Bill Peters Resigns As The Head Coach In Carolina

RALEIGH, NC - The Carolina Hurricanes today announced that Head Coach Bill Peters has resigned his position. The team will immediately begin its search for a new head coach.

"I have a lot of respect for Bill as a person and coach," said Owner/CEO/Governor Tom Dundon. "We thank him for his time with the Hurricanes and wish him success in whatever comes next."

Peters compiled a career record of 137-138-53 in four seasons, after being named head coach for the Hurricanes on June 19, 2014. He was the 13th person in franchise history to serve as head coach and the fourth since the team's arrival in North Carolina in 1997. In addition to his work with the Hurricanes, Peters won a gold medal as the head coach for Canada at the 2016 IIHF World Championship, and he will again lead Canada during the 2018 IIHF World Championship.

"I want to thank Tom Dundon, Peter Karmanos and Ron Francis for the trust they put in me to lead the team," said Peters. "I feel the incoming general manager should have the ability to hire his own head coach. I also want to thank Don Waddell and the entire front office and PNC Arena staff. This business requires hard work and long hours, and I greatly appreciate the efforts of the many people I have worked alongside during the past four years.

"We enjoyed our time in Raleigh, and my family will always feel a connection to North Carolina. I feel like this is a good time to move on, and I am looking forward to my next challenge."

Filed in: NHL Teams, Carolina Hurricanes, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bill+peters

Comments

Paul's avatar

Many mentions from NHL media types, Peters is headed to Calgary as their head coach.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/20/18 at 12:31 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/20/18 at 12:31 PM ET

I’m betting if Carolina weren’t such a gong show and a mess, Calgary wouldn’t seem so attractive by comparison.

So y’know, all Carolina needs now is a GM and an entire coaching staff.  No biggie.

Posted by Primis on 04/20/18 at 12:43 PM ET

Somehow i get the feeling Carolina is gonna end up with the Gabe Kapler of hockey behind the bench.  I just don’t know who the Gabe Kapler of hockey is yet…and neither do they…should be fun.

Posted by PMP5030 on 04/20/18 at 01:52 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by PMP5030 on 04/20/18 at 01:52 PM ET

If I were a fan of that organization, I’d be more worried about who they pick as their actual GM, at this point. :\

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/20/18 at 02:35 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by Primis on 04/20/18 at 12:43 PM ET

No no no.  They’ve got a new GM - that Dundon guy!

Posted by TreKronor on 04/20/18 at 02:43 PM ET

No no no.  They’ve got a new GM - that Dundon guy!

Why can’t he be the coach too?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 04/20/18 at 02:50 PM ET