Born In The USA- Top 10 Current Players In The NHL

from Michael Rappaport of The Hockey Writers,

The impact of American-born players in the NHL has intensified over the last few decades. Not only has there been an increase of U.S. born players on NHL rosters, but those players have been some of the best players in the league. The last two Conn Smythe Trophy winners have been American-born players (Tim Thomas and Jonathan Quick) and the league-wide focus in free agency in 2012 was on Zach Parise and Ryan Suter….

10. David Backes, Center, St. Louis Blues

David Backes has emerged as one of the NHL’s best two-way forwards. The Blues’ captain established career-highs in the 2010-11 season when he scored 31 goals and added 31 assists to record 62 points….

9. Ryan Kesler, Center, Vancouver Canucks

Ryan Kesler is one of the best power forwards in the NHL. The 27-year old center recorded at least 20 goals in each of the last five seasons, many of them coming on chances from in front of the net on the power play….

read on and how do you compare the list to your own?

Feel free to check out QuantHockey.com for a list of players from each state.  First click the state, then the player names will appear.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

pautna's avatar

That list is suspect without Dustin Brown.

Posted by pautna on 07/10/12 at 09:59 PM ET

LiteWork's avatar

The only person I could see him replacing is Callahan since they are both the same player. I would still pick Callahan because Brown was a fairly high draft pick and has only averaged about 55 points. Callahan was a 5th round pick who has produced the same amount of points since becoming a top 6 winger.

He also left off Howard and Paveslki so need to get bent out of shape.

Posted by LiteWork on 07/10/12 at 11:00 PM ET

I have never liked articles about nationality in the NHL and I am not a fan of this either. It is too easy to slip into xenophobia. While this is fairly harmless in that it ranks US players against themselves, it isn’t a far step to start talking about how many there should be, and what attributes a nation brings to the game, who has more deserving and intelligent fans, which nationalities lack dedication etc. Let’s leave nationality discussion to national teams and simply enjoy the talent, where ever it may come from, in the NHL.

Posted by timbits on 07/10/12 at 11:02 PM ET

pautna's avatar

That’s funny, I don’t feel bent out of shape. As I stated in the comment section of the original article, Brown lead his team to a stanley cup victory and Callahan didn’t. There’s your tie breaker. End of story.

Posted by pautna on 07/10/12 at 11:45 PM ET

That’s funny, I don’t feel bent out of shape.

Do you feel defensive?

Posted by Garth on 07/10/12 at 11:51 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’d say Brown has more intangibles than Callahan…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/11/12 at 12:12 AM ET

LiteWork's avatar

Posted by pautna on 07/10/12 at 10:45 PM ET

As yes using championships to analyze players. I guess if Callahan switches spots with Brown the Kings still dont win the Cup? Werent the Kings shopping Brown at the deadline? Thats how much they thought of him.

But hey Brown led them to a Cup!!!!1111 Forget about Kopitar, Stoll, Richards or Doughty.
Nevermind that he can only score 55 points a season while playing with Kopitar and Williams.

Posted by LiteWork on 07/11/12 at 12:15 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by timbits on 07/10/12 at 10:02 PM ET

I’m an American and I think that’s an important question to ask though:

For all the good players the US produces, when are we going to see one produced that is head and shoulders above his peers?

There are 19 Canadians, a Czech (Jagr), and 2 Finns (Kurri and Selanne) ahead of the all-time leading US scorer in the NHL, and then it’s Brett Hull (and we all know that argument), and then Mike Modano.  The US produces some star players for sure, but they never seem to be able to generate true superstars.  And given the numbers of players the US has been putting into the NHL lately, that’s a head-scratcher.

What sticks out to me on this list is that of the Top 10, none of them are what would be called superstar players at least not yet.  The other curious thing is that back when the US won the World Cup, you could almost say the US had really good defensive depth.  That seems to have since shifted to goalies and forwards instead, and the defensemen not as much.

Things like the USNTDP seem to have helped a bit, but apparently more work needs to be done somewhere.  US kids going Canadian junior don’t seem to actually develop further than those going to NCAA honestly, so that argument may actually be a pointless one.

Anyhow, I do know that’s a list of 10 players I don’t find real fault with though.  Callahan could be replaced by a couple of others I guess, but they’re the same kind of player in the end and interchangable IMO.

Posted by Primis on 07/11/12 at 12:26 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

American captain of the Stanley Cup Champions, nuff said.  If you deny Brown was insturmental you CLEARLY DIDNT watch any L.A. games.  He was the spark plug/point producer when needed, especially in the early/mid rounds.  He was beat to shit by the finals but they got there on his back.  And Quicks.  What’s Callahan accomplished?  Might have more upside, maybe one day he WILL surpass Brown in intangibles and stepping up when you need it, but right now, Brown has the edge.  Buuuut I’d be willing to wager they get more hits from the NE US vs. SoCal.  I think that was the real tie breaker

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/11/12 at 01:16 AM ET

No Jimmy Howard???

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/11/12 at 01:39 AM ET

No way should Callahan be on that list ahead of Brown or Pavelski and if he played in Columbus instead of New York he wouldn’t be.

Kane is overrated, not because he lacks skill or talent but I don’t think he impacts the game enough.  Just never been a huge fan and I think you can make him disappear.  Ditto Kessel.  Neither of those two should be ahead of Suter or Kesler.  I’m not sure there’s a GM in the league that would take Kane or Kessel ahead of Suter, Kesler, or maybe even Ryan.

I like Quick but I wonder if he’d still be at the top of the list if he hadn’t just won the Stanley Cup.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/11/12 at 05:09 AM ET

I’m just surprised that “hockey writers” would put anyone on the list that plays west of the Mississippi.  Brown should be on the list in front of about half the players on it.  Ryan Miller should be further up the list.  I could even see Pavelski ahead of Callahan.

And for the record, the reports were the teams were calling Dean Lombardi asking about Dustin Brown.  They weren’t “shopping” him.  Or at least if they were Dean has never admitted to it publicly.

Posted by PaulB from California on 07/11/12 at 09:19 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by LiteWork on 07/10/12 at 11:15 PM ET

I don’t give a rats a$$ about who’s on various top 10 lists but Brown caught fire just as he was being shopped, plain and simple (and I see that last comment and I’m 99% sure that he was being actively shopped in at least one deal that obviously fell through).  I was one of the few Kings fans that was pushing for him to be traded, and in very little time I was shown to be completely wrong.  Nobody’s forgetting about Kopi, Richards or Doughty, who clearly all possess greater skills, but their games all went through dry spells this season.  Brown provided the essential spark.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/11/12 at 02:11 PM ET

LiteWork's avatar

Actually Keith Yandle isnt on this list and he’s much better than Callahan or Brown.

Posted by LiteWork on 07/11/12 at 08:44 PM ET