Broadcast Access Now An Issue For The NHL

from Rick Westhead of TSN,

The National Hockey League has lost a court motion to dismiss a case filed by six fans who allege that the its restrictions on local TV broadcasts are anti-competitive.

The case is expected to proceed to trial early in 2015. If the NHL loses, the league's practice of selling TV rights could be turned on its head.

Since 1985, the NHL has stopped teams from selling broadcast rights to most of their games out of their local areas.

If this latest litigation is successful, it's possible that popular teams like the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks could begin selling their broadcast rights throughout the United States.

In a lawsuit filed in New York two years ago, a group of disgruntled fans claimed that the restrictions on broadcasting were inappropriately driving up the price of sports cable television packages. The NHL subsequently filed a motion to dismiss the case and a judge ruled this week against that motion. The ruling was unsealed on Friday.

continued

Here is the original story on this topic Westhead did in March, 2012 when he was with the Toronto Star.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

MLB involved in this too, AP story.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/08/14 at 04:04 PM ET

This is awesome. I would LOVE to be able to buy rights to watch the Wings without having to buy the rights for the rest of the league as well. I wouldn’t care if I had to pay half as much to get the Wings if it meant I didn’t have to pay the other half to not watch edmonton.

Posted by teldar on 08/08/14 at 04:27 PM ET

awould's avatar

If I could pay to get just Red Wings, Michigan football and Arizona State football, I could get rid of cable/dish for good.

Posted by awould on 08/08/14 at 10:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

One more link, The Hollywood Reporter has a good story on this.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/09/14 at 11:39 AM ET

As a DirecTV and Center Ice customer I like the lawsuit. If they can’t blackout games, then NHL games shown on the RSN should be available without Center Ice on the sports package. I could see DirecTV charging more for the sports package. However if you can get NHL games you want streamed over the internet I may be inclined to cut the cord and stop the money gouging satellite and cable companies. The cost of television has gone through the roof.

Posted by Puckbubba on 08/09/14 at 01:10 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

i sure hope this goes through. I have been on here several times explaining my deal, id love to talk to the judge and tell my story on how effed up things are. I just want my damned wings games.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 08/09/14 at 06:51 PM ET