Brad Richards A Healthy Scratch Tonight

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brad+richards

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Richards is that kind of player Babs was talking about, that doesn’t enjoy being pushed to do better.  You’d think his in-game demotions would be enough.  Skill doesn’t mean shit anymore, gotta be a hard worker.  Richards already has HIS Cup though….

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 11:30 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That’s a lotta salary to be in the press box.
Quite a bit of chatter about the Rags and not playing for the coach/tuning him out etc, I’d be surprised to see Torts back next year.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/23/13 at 11:32 AM ET

Curious thing is Richards has always said one of the main reasons he went to NYR was to play for Torts, and yet now they’re on the outs.

Posted by Chris M on 05/23/13 at 11:50 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Brad Richards says he is not playing tonight. He said Tortorella called him this morning to tell him he stinks.

There. Fixed that to reflect the kind of “motivator” Tortorella seems to be.

Just try to imagine Babcock coming out after Game 1 of the Det-Chi series and saying, “Smith’s not out at important times because he stinks.” Instead, he simply said Smith’s teammates need to do a better job of supporting him. Now, that’s what a top-flight head coach does.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/23/13 at 12:15 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

OTC, I personally think it’s sad that $6-7+million dollars isn’t a “motivator” in itself.. He needs a pat on the back too.  There’s a difference when you’re working and it’s not going your way and just not working.  Franzen’s floating is tolerated because of his cap hit.  Richards is making significantly more.  Why does Torts have to lube him up just to WORK?  No one’s asking him to take another step.  They’re asking him to do what they paid him to keep doing when they bought him

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 12:24 PM ET

Hockeytown, it should be apparent in the fact that Richards is a person and should be treated with respect regardless of salary. That is what Detroit does right. People have emotions, you can’t attach a price tag to someone and expect them to all of the sudden live up to some fantasy expectation.

Posted by Extreme Monky on 05/23/13 at 12:33 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Tortorella is just a bad coach.

Posted by Primis on 05/23/13 at 12:40 PM ET

Tortorella is just a bad coach.

Posted by Primis on 05/23/13 at 12:40 PM ET

The sooner Slats figures that out and actually gets a real coach, they’re never gonna get over that stagnancy.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/23/13 at 12:49 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Cap hit seems reasonable but he was paid $12m this year. Most expensive healthy scratch ever er no? From the games I watched this year, I was not impressed with him. Lundy sure as hell saves that team though.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/23/13 at 12:58 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well, you know, HTO, sometimes it does take more than money to bring out the best in a player. Guys like Pav and Z are obviously self-motivated. But others, like Richards and maybe Smith, seem to need a “vote of confidence” (or a pat on the back) from their coach.

Some coaches can do that and others can’t. Tortorella obviously has no talent for it. I think Babs does, although his approach only seems to work on Franzen at playoff time.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/23/13 at 02:06 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

At the level these guys are at, that’s just BS. If you can’t bring your ass to work to do what you are paid for, stay home and someone will do your job for you. These aren’t 11 year olds playing little league baseball.
Smith needs the vote of confidence for playing less than he’s capable of as a rookie tossed into the fire that is the Stanley Cup Playoffs… Richards has a ring ferchristsakes.
Regardless of what Torts says to Richards, if he can’t play hard for himself and his team mates… to me that says a lot about what he’s made of.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/23/13 at 02:34 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Richards came into the season out of shape. He was coming off an extended postseason (20 games 6 G 9 A). After a regular season 2012 campaign of 25 goals 41 assists.

I hope Holland makes some calls when he is bought out.

Especially if he’s only looking for Filppula’s reported salary demands…

Posted by d ca on 05/23/13 at 02:37 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

exactly MOW.  Smith is a rookie making 1m

Richards whored himself during FA to get the fattest contract he could.  He’s a veteran cup winner.  He shouldn’t need a pat on the back.

Can you imagine Z not showing up for the playoffs?  If you think he had no points and went invisible, horrible plus/minus, that Babs would be going, well he doing good things?

I like Torts, don’t agree that you meet every challenge with piss and vinegar but there’s a lot you do and he’s good at it.

But to say he’s being too mean and he isn’t treating Richards like a person is horse shit.  If he lacks the character to pull up his own bootstraps then I feel he deserves the criticism of his production vs his salary.  Like I said, it’s not Torts fault Richards hasn’t shown up to work.  Just like it’s not my bosses job to make sure I show up to work.  Especially if I’m the highest paid employee.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 02:56 PM ET

Dreger seems to think he can be had for $3 mil if he’s bought out, which would be a good deal for whoever lands him, IMO. He may no longer be the legitimate 1C that you inevitably need to win a Cup, but he can still be a very useful contributor I think

@DarrenDreger
The NYR may swallow $24 mil for 14 years by buying Richards out, but there will be teams eager to sign him in summer for $3 mil per x 3 yrs.
11:48 AM - 23 May 13

Posted by Chris M on 05/23/13 at 03:01 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

No way D CA, I don’t want a guy on the team who wont play for his teammates.  No thanks.  Then to say it’s because the coach is being a meany head?  poor baby.  Evidently it’s inhumane to yell at a hockey player about what he’s doing wrong.  These same people who think Tort’s isn’t treating Richards like a human really can’t ever have spent any time in Detroit, or Lansing, or Southside Chicago or Little Havanna Miami or South Atlanta…

Someone yelling at you because you signed a contract giving you multiple multiple millions of dollars yearly and you’re not doing those things you listed on your resume as why you should be compensated that way is called BEING HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 03:05 PM ET

Throwing money at people doesn’t solve relationship or emotional aspects of being a person. It doesn’t help people to be ruled by a fascist overlord. People rise to expectations, and people fail. It doesn’t mean you have to be a dick to them, that is how relationships and trust are ruined. That also means self trust which is important in any aspect of life, but very important with an emotional sport like hockey. The best way to hold accountability is by helping lift the spirit back up, not trying to destroy it.

