Blues Fire Payne, Hire Hitchcock

ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced tonight the club has relieved Davis Payne as Head Coach and replaced him with Ken Hitchcock. Hitchcock will be the 24th Head Coach in franchise history and has agreed to a contract through the 2012-13 season. Armstrong and Hitchcock will be available to the media Monday at 10:30 am at Scottrade Center and the team will hold their first practice under Hitchcock at 1:00 pm. The team will have no further comment until tomorrow morning.

Hitchcock, 59, has coached 1,042 National Hockey League games with Dallas, Philadelphia and Columbus, compiling a record of 534-350-88-70 for a .588 winning percentage. His teams have won 40 or more games nine times and was Head Coach of Dallas when they won the Stanley Cup in 1999. He has guided his teams to six division titles and eclipsed 100 points eight times. Hitchcock coached in three consecutive NHL All-Star games (1998, 1999, 2000) and was Assistant Coach for Team Canada when they won Gold in the 2002 and 2010 Winter Olympics

Filed in: NHL Teams, St. Louis Blues, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: davis+payne, ken+hitchcock

Comments

Primis's avatar

Wow, well, there goes Plan B for the Jackets…

Hope the fans in CBS realize now that no savior is walking in to town to save them.  They’re just screwed..

Posted by Primis on 11/06/11 at 10:59 PM ET

Puck's avatar

Crap! I hope I can trade my Blues offensive players on my fantasy team really quick before anyone sees this. They just all lost fantasy value, except for maybe their goalie, LOL!

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 11/06/11 at 11:12 PM ET

“while Payne has been relieved of his head coaching duties, he will still be retained as an advisor taking up his new post directly behind the glass of the players bench”.

wink

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/06/11 at 11:52 PM ET

Puck, I got rid of mine yesterday.  CBJ really screwed the pooch on this one.  Was at every home game Hitch coach here.  A fine, defensive minded head coach.  Still miss him.

Posted by Beau from TX on 11/07/11 at 12:25 AM ET

Just another standard example of the old boys club in the NHL. A coach whose been out of the league for a couple of years did nothing in Columbus and was the reason why the Flyers sucked now gets another chance.

Its not like Payne was doing awful and the season is over for the Blues yet either. Give the man his chance to prove himself this year.

The only reason this probably happened is because Armstrong is loyal to Hitchcock because of their connection in Dallas when winning the cup in 1999.

Posted by Chad on 11/07/11 at 01:02 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

League is going young & New Not Old & Glue !

Posted by Evilpens on 11/07/11 at 01:18 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 11/06/11 at 09:12 PM ET

I only have Chris Stewart and I’ll keep him for now because, my God, his production can’t decrease from what little it is already.

Posted by Primis on 11/07/11 at 09:46 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

From one of the writers at St. Louis Game Time:

Meanwhile ....

The Dynamic Duo, the Teflon Two, Brad Shaw and Ray Bennett are gearing up for their fourth coach since 2006-07. In 423, the team has gone 192-174-57. But no, they get to keep working.

The assistants keep their jobs through this many coaching changes on a team that’s dead last in PP and 27th in PK?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/07/11 at 11:01 AM ET

Have to admit if you gave me a multiple choice question with who was the coach of the Blues, I may not have been able to guess Davis Payne. In fact, even after reading the article, I mistyped his name as David.  I’ll blame this on my East Coast bias. Now Hitchcock I’ve heard of, he made a lot of movies and is interested in the Civil War and not allowing goals to be scored.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/07/11 at 11:28 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Queque the Captain Kangaroo photoshops.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/07/11 at 12:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

By the by…. wonder what this means for the Halak/Elliott situation?

Posted by Primis on 11/07/11 at 12:47 PM ET