Bryzgalov Statement

from the Courier Post,

“As my family and I move forward to meet the new challenges ahead, I could not leave Philadelphia without publicly thanking Mr. Snider for the faith he showed in me when he committed to the long term contract that has secured my family’s financial future and acknowledging his passion for the game of hockey. Jeniya and I really appreciate his faith in me and what he has done for our family. Mr. Snider has an amazing energy for the deals he does and for winning. Hockey fans in this area should consider themselves lucky to have the team they cheer for led by a man who is as passionate about winning and doing whatever it takes to win as Flyers’ fans are. Getting to know Mr. Snider, has been a great experience. To see his passion for this game has been inspiring.

“I am grateful for teammates, to management and fans for the support I felt from so many of them through some very dark days and difficult situations. I have made many friends here – on the team, in the organization, among the media and throughout the community. Don’t ever think that I didn’t appreciate the kind comments of support made in the media by teammates and management and in private by so many very nice people I met on the streets of Philadelphia and in the surrounding area.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ilya+bryzgalov

Comments

detroitredwings's avatar

..and nothing about starts, space, and/or Universe.

Posted by detroitredwings on 06/26/13 at 10:05 AM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

*stars

Posted by detroitredwings on 06/26/13 at 10:05 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

“I will gladly take Mr. Snider’s money to go play for another team, one that most likely will have a better chance at winning the Cup.”

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 06/26/13 at 12:47 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 06/26/13 at 01:47 PM ET

You’re assuming anyone in the NHL will touch him. The only place I could see him land is on Long Island because Garth Snow likes collecting goalies. I can’t see where he ever plays in the NHL again.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 06/26/13 at 01:21 PM ET

Oh you are wrong there my friend.  There are definitely teams out there that will be looking at giving him a chance to prove the flyers wrong.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/26/13 at 02:28 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/26/13 at 03:28 PM ET

Really? What teams out there have goaltending situations in flux besides the Flyers that might want to pay him starter money? The only ones I could think of are Minnesota (if they don’t resign Backstrom), Edmonton (only because their goalies are young), Calgary (Kipper may/will retire), Dallas, Buffalo (if Miller goes), Colorado, Florida, Tampa Bay and Phoenix.

I would cross Edmonton off the list because of how young that team is they might not want to bring in someone with Bryz’s personality. Minnesota and Buffalo probably won’t be available because they will keep their incumbents. I don’t think Roy will put up with Bryz so Colorado’s probably out as well. That leaves Calgary, Dallas, Florida, TB, and Phoenix. Bryz would never go to Calgary and I don’t think Phoenix would want him back considering the comments out of the dressing room after he left.

Now we’re down to the Florida teams and Dallas. I can’t see Ruff putting up with him in Dallas, however, he dealt with Hasek so he knows how to handle eccentric goalies. That would leave the 2 Florida teams. Do you really think Stevie Y would bring in another goalie at this point? I don’t which means, to me anyways, it would come down to Florida (and darkhorse Dallas) or the KHL (or other foreign league) or event thanks everyone and he goes into retirement. Florida probably wouldn’t put up the money so that really points to overseas somewhere.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 06/26/13 at 02:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Dan Tencer talked with Ritch Winter, Bryz’s agent today…

Winter said Bryzgalov would hate the weather in Edmonton but would love the energy in a hockey city and thinks the team can win. He’d come.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/26/13 at 03:01 PM ET

So only a third of the league could be interested in him?

You’re making an awful lot of assumptions in your elmination of many teams.

Plus, who says he’s going to command “starter money”?  When you’re bought out you don’t have a lot of clout to be able to demand starter money.  He could end up anywhere that has either no starter right now or any kind of question mark in goal.

Posted by Garth on 06/26/13 at 04:18 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Why on earth would Dallas be interested?  They’re thrilled with Lehtonen, consider him their best player the last few years, and are on the hook for five more years at 5.9M.  I really begin to question where you’re coming up with this.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/26/13 at 07:53 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/26/13 at 08:53 PM ET

Sorry, I completely forgot about Lehtonen, so yeah, Dallas would be out.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 06/27/13 at 08:57 AM ET