Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash unsure whether he’d waive no-movement clause

Via Yahoo Sports’ Greg “Puck Daddy” Wyshynski: Columbus Blue Jackets forward Rick Nash spoke to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline about his future with the troubled team:

If the Blue Jackets decide to overhaul the club, it could be a few seasons before they compete. Nash, in the second year of an eight-year, $62.4 million contract signed on July 3, 2009, said his loyalty won’t waver.

“I’ve put all my trust and loyalty into this organization,” Nash said. “I’d have to trust them 100 percent, whatever their decisions are.”

Nash was also presented with a hypothetical. Recognizing that he has a no-movement clause in his contract through the 2014-15 season, Nash was asked if he’d be willing to waive the clause if the Blue Jackets opted to make him part of the rebuild.

“That’s a tough question to answer in a situation like this,” Nash said. “I love Columbus. I love being here. I love being a Blue Jacket. The city of Columbus deserves a winner and deserves a good product on the ice. If it comes to that — like you said, all speculation — but if they don’t want me here, they want to move me? I’m not going to do something where it’s going to hurt the franchise just because I have that in my contract.”

Continued.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“The city of Columbus deserves a winner”

Like a football team?

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/05/12 at 03:19 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Send him to Pens For Staal !

Posted by Evilpens on 01/05/12 at 03:28 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Send him to Pens For Staal !

Posted by Evilpens on 01/05/12 at 12:28 PM ET

Oh God no.  Staal might not have the skill level Nash does, but at least he works hard on every shift.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 01/05/12 at 04:00 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I Knew some Pens fan would take the Bait LOL

1st of all He has been beaten down down by a Pathetic team & OrganIzation & you have NO worries Shero will NEVER trade his Boy Toy ! Geno will be sacrificed 1st

Posted by Evilpens on 01/05/12 at 04:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from TSN,

Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun on Thursday that, “nothing has changed,” and he does not want to even want to contemplate moving their captain and franchise player.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/05/12 at 05:35 PM ET

Posted by Evilpens on 01/05/12 at 01:26 PM ET

Neither Staal or Malkin will be traded until Crosby’s future is set.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 01/05/12 at 10:14 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

How the F do you know when Crosby’s future is set? He is day to day for the rest of his career because of either Complete Ineptitude on the Part of the Pens or my belief He told them he was fine & when Sid says something they Salute & march to his orders

Posted by Evilpens on 01/05/12 at 10:34 PM ET