Briere Cross-Check Suspension Worthy?

I’ll catch up on this weekend’s three cheers later and also chime in with thoughts on Tampa Bay’s win in Phoenix (with no games on the slate, I’ve got plenty of time) but, for now, have a look at Danny Briere’s stickwork on Frans Nielsen in the final minute of Philadelphia’s 6-1 trouncing of the Islanders.

Maybe it wasn’t a cross-check, as called on the ice (of the major/game misconduct variety) but it was most definitely a deliberate shot to the head with the stick and, for that, I say, he deserves to sit out a game or two. There’s just no place in the game for as much…

Thoughts?

JJ
jj@kuklaskorner.com
JJ on Twitter
The Bolts Beat podcast archive

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: danny+briere, frans+nielsen

Comments

Moq's avatar

Briere is immensely talented, but he and Carcillo are dirty bastards. That double mugging of my countryman is a disgrace, and deserves some kind of league action. It doesn’t belong in the game. However, I’m not optimistic about disciplinary action being underway.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 10/31/10 at 01:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Had the game already gotten really chippy by this point?  I can’t imagine why Briere would pull this shit up 6-1, but he does have that napoleon complex temper about him.  No idea what Nielsen said, but if Briere had that big a problem with it, he should have dropped the gloves.

Hell, the least he could have done is drop the stick before taking a cheap shot across Nielsen’s face.  I agree that he should sit for two games for this.

I’d also fine Carcillo for trying to elbow Nielsen in the back of the head off the faceoff and then slashing at the back of DiPietro’s knee as the goaltender skated out to have words (or worse) with the punk shit Briere.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/31/10 at 01:06 PM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

Mog, I don’t see how anyone could ever be optimistic about the right course of disciplinary action EVER being taken by the league these days, given recent history.

And, J.J., I didn’t see the whole game but, yeah, it seems it did get chippy before that. I do know Konopka and Carcillo fought twice and that there was one other significant scrum prior to that. Also, looks like there was another major - to Trent Hunter for boarding - earlier and that DiPietro tried to get involved before as well, aside from his antics during the scrum in the video.

Agreed that he should have just dropped the gloves but, remember, if he gets an instigator there in the final moments, that can get pricy for player and coach!

We’ll see what happens…

JJ

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 10/31/10 at 01:19 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

2-3 games would be in order. Spin the wheel, Colin.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/31/10 at 01:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That’s a good point and it’s exactly why I hope Briere gets double the standard punishment for the blowout-ending instigator rule.  Don’t want players pulling that crap at the end of the game, but if they’re going to go even cheaper than that, then they need to be punished more severely.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/31/10 at 01:27 PM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

2-3 games would be in order. Spin the wheel, Colin

Hahahaha. Exactly!!!

JJ

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 10/31/10 at 01:29 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

The Garden Gnome is a gutless Turd !! & Carcillo is a whackjob !! that is THE reason the Pens traded him for Laraque

Posted by Evilpens on 10/31/10 at 01:31 PM ET

I’m not a fan of either team so I don’t have any bias on this.  You’ve got to be kidding, one or two games.  An intentional stick strike to the head should be at least 5 games if not ten.  Isn’t that the whole reason fights are tolerated in hockey, because they serve as an outlet to avoid using the sticks as weapons.  I wouldn’t even be surprised if the islanders get the cops involved.  Why not just sucker punch the guy if you’re that pissed?  I’ve lost all respect for Briere and you can bet retribution comes his way sooner or later.

Posted by oilfan on 10/31/10 at 01:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

According to Darren Dreger, 10am conference call with the NHL tomorrow for Briere.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/31/10 at 02:23 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Wow, that was brutal. I’m expecting 3 games from the league, but I’m with oilfan, any time using the stick as a weapon like that should be 5.

And nice work gooning it up while you’ve got 2 more players on the ice than your opponent.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 10/31/10 at 03:01 PM ET

That was a Central Hockey League C&cksucker;move!!

Posted by timbits on 10/31/10 at 03:32 PM ET

Puppies and Hookers's avatar

Since I doubt Briere has a history of suspensions, 5 games seems fair.  I had imagined the guy to be a good fella, but from this it’s clear he is a gutless cheap-shot POS.  Trade him to the Ducks.  Gotta say though, I’d love to know what poetry Nielsen recited prior to that face-off…

Posted by Puppies and Hookers from La la land on 10/31/10 at 03:35 PM ET

I generally don’t like the stickwork but I must say, seeing Nielsen stepping across the line and leaning into Briere before the faceoff, about a foot taller, expecting to intimidate the smaller guy kind of made me chuckle.  Big Danish guy (with a good sense for design and style) vs small (but hot headed) French Canadian.  Nielsen was lucky Briere didn’t go for the family jewels.  They were closer to Briere than Nielsen’s head.

Posted by CallMeJerry on 10/31/10 at 04:49 PM ET

Definitely deliberate stickwork by Briere.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/31/10 at 07:01 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

The Briere cross-check has been endorsed by Mike Milbury.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 10/31/10 at 08:11 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

The Briere cross-check has been endorsed by Mike Milbury.

Posted by Lindas1st

And Don Cherry plans to sue for copyright infringement.

Posted by Osrt on 11/01/10 at 12:06 AM ET

perfection's avatar

absolutely should be suspended…  dirty as hell. 3-5 games.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/01/10 at 03:08 AM ET

perfection's avatar

have to say though, you gotta love the injury prone DiPietro not hesitating shedding gear ready to pound Briere. that’s some warrior shit which i always respect in goaltenders.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/01/10 at 03:15 AM ET

Siggy:

I recall Briere dropping the gloves last season with Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

That would be Vlasic of the Sharks, who, last I checked, had one hit this entire season thus-far.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 11/01/10 at 05:13 AM ET

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 10/31/10 at 11:19 AM ET

This is the cold, hard, sad truth of the matter. Briere should be fined and suspended for his actions. There is absolutely no reason for him to do that regardless of the score.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 11/01/10 at 11:33 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Hey Puppies, what did McCarty get for the Lemieux beat-down?  I think it was a double roughing minor, no?

LOL.