Briere Suspended Three Games

via Philadelphia Flyers tweet,

GM Paul Holmgren confirms that Danny Briere has received a 3 game suspension from the NHL

Miss the cross-check?  Watch it here.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: daniel+briere

Comments

Alan's avatar

What a dirty douchebag.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/01/10 at 01:40 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Dirty but not sure if three games is the right amount.  Maybe one or two.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 11/01/10 at 01:52 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Isn’t Briere a “repeat offender?” Maybe that’s why he got three.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 11/01/10 at 02:06 PM ET

Pharazon's avatar

seems a bit of a weir suspension in my book

Posted by Pharazon from England on 11/01/10 at 02:36 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I guessed right! I guessed where the wheel would land! Woohoo!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/01/10 at 02:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Good length, the league got this one right.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/01/10 at 03:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

TORONTO (November 1, 2010) – Philadelphia Flyers forward Daniel Briere has been suspended for three games and will forfeit $237,804.87 for cross checking New York Islanders player Frans Nielsen during NHL game #146 on October 30.

The incident occurred at 19:00 of the third period and Briere was assessed a major penalty for cross checking and a game misconduct.

Briere, who was suspended for two games on November 23, 2009, is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.  Accordingly, he forfeits his salary based on the number of games in the season (82), rather than the number of days (186). The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Briere will miss the Flyers’ next three games—tonight against Carolina, Thursday against the New York Rangers and Saturday at the New York Islanders. He is eligible to return Nov. 7 when the Flyers visit the Washington Capitals.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/01/10 at 04:59 PM ET

Moq's avatar

Surprisingly suitable punishment for Briere’s stupendously stupid stick service.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 11/01/10 at 07:27 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

Maybe it’s because I’m short myself and frequently have bigger people try to intimidate me on the ice, but I kind of liked Briere’s response. What else is he going to do? Nielsen looks a foot taller than him.  Now, in the grand scheme of stick work to the head this was pretty minor, but I know if it had been Zetterberg or Datsyuk getting clipped I’d be pissed.  I understand the outrage, but part of me still likes seeing him going for the throat, so to speak.  Maybe I’m just a jerk, but I know the burning rage of being discounted because of my size.

Posted by PDXWing on 11/01/10 at 09:35 PM ET