act like you still have 2 games left until you advance, Christ this isn’t game 7.

Posted by lemieux from PGH on 05/06/10 at 04:42 AM ET

bitterguy's avatar

one of the biggest douche bags in the league, i would love to see someone cross check him in his fat face.

Posted by bitterguy from san francisco, ca on 05/06/10 at 05:34 AM ET

edillac's avatar

super cool,let those haters feel it,

I just cant believe the people commenting here,
sickos

Posted by edillac from isolation on 05/06/10 at 05:46 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

any evidence that he has to put up with racism from other players? Where is that coming from?

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/10 at 08:50 AM ET

edillac's avatar

is the majority of NHL fans really Ned Flanders clones,
I dont know about racism,it is probable,most players in the league are midlle class whiteboys from smaller cities-communities,
I saw a picture of a certain Wings legend once ‘shooting’ at the certain crowd with his stick, in my mind rightfully so
I wouldnt mind if one of our players celebrated like Dustin there,he put a lot of effort in that game,whole game

Posted by edillac from isolation on 05/06/10 at 09:24 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I like when players show emotion ala Ovechkin, but the taunting was a little over the top.  I can see where he was coming from because of the press he was receiving prior to the game, and wanting to rub it in their face a little but dial it back a notch.

In my opinion, the interference on RL when he “scored” his third goal was more offensive.  Had that been Holmstrom.  No goal plus 2 for goalie interference.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 05/06/10 at 09:50 AM ET

Too much celebration at an away game - it seemed to be taunting to me, not really a celebration.

Posted by scurvy_blllaaarrrgh from Chicago on 05/06/10 at 09:53 AM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Had that been Holmstrom.  No goal plus 2 for goalie interference.

That was my thought when they scored. “Red Wing fans must be going nuts. How could that not be goalie interference”.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 05/06/10 at 10:07 AM ET

goon's avatar

I loved it…

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/06/10 at 10:13 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Ted Lindsay did the gun thing at the end of the game where he and Howe received a death threat before the game. Someone called Maple Leaf Gardens and said if Howe or Lindsay played that night, they’d be shot. AFTER the game concluded, Lindsay skated to center ice and pretended to snipe the would-be sniper, to make a joke out of the situation. He claims that a lot of the crowd laughed at his antics.

It’s a lot different than just celebrating a goal.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/10 at 10:14 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

It’s a lot different than just celebrating a goal.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/10 at 08:14 AM ET

omg…

Posted by pgoody on 05/06/10 at 10:30 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Are us Red Wings fans forgetting Chris Chelios’ in your face happy dance at the end of Game 4 in Vancouver in 2002?

I wonder how many of you thought that was bush league as well.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/06/10 at 10:32 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Vancouver/Chicago is turning into a hell of a rivalry thanks to what’s becoming two years of hotly contested playoff series.

If Byfuglien does this in a regular season game against the Predators, he’s a showoff dick.  Given the circumstances, I like this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/06/10 at 10:36 AM ET

Moq's avatar

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that celebration. This is the playoffs, not a funeral.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 05/06/10 at 10:51 AM ET

I have no problem with it.  If I was a Nucks fan, I’d prefer it.  It adds fuel to the fire for next game and if anything more BB material for the team.

Posted by Geno71 on 05/06/10 at 11:01 AM ET

Does anyone see the Uncanny resemblance Between Byfuglien & the Late Phil Lynott of the Rock Band Thin Lizzy ?/

Posted by Evilpens on 05/06/10 at 11:03 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I don’t think it was over the top or too much. See Ovechkins wanna be Chad Ochocinco impressions for too much.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/06/10 at 11:16 AM ET

edillac's avatar

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 05/06/10 at 08:51 AM ET

good one

Posted by edillac from isolation on 05/06/10 at 11:30 AM ET

Good to see some in your face attitude instead of the players running through the motions of an automaton

Posted by Sawyer on 05/06/10 at 11:42 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Most goal celebrations beyond a fist pump or raised stick are a bit much. Any act by an individual singling out the individual over the team sorta bothers me. It doesn’t matter which team is doing it. I like the way the Sedin brothers and Datsyuk celebrate. That’s my ideal.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/10 at 11:45 AM ET

No problem at all with it whatsoever.  Let the man enjoy himself.  Folks in Vancouver want to whine about it?  Maybe they’d be happy if Rick Rypien went out and broke Byfuglien’s neck.  Give them something to cheer about, eh?

The sound of sore losers is an ugly sound.  Quit squawking and tell your team to play better.

Posted by Ken from Boston on 05/06/10 at 11:49 AM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Posted by Kstewy16 on 05/06/10 at 12:55 AM ET

ditto

Wait a second, did I just agree with Kstewy16? Maybe we all can get along…

NAH!          LOL

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/06/10 at 11:58 AM ET

Andy from FightNight's avatar

I think it is very telling that Moq and Edillac are the ones having no problem with it. Neither do I. We Europeans are used to football players celebrating and we have a whole different outlook on celebrations.

Look, celebrations are, mainly, not there to mock the opposition, but to celebrate something you did yourself. I have no problem with that at all.

But I dare Don Cherry to attack Byfuglien the way he attacked Ovechkin, that attack is still one of the most sickening things I have ever seen.

Posted by Andy from FightNight on 05/06/10 at 12:07 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Andy—

I understand and agree with your point. IMHO, though, this was about 75% mocking, 20% celebration and 5% Ice Capades.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/06/10 at 12:46 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’d say 50% babytown frolics, 45% douchebaggery and 5% hockey playing.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/10 at 01:18 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

2 parts vodka, 1 part gin and a splash of vermouth.

Like I said, in hard-fought and intense playoff rivalries, I want this kind of grandstanding; it really shows that the players are invested in the growing emotions of the games.  But, if he pulls this shit in a meaningless regular season matchup like Ovechkin did, then it really is just douchebaggery.

Byfuglien gets a pass for context; this is not the same thing as the Ovechkin celebration.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/06/10 at 01:25 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

...it really shows that the players are invested in the growing emotions of the games.  But, if he pulls this shit in a meaningless regular season matchup like Ovechkin did, then it really is just douchebaggery.

Again the Kansas Kid with great perspective. You’re on your game today JJ.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 05/06/10 at 01:30 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by stoneman from vegas

I’d be interested to know if he has to deal with any of that in the NHL. Earlier in his career probably, but the guy is also massive so I’m sure people tread lightly.

Didn’t like the celebration at first but I’m cool with it now. Playoff emotions and a guy doing a dirty job, being hated. Net crashing, hard hits on Dmen and a little taunting are all about getting the Nucks to think about him and not the game, or the other great players Chicago has.

Good on you Hateable dude.

Posted by Osrt on 05/06/10 at 02:00 PM ET

I’ve seen worse at the ECHL level.  I have no problems with Byfuglien’s celebration neither.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/06/10 at 03:50 PM ET

Bill from GR's avatar

I’m old school Vince Lombardi… “Act like you’ve been there before”

I don’t like any taunting or dancing BS.  I love the honest, emotional jump for joy, fist pump, group hug thing.  You know, an unplanned emotional celebration instead of a “look at me” moment.

Posted by Bill from GR on 05/06/10 at 05:57 PM ET

Not much of a celebration to in my view. I wouldn’t call it excessive.

Posted by timbits on 05/06/10 at 10:29 PM ET