Boudreau Now The Coach Of The Anaheim Ducks

ANAHEIM, Calif. – The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has named Bruce Boudreau head coach, replacing Randy Carlyle. The club has also relieved Assistant Coaches Dave Farrish and Mike Foligno, and Video Coordinator Joe Trotta of their duties. Brad Lauer has been added to the Ducks staff as an assistant coach. One additional assistant will be named at a later date.

“This was an extremely difficult decision,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. “Randy is a terrific head coach, and did a tremendous job for us for six-plus seasons. We thank him greatly for his hard work and dedication to our franchise, not the least of which was a Stanley Cup championship. At this time, we simply felt a new voice was needed. Bruce is a proven winner with a great track record, and we are optimistic we can turn this season around under his leadership.”

added 1:28am, Ducks announce they will hold a news conference with Boudreau tomorrow after their 2:00pm ET practice.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bruce+boudreau, randy+carlyle

Comments

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a head coach go from being fired by one team to being hired as head coach by another in less than three days.

Posted by Susan on 12/01/11 at 05:19 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I’m right with you Susan. The turnaround time here is completely mesmerizing.

I’ve always liked Boudreau, but now that he’s a Duck, I’ll have to hate him.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 12/01/11 at 05:38 AM ET

Well, the Schmucks didn’t waste any time.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 12/01/11 at 06:49 AM ET

I wish my job searches were that easy

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 12/01/11 at 10:24 AM ET

Wow this is suprising. I would have thought his failings in the playoffs and perceived lack of any type of system would have made it really hard for him to land another NHL job.

I hope he does well as he seems like a good guy.

Posted by tbassett on 12/01/11 at 10:33 AM ET

wolverine's avatar

Ducks are going from a taskmaster to a players coach.  Let’s see how Getzlaf and Ryan respond.  They couldn’t have dogged it any worse.

Posted by wolverine on 12/01/11 at 11:23 AM ET

TheFreak's avatar

I suppose at this point a coaching change was easier to swallow than trading Bobby Ryan. That may still be plan B if Ducks still don’t respond to a new coach.

Posted by TheFreak on 12/01/11 at 11:36 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I hope it gets even worse so they trade Bobby Ryan to Detroit.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/01/11 at 12:04 PM ET

CRoy's avatar

So glad to see that whiner gone from the West. Every time the wings played the ducks all I heard was Carlye saying that the Wings hook and hold too much, the wings cheat on faceoffs, the Wings are interfereing with our goalie, the Wings called my mother fat, blah blah blah. So glad he’s gone. Every breath he took was a lobby to the officials to distract from the fact that they were probably one of the dirtiest, cheapest teams in the league.

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 12/01/11 at 12:41 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Being the fastest coach to 200 wins has its benefits.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 12/01/11 at 01:22 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Wonder when and where Barry Smith will resurface?

Posted by TheFreak on 12/01/11 at 01:33 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

So it looks like it was OV, JIzz & the rest that quit, Tune Barbeque Bruce out Huh?

Has there ever been a coach Fired & Hired in less than a week ?

Posted by Evilpens on 12/01/11 at 01:45 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMMM CRoy Barbeque Bruce is a HUGE whiner & has Diarrhea of the Mouth, Carlyle will look like a Piker compared too The Pilsbury Dough boy

Posted by Evilpens on 12/01/11 at 01:47 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’ve thought for a bit that the Ducks problems are with accountability in the locker room, as Carlyle consistently told the press that bad things which happened to the Ducks were a result of his team’s reputation or some conspiracy either against the Ducks or for their opposition.

Boudreau took more bullets for Ovechkin and the Caps as a team than he should have the last few years. He’s not the kind of coach who is going to instill the accountability that Anaheim requires.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/01/11 at 01:57 PM ET

CRoy's avatar

Good to know Evilpens.. I guess I just dont hear as much when we only play east teams once in a century. Caps as dirty as the ducks? oh wait you wouldn’t be in a fair position to comment on that…  wink

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 12/01/11 at 03:50 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I can’t say I’m surprised.  What surprised me was that Carlyle kept his job with a team that spent more than its share of time taking undisciplined penalties and making stupid mistakes, usually in the offensive zone.  Good luck, Brucie, you will need it with this bunch.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 12/01/11 at 04:14 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

@CRoy No not Dirty Team, But OV is as dirty as they come since he boards & Charges on every check

BBQ Bruce Just never STOPS whining ! Only time he does he is either Breathing Or Eating

Posted by Evilpens on 12/01/11 at 04:54 PM ET