Bryan Murray Speaks His Mind

from Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun,

Bryan Murray fired back at Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins Sunday.

The Senators GM warned the Penguins superstar and coach Dan Bylsma they might want to watch out the next time the teams face off on Dec. 16 at Scotiabank Place because it could get rough.

Murray sounded off after Bylsma and Crosby, speaking in Montreal Saturday night, defended his actions in elbowing winger Nick Foligno to the head Friday in Pittsburgh.

“The rules are very clear now,” said Murray. “If you fall into a goaltender and touch a goaltender, an elbow to the head and a butt end to the head is fair game. Dan Bylsma said that’s OK for them. Sidney said Nick Foligno is that kind of player.

“I wish (Foligno) was that kind of player. I thought the referees in that game, watching it and hearing the comments, it was 2-on-2. He fell over the goaltender. He was cross-checked four times. There was no question, did he get pushed? I don’t know. He got cross-checked, I thought he got a butt end, but it might have been a full elbow. (Chris) Kunitz comes in with a cross-check and the penalties were even…”.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bryan+murray

Comments

Kunitz should have gotten a roughing penalty.

Posted by teldar on 11/28/11 at 12:50 AM ET

Hey Penguin fans. Check out all the, non-Red Wing fan, hate on the Ottawa Sun message board directed at HIS HOLINESS. Guess its not exclusive to Red Wing fans.Sorry Evilpens:(

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 11/28/11 at 02:21 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Kinda dickish to be only recently returned from a potentially career ending head injury and then elbow someone in the head.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/28/11 at 02:23 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

This is going to get ugly.  The Pens and Co. had a lot to say over the off season about head shots, and they were right to say those things.  But those comments came with the responsibility to follow through on them.  The appropriate thing for Crosby to have done was apologize.  Instead he and the Pens have taken the same tone they used when Matt Cooke was deliberately blasting opponents in the head.  People on the site have said lately that Crosby doesn’t deserve the reputation that he is a whiner.  I’d say the word is inaccurate.  He is tactless.  Crosby had an opportunity to swallow his ego and let bygones be bygones, but instead of neutralizing the situation, he escalated it.

A lot of people, fans, press, players, etc, have felt that the Pens have been having it both ways in many respects for a while now.  Whether its right or wrong to think so isn’t as important as the fact that the sentiment is prevalent.  Now we have a GM throwing down the gauntlet and effectively legitimizing the those thoughts and opinions.  I don’t see how anything good can come from this and I won’t be surprised to see a replay of the NYI/PIT debacle.

The NHL is now in a much worse situation in relation to the Crosby question than it was when he was hurt.  It would have been a smart PR move on Shanahan’s part to suspend Crosby for a game, regardless of whether or not it was deserved.  It would have put the idea to bed that Crosby is “above the law,” and taken away the supposed need for vigilante justice that the Senators are now seeking.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/28/11 at 03:00 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

All I know is I’m watching that game

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/28/11 at 03:08 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

You can’t (or shouldn’t) penalize Sid or anybody based on public perception. The whole ‘‘the refs love the Pens, Bettman loves the Pens’’ drivel is nonsense based on blind hate. Whether it’s Flyers fans that just don’t like anything Penguins or just contempt for Crosby’s abilities, it’s ridiculous.

Not everyone is going to like Crosby or the Penguins. That’s fact. But Sid gets held to such a ridiculous standard. Every time he’s shown talking to an official, he’s perceived as whining. If he elbows a player like Friday night, he’s a hypocrite and dirty. It’s outrageous.

With this particular incident, everyone just assumes Sid attacked Foligno for no reason. Contrary to popular belief, that was the third time Foligno ran into Fleury. Deryk Engelland gave him a few cross checks after the first time, but obviously Foligno didn’t heed the message. If you run or constantly get tangled with the opponent’s goaltender, expect to get dealt with. Anybody who’s played hockey will tell you that. What Crosby did was a penalty and nothing more. To say he should be suspended for that is ridiculous. That kind of battling occurs every night in the league. Shanahan would be working 30-hour days if players could be suspended for that kind of stuff.

Foligno then plays dumb, acting like he’s surprised an opposing player would stick up for his goaltender.

“I don’t know what he expects after he runs a goalie three times. He’s probably lucky it was me that was handling it and not someone else. I think if he’s going to do that, he should be ready to expect a response.”

It’s like robbing a bank and asking why the police are coming after you. Yes, Foligno’s that stupid. The Penguins tried dealing with Foligno after the first run-in with Fleury, but it obviously didn’t deter him. What Sid did was justified. The kid gets it.

This incident would have been blown over if Crosby wasn’t involved. Instead, it’s been blown out of proportion.

Posted by cs6687 on 11/28/11 at 03:25 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Overblown or not cs, Crosby had the chance to neutralize the situation and he chose otherwise.  Its customary to expect shoves and cross checks when you skate into the other teams goalie.  You don’t expect a forearm shiver from the NHL’s concussion poster child.  Whether Sid was right or wrong in the context of that game isn’t really the point if you ask me.

