Booing or Ooooing Bettman

Q&A with Gary Bettman at Sports Radio Interviews:

Do you feel you are getting treated unfairly in Canada based on the last collective bargaining negotiations? Was it uncomfortable to be booed when awarding the Boston Bruins the Stanley Cup?

“I was getting booed? Really? Wait a minute when did that happen? I thought it was like ‘oooooo…oooooo,’ they were so excited to see the Stanley Cup. To answer that question would require me to engage in some degree of whining, which I will not do. The fact of the matter is people sometimes have perceptions to why things do and don’t happen. People who understand what exactly we have tried to accomplish and the fact that most of the Canadian franchises wouldn’t be in Canada anymore if were not for the things we’ve done over the last two decades. They get it. I know the people in Winnipeg over entirely different circumstances than when we left are thrilled to be getting a team back.”

continued… with transcript and audio link

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Playoff Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: gary+bettman, scf, stanley+cup+final

Comments

I just threw up in my mouth…and not a little bit.

Posted by godblender on 06/17/11 at 05:27 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I was saying ‘boo-urns’...

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 06/17/11 at 05:49 PM ET

Please!  Give them back the cup let them have their own Canadian league.  Start up a USHL Edso will like that and put the Rangers Detroit and all the other US franchises in it.  Lets see where the Canadians want to play.  No one in the US will miss the Canadian teams anyway.  Bettman has put a lot of money in a lot of Canadian pockets.  They don’t like him because he’s a Jewish guy from NY thats the truth and like the riots it shows you where these backward Canadian Bigots really stand.

Posted by 13 user names on 06/17/11 at 09:45 PM ET

Did 13 user names, presumably an American, really call Canadians bigots? Canada is the most multicultural country in the world, Toronto is the most multicultural city in the world. In fact, African Americans fled to Canada to flee slavery, and Canada has a much better record at accepting refugees, per capita, than any other nation in the world.  Canada is also the strongest supporter of Israel on the world stage.  Canada has fewer race crimes, per capita again (given the massive difference in size between the two nations) than the US.  Canada does not have institutional racism such as that plagues the American economy.

That might be the most ignorant, hateful, and stupid comment I have seen on Kukla’s Korner in all my years of reading it.

Posted by Harald The Red on 06/17/11 at 10:23 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

At least they were booing Bettman.  I wasn’t really sure if they were booing him or Boston.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 06/18/11 at 02:56 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Clearly the loud, unmistakable booing isn’t getting through to him. I shudder to think what fans will do next year, since some will figure they have to up the ante to show the depths of their disapproval.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 06/18/11 at 10:14 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Toronto is the most multicultural city in the world.

Sorry, Sao Paulo beats Toronto.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/18/11 at 12:40 PM ET

Ever been to Queens?  That’s where Gary Bettman is from.  There are 135 languages spoken there.  I think you doth protest too much.  Yes there are Canadian Bigots.

Posted by 13 user names on 06/18/11 at 05:24 PM ET

Actually, neither Queens nor Sao Paulo, nor London or anywhere else in the world beats Toronto, according to the United Nations, which bases its statistics on those stats it gets from national organisations. And, yes, of course there are Canadian bigots, but that wasn’t your point, 13, and while Queens is the most linguistically diverse place in the United States, it was not when Bettman was growing up, for one, and two, the 135 languages spoken there is slightly fewer than the 152 spoken in the Greater Toronto Area.  I should also point out that I am a linguist, so I actually know these things.

Posted by Harald the Red on 06/19/11 at 07:07 PM ET