Brian Rafalski On His Return To Hockey

from Bill Roose of the Wings website,

“It’s not about what I want,” said Rafalski, in an exclusive interview with DetroitRedWings.com. “For the last two and a half years I’ve had no calling to (play hockey) and the people around me know that. I haven’t done much as far as training or anything. So God put this in my heart in early December and I’ve been praying, and He hasn’t told me not to continue. … All I can do is follow His will.”...

Last week, Rafalski asked for and received his release from Red Wings general manager Ken Holland, thus making the defenseman an unrestricted free agent should he seek a comeback to the league that he spent 11 seasons as a player.

“Yes, there were talks because he had to release me for me to play here,” Rafalski said of his conversation with Holland.

Asked if the Wings showed interest in him playing for their ECHL affiliate in Toledo, Rafalski said: “I’m not leaving (Florida). I have too many commitments here right now. There are those things that would have to be address. My family is established here with my two boys in school. They’re not going anywhere.”

much more

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brian+rafalski

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

I hadn’t heard anything about Rafalski since he retired, but I thought he was living in Wisconsin.

Anyways, I think he just has an itch to play - I don’t see this turning into anything big, and I doubt he’d join an AHL or NHL team where he would be traveling a lot.

Good for him.  I hope he has fun, whichever way it works out.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/10/14 at 04:21 PM ET

TEMO's avatar

Screw fun!  wink

Help us, Raf!!

Posted by TEMO from LANSING, MICHIGAN, U.S.A. on 01/10/14 at 04:29 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Brian Rafalski could not help this team in it’s current form. He’d be hit more now than his last season here.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/10/14 at 05:07 PM ET

pautna's avatar

Wait, so he’s hearing a voice in his head and he thinks it’s god?!? I think he needs some help with that.

Posted by pautna on 01/10/14 at 06:01 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

We’ll know how strong the god voice is when/if it gets to contract time.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/10/14 at 06:21 PM ET

Chet's avatar

lol. the “god” stuff is getting tiresome.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 01/10/14 at 07:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Why do you even care about the “god” stuff?  It’s the mans’ personal beliefs.  I’m not a religious person at all but I don’t stick my nose where it doesn’t belong.

Posted by calquake on 01/10/14 at 07:49 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Because he makes it so conspicuous.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/10/14 at 08:12 PM ET

perfection's avatar

right?

I respect all religions and everyone’s freedom to believe what they want, but it’s so incredibly obnoxious when people insert their religious beliefs in every single statement regardless of the context. He managed to slip a god reference into his 5 second winter classic interview (which I actually predicted he would do right before) and now he frames his desire to play a friggin sport like any creator of the universe would give a crap what game he chooses to pass his time playing.

and I’m not even saying people should conceal their faith or never mention it or anything, but there’s clearly a line when that’s all you talk about where it’s not only annoying but indicative of some mental imbalance IMO.

I bet he prays for permission to take his daily poop and then prays for forgiveness after   cool cheese

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/10/14 at 09:36 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Because he makes it so conspicuous.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/10/14 at 07:12 PM ET

And your sarcasm of it makes you look like an ass but hey, we don’t care what you post.

Let it go; the man was an elite puck mover until his body gave out and he wants to explain it doesn’t affect anyone but himself.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/10/14 at 09:39 PM ET