The point is that Crosby painted the target on his back a little bit bigger with his attitude on this one.  Crosby is under intense scrutiny, and we can analyze whether or not its fair until we are blue in the face.  You’re not wrong to say that its all overblown because of the people involved, but that doesn’t change the reality of Crosby’s popular perception.

I think a suspension or an apology would have let a lot of steam out of a boiler that is only going to get hotter with every perceived misstep Crosby makes.  I mean this with all honesty when I say that Shanny would have been doing him a favor by sitting him for a game.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/28/11 at 04:02 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Oh hell. Do we really need GMs weighing in on this nothing situation?

Did Bylsma even need to say anything?

Next thing you know, Lemieux will hold a press conference to address this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/28/11 at 04:38 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

cs6687

I believe it was a players poll that labelled him the “biggest whiner” , last year??

Posted by Rdwings28 on 11/28/11 at 09:22 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

We should get an over/under on how many minutes it will take until Crosby gets an elbow to the head. It isn’t that I want to see it happen, but given how Crosby’s defenders are fine with sorting things out on the ice, I could see someone sorting out the smack talk from the league’s poster boy.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/28/11 at 11:24 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Sylvester The Cat whines about everything !

What I want to know is this How does this buffoon still have a job? he Hires Craig Hartsberg fires him after about 10 games Promotes Cory Clouston & eventually fire Clouston, How many times does he get to fail on Hiring coaches ?

Posted by Evilpens on 11/28/11 at 11:54 AM ET

This incident would have been blown over if Crosby wasn’t involved.

Would it have been possible for you to miss the point any more than you did.

The reason for the coverage is exactly because it was Crosby.  There’s no coincidence or irony there.

Crosby missed ten months because of a headshot.
In that time he went from a guy who blindly defended sh*theads like Matt Cooke to a guy who was very vocal in the headshot debate.

And now, in his third game back, he elbows someone in the head and has his coach defending him.

Can you really not understand why people are making a big deal out of it?

Next thing you know, Lemieux will hold a press conference to address this.

“If the NHL doesn’t turn a blind eye to Sidney Crosby, I might have to rethink my participation in this league.”

Posted by Garth on 11/28/11 at 12:13 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Well I have to say, I spent a good deal of energy defending Crosby as having grow up a lot and no longer being deserving of the whiner/immature brat label. And now I feel like I have egg on my face.

He’s definitely a much more mature player than he was two seasons ago, but that play was definitely him letting his temper get the best of him. That is the type of move I expect from undisciplined meatheads like Pronger and Weber. And to a degree, those guys almost have to take some undisciplined penalties because lots of their success as defenders is predicated on their physicality and their ability to make their opponent think twice about things.

But for Crosby… the guy is just too damn good at everything to waste his time with something like this. The short cross-checks were one thing—pretty standard when the guy you are hitting has been around on your goalie all game. But the pop to the face sure just looked like Crosby losing his cool in a situation where he really had no reason to… he’s stronger than Foligno, he could’ve tied his stick up and won the hockey battle without doing that.

The talk about this is a little over the top though… This isn’t exactly a “clean” play but c’mon, I think even calling it an elbow is a little much. It really wasn’t any different than the pops players give each other in a scrum after the whistle. The only real danger here that deserves pointing out is how close the butt-end of Crosby’s stick was to Foligno’s face. That’s the real reason this specific play doesn’t belong in the game.

It is a bit silly how defensive the Pens organization is… fact is, the situation with Crosby’s concussion and their employment of Matt Cooke means they really should probably just stick to, “No comment,” for situations like this.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/28/11 at 12:18 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Time to put this issue to bed.
All the comments, and all the threads…
The only one that makes sense, was from Crosby himself at the end of the article….

“I don’t (know) what he’s talking about. I was preaching about the hits like (Max Pacioretty’s hit on Kris Letang (Saturday), not a scrum,” said Crosby when asked about Foligno’s comments after the game Saturday in Montreal. “I don’t know what he expects after he runs a goalie three times.

“He’s probably lucky it was me that was handling it and not someone else. I think if he’s going to do that, he should be ready to expect a response.”

Crosby claimed Foligno was trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/28/11 at 01:26 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

“I think he’s blowing it totally out of proportion,” said Crosby. “Two nights before that I go into a scrum and I get punched in the head. I accept that. I’m going into a scrum that’s part of playing the game.”

Maybe that headshot did some permanent damage. It’s the “part of the game” that nearly killed his career.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/28/11 at 02:48 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by redxblack

No, they were blindside random hits, one in open ice.  Nothing to do with goalcrease scrums.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/28/11 at 02:55 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

So the direction of a hit matters more than the fact that it was a hit to the head? A person can get a concussion from an elbow to the face just as much as from a blindside hit.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/28/11 at 04:10 PM ET

I hope Neil and Konopka play on all four lines for this one.

Posted by godblender on 11/28/11 at 05:37 PM ET