Posted by Extreme Monky on 05/23/13 at 03:10 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

If adversity crushes your spirit you have no character.  Save the heavy lifting for the big boys, just don’t pretend to be one.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 03:17 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m sorry, but you’ll NEVER convince me that it’s Tortarella’s fault that Brad Richards disappeared in the playoffs.

Even Toews is contributing elseware.  Richards didn’t even show up.  And that’s Torts fault right?  Because he told Richards and the medio the truth.

That line of thought is disgusting to me.  But I guess that’s why it’s such a small fraction of people that really have the gumption that our Wings have.  You’d think it’d be common sense you’re responsible for yourself.

It’s not like Richards is trying to hard or holding his stick too tight, that he needs a calming influence to help his skill shine through.  THE GUY HASNT SHOWN UP.  Ther’es a big difference, as I said,  many many times before.  HUGE difference.

At work are there any veterans who need the same kind of help as new hires?  I bet if you do they aren’t well liked or received because everyone else has to work to compensate for your LAZINESS.  But that’s ok as long as you’re not MEAN to the lazy guy, just talk nice to him to get him not to be lazy.  Right.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 03:21 PM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

Sitting him now so he can’t get injured and throw a monkey wrench in their buyout plan after their season is done which can be very soon.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 05/23/13 at 03:53 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 03:21 PM ET

While I agree with your estimation of motivation regarding professional athletes, Its a little tough to take that there isn’t something else going on with RIchards besides him just being lazy.  He’s a cup winner, and has been a dominant center for much of his career, even on teams with alot less depth than NYR.

So be it injury, personal issues or the possiblity that Tort’s system is terrible (a few other well paid players aren’t doing so well for him either), its hard to call him out as good for nothing when that hasn’t been the case throughout his career.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/23/13 at 04:05 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I agree Hoot, and he used to be good.  Maybe it was not having to play for a contract anymore, I don’t know, but I haven’t noticed him AT ALL in any of the Rangers games I’ve watched this post season.

And I think you’re right about Torts system.  An article posted today on Torts system made some good sense.  Richards isn’t an board battler type player, he does better in open ice and the NYR system doesn’t play that way.  Probably why players like Callahan and Prust did so well and guys that came from grinding teams like Brassard are doing well.

I’m not questioning the cause of the result whether it’s Torts coaching or not, but as far as what I see on the ice, there’s no heart in Richards play and that’s on the player.  At least try, even if the style doesn’t suit you, try for your team at least.  I’m sure most Wings aren’t check-first players.  They didn’t come up mucking and grinding, but KH said the first you do when you become a Wing is learn to check.  Richards can’t even do that while he’s not contributing to the score sheet.

There definitely seems to be some friction, but we had friction with Shanny and Babs.  It’s still no reason not to do your job.  You know how many times I had a Sargent chew me out?  You think I decided to sit around and feel sorry for myself or correct my deficiency, drink water and drive on?

Like I said, difference between trying too hard and not trying at all.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 04:33 PM ET

I wonder how often all of this was said when Fedorov was in town?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/23/13 at 04:47 PM ET

And not for nothing, but exactly when did John Tortorella become an expert on anything?

It’s always possible Richards has turned into a pile of gutless mush, I suppose.  It’s also entirely possible he’s hurt.  Or just having a bad playoff.  Or at the magical age where his game disintegrates.

Who knows?  I gotta love the ravenous dogpile of fans 1500 miles away waxing grandiloquent on the motivations of a player they literally didn’t see play this year until the postseason started, though.

You know how many times I had a Sargent chew me out?

Probably every time you misspelled his rank, which would also explain why you didn’t reach it.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/23/13 at 04:53 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/23/13 at 04:53 PM ET

Wow, a new low for you HockeyinHD. I’m sure you are very proud of yourself after you got HTO like that.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 05/23/13 at 06:36 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

HockeyinHD

on 05/23/13 at 04:53 PM ET

lmao, at least I had the balls there little guy.  And you’re wrong, we don’t have spelling tests in the Army, if we did you wouldn’t be able to sleep like a baby sucking on your thumb dreaming of what mommy’s going to cook you for breakfast.

11B, he gets testy.  I’ve been ignoring him so long he can’t take it so he’s diving directly into personal insults.  Nothing like a civilian playing internet hardass, especially one that calls other men, “buttercup”

He’s our resident Corey Perry, without the production…  Well, I guess he’s the playoff Corey Perry.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/23/13 at 06:42 PM ET