Bill Daly On Realignment

from NHL.com,

"We have been in discussions with the Players' Association for the past several weeks on the issue of realignment and we are trying to get to a solution that everybody can live with," Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told NHL.com. "There are no perfect answers here, so we have to do the best we can in trying to adequately address a number of competing concerns. Once we get to a point where we have the Union's go-ahead, we will present it to our Board of Governors for its consideration. We certