Blame Yzerman, Not Boucher

from Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated,

With 17 games to go and his team five points out of an Eastern Conference playoff berth, Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman had seen enough. He made the decision early this morning to fire coach Guy Boucher with the hope the move would motivate his Lightning into a miraculous stretch run.

Here’s hoping he took a good long look in the mirror before he pushed him overboard, because it was Yzerman’s own failings that led Boucher out onto the plank.

There isn’t a coach in the world who looks good when his goaltending stinks. And considering the pair he was provided by Yzerman, it’s amazing Boucher was able to keep things as close as he did.

It was Yzerman who gambled last summer that Anders Lindback, an inexperienced back-up with Nashville who had all of 38 NHL games to his credit, was ready to step into a No. 1 job with the Bolts.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I don’t even have to read the article to know he’s wrong.  Lil’ Baby Stevie can do no wrong.  A team with proven back end with high upside and the most prolific scorer in the league, a former world star and another former 90pnt player who’s known for work ethic?  TB’s had some mental breakdowns and after a while that reflects the coach.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/24/13 at 10:36 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

<cough> Lindy Ruff

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/24/13 at 10:50 AM ET

alukacs's avatar

@ HockeytownOverhaul - So you bash Ken Holland and defend Stevie, because “he can do no wrong”? That is just funny. The Tampa blue-line is everything but “proven” - unless mistakes and silly plays prove anything… I believe that Stevie must share some responsibility - and knowing him as a leader, he probably does… but he can’t fire himself.

Posted by alukacs on 03/24/13 at 12:03 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

jesus alukacs.  To be honest I don’t follow the bolts like I do the wings enough to comment.  It was an off-the-cuff half-assed remark meant to be subtly funny with undying loyalty to The Captain.  Way to completely miss that.  At least Perfection can understand context.  You’re just lookin’ for a reason to hate on my post because secretly they drive you insane beacuse it kills you that I don’t agree with you.

But I will say at least Stevie is holding people accountable.  With Lecavelier, St. Louis, Stamkos, Hedman, Brewer, Malone, Purcell, Conacher (pretty great pick eh?) Wrestled Lindback from Nashville (and he played PHENOMENAL behind Rinne.  Remember Howard November 2010?) Got the Carle, Salo…

That’s a GM that’s given a coach the pieces to succeed.  The coach has been unable to get everyone on the same sheet of music.  This isn’t an aging core, this is a team with enough talent and experience, youthful energy and veteran savy, to be back in the conference finals at least every year.  He saw what the group was capable of, losing the Stanley Cup winning Bruins, then poop the bed the next two years, one SOLELY on mental miscues.  That’s the coach.

At least Stevie doesnt’ look mediocrity int he face and say.. I like our team.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/24/13 at 12:20 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Steve, just come home

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/24/13 at 12:25 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Posted by alukacs on 03/24/13 at 01:03 PM ET.

In case you didn’t notice you cannot question bandana boys superior expertise.  How dare you?

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/24/13 at 12:44 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

statelouis26

from Detroit, MI on 03/24/13 at 01:44 PM ET

Because you’re both Kings of tact.  You know, I do have that reputation for attacking people unprovoked on here.  So unreasonable most the time.

You know, I’m one of the only people on here who can actually get along with Evil Pens.  Garth and I didn’t necessarily care for eachother a while back, but we learned how to talk to eachother.

Like any other man, I don’t respond like a Puppy Dog when someone’s trying to challenge my character or calls me a hypocrite, sorry I dont’ roll over and just take it.

But as I recall, you tend to be more on the fiery side yourself, so that’s a little pot callin the kettle black State Louis.  But you can’t deny I make sense from time to time.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/24/13 at 02:35 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

HockeytownOverhaul - absolutely, it would’ve been funny if you stop your first response after the second sentence. But you moved on to justify why it was the coach’s fault - while later acknowledging that you do not follow Tampa… That is the context to this. Sorry to point that out…

Additionally, I believe I didn’t challenge your character… only your opinion.

Posted by alukacs on 03/24/13 at 03:40 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

so everything I said about what I do know about tampa doesn’t apply?

makes sense.