Brad Richards Announces His Retirement

from the NHLPA,

Brad Richards is announcing his retirement today from the National Hockey League (NHL), following a decorated career that spanned 15 seasons.

Richards played a total of 1,126 career NHL games with five different teams: Tampa Bay Lightning, Dallas Stars, New York Rangers, Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings. The talented and highly skilled forward notched 298 goals and 634 assists for 932 points over the course of his career. He also eclipsed the 100-point plateau in career playoff scoring, registering 105 points in 146 postseason games.

“I want to thank the fans and the five organizations I have played for: Tampa Bay, Dallas, and the three original six teams — the New York Rangers, Chicago, and Detroit. During my time with those teams I met many great people. I also want to thank the staff and management in those organizations for all the help and support they gave me. I appreciate all the trainers who did tireless work to help me play and keep me healthy. I had many amazing teammates and made many great friendships along the way that I truly appreciate, and I will never forget the great times we had together. Thank you to all my coaches for pushing, teaching and giving me the opportunity to play this great game. Winning the Stanley Cups in Tampa Bay and Chicago was the best part of my career and I will never forget those moments. Nothing compares to enjoying that night with your team and knowing what you have accomplished together,” said Brad Richards.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brad+richards

Comments

TKShreve's avatar

Best of luck wherever you go, Brad. You played with some amazing players, earned a couple cups and some awards as well. I’m sure you’re retiring with a heavy heart, but your head held high.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 07/20/16 at 04:05 PM ET

Kind of surprised; he was hardly a huge factor for the Wings last year but still had a year or two left in him it seemed.

Posted by neffernin on 07/20/16 at 04:09 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

I don’t like to say it but the Wings are becoming the place where veterans go to die.  All the best to B-Rad.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 07/20/16 at 04:11 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Class act.  Couldn’t believe how “left alone” he was at a team meet-and-greet last December (Motor City casino) considering his career.  Really great chatting with him.  And I’ll always be exceptionally fond of the way he capped the outdoor game at Coors Field last February.

Not a lot of Wings fans will have much in the way of Brad Richards memories, but I’ve got a couple of really good ones in my head.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 07/20/16 at 04:20 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

He was awesome earlier in his career, but tapered off a bit.  I always admired him.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/20/16 at 04:27 PM ET

Paul's avatar

That’s a shame TM regarding the meet and greet.

He comes to an original six team, respects the sweater and gets tossed off to the side.

Most of us know the Wings PR department is pretty weak and this proves the point.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/20/16 at 04:37 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

He and Mike Green were sort of off to the side, while fans were going gaga over Pavel and Dylan.  (*I* was a bit surprised that Pavel was there, though I’ve relayed that story already here in the comment section.)  Green was pretty quiet while Richards was very obviously comfortable chatting with folks (probably something to be said for changing teams a few times and dealing with all the hype through out his CONN SMYTHE WINNING CAREER).  A few weeks later I was in Omaha and happened to meet a guest at Green’s wedding (actually it’s Mike’s tattoo artist) who said that he’s actually pretty outgoing once he gets comfortable with folks.

Anyway, I was glad that I made it a point to say hi and welcome those guys to the team.  Getting a chance to chat with 70% of the active players on the squad made up for how poorly I did in the poker tournament.  (Brenden Smith crippled me with a terrible suck out, making a straight to my top-pair.  I went out a few hands later.)

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 07/20/16 at 04:50 PM ET

Would have loved to have him in the Wings sweater years ago.  Thanks, Brad.

Posted by SYF from Jackie Redmond's blue eyes on 07/20/16 at 08:18 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Would have loved to have him in the Wings sweater years ago.  Thanks, Brad.

That would have been great. cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 07/20/16 at 10:31 PM ET