Brad Richards In Wait And See Mode

from Jason Malloy of The Guardian Charlottetown,

Brad Richards knows his hockey career is winding down, but he’s not ready to hang up the skates just yet.

The 36-year-old Murray Harbour native said he will wait to see if the right fit presents itself come July 1 when he is allowed to talk to NHL teams.

“I want to look at free agency and see who calls and what opportunities are there, but I haven’t made my mind up with what I want to do yet,” he said.

“I’ve been fortunate to do a lot of great things in hockey, and hockey has been great to me. If it was time, I wouldn’t feel cheated, but I’m not there yet.”

Richards played 68 games this season with the Detroit Red Wings, his third team in three seasons. He missed some games early in the season with a back injury and said he was playing catch up from there.

“It didn’t seem like we ever got firing on all cylinders, just probably wasn't a great fit for me.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brad+richards

Comments

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Watch Kenny offer him something when his other couple of stabs at UFAs and trades fall through. Welcome back, Brad!

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/03/16 at 10:02 AM ET

This team didn’t need what Brad Richards was, even considering Pav was gonna miss time.

I laugh at the amateur beat writers who claim he was a disappointment. He provided exactly what one should have expected. He’s been on the same downward trajectory for the last 4 years. To have expected more than what he gave is ignorant.

You can’t even get mad at him for ice time taken away from younger guys. That’s Holland and Blash.

Posted by Unsaddled on 06/03/16 at 11:23 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Yes, I hate that playing Richards meant limiting Jurco and Pulk from playing full seasons and scoring 60 goals each.  Holland and Blash, you are the worst.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/03/16 at 11:47 AM ET

Bad Richards as done in 2015, what saved him was his playoff performance but that was probably what finally drained his tank.  Maybe he gets a TC invite from some club but his shelf life is all but expired

Posted by bababooey on 06/03/16 at 12:27 PM ET

TreKonner, I was concerned that I may have been too subtle, but I can see that you knew exactly what I meant.

Posted by Unsaddled on 06/03/16 at 12:36 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 06/03/16 at 11:47 AM ET

Yeah, f*ck developing talent!  Who needs the young guys to play and get better?  Not the mighty, failing-our-way-into-the-playoffs Red Wings!!!

Posted by Garth on 06/03/16 at 03:55 PM ET