Bill Foley’s Dream Team

from Ed Graney of the Las Vegas Review-Journal,

His vision for a Las Vegas team: Think the New England Patriots....

Foley would encourage an atmosphere of discipline and accountability, with quotes from Patton about how perseverance, study and eternal desire can make any man great and ones from MacArthur about there being no security on earth but rather only opportunity, being displayed in the locker room.

He would have hockey people handle hockey business.

“I would know what’s going on at all times,” Foley said this week from his Las Vegas office across the street from TPC Summerlin. “I’m not going to let anyone screw things up. I know what I know. But whoever we would hire can certainly convince me of things. I would want open-minded people who want to be part of a team and who listen to others, but when tough decisions need to be made, you make them.

“Team work. No bickering. Free communication. The ability to talk to anyone up and down the line with no fear of retribution. A free flow of information. I talk to everyone in my organizations. I find out who’s working hard and who isn’t, and what’s good and what’s bad, and how we can do a better job from the bottom up.

“You delegate responsibility and give people the authority to make decisions within a certain area. And if they sway from it, I stop them. People would want to play here. They should believe in me, have confidence in me that we would be very successful in a positive environment. Hockey guys are good people. They don’t screw around. They’re fighters. They want to win.”

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bill+foley

Comments

dougie's avatar

His vision for a Las Vegas team: Think the New England Patriots….

The Las Vegas Cheaters does have a nice ring to it, doncha think? Sorry, low hanging fruit.

The rest of the piece reads like another squillionaire sports owner telling everyone he really wont be a prototypical megalomaniac,“hands on” owner.

It also reads like he won’t be able to stop himself from being exactly that.

Posted by dougie on 05/03/16 at 06:10 PM ET

Primis's avatar

None of this addresses how they would put enough butts in seats.  Which is the A#1 problem.

Posted by Primis on 05/03/16 at 07:03 PM ET

Almost 14,000 season tix were sold.  Some say the number’s closer to 15,500 for a 20,000 seating arena.  If they can sell 85% capacity every home game, they’re gonna be happy.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 05/03/16 at 08:20 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

I don’t know if the numbers are available, but how many of those season tickets were sold to casinos, who will give them out as prizes at the penny slots or whatever to tourists from Dubuque who won’t bother to show up? Selling out games and having people in the seats will probably be two very different things in an LV franchise.

Posted by Steeb on 05/04/16 at 12:25 AM ET

They would be comps for MGM players, which is expected since MGM outright owns T Mobile Arena.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 05/04/16 at 12:40 AM ET

And honestly, an NHL team - a Big Four sports team - is admittedly a much higher profile than the ECHL.  Plus, the arena’s right behind the NY-NY Resort Casino and it’s extremely visible from I-15.  It’s not like the ECHL and the Orleans Arena, which is about a mile and a half west from The Strip, where tourists didn’t even know there was an arena for semi pro hockey.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 05/04/16 at 12:44 AM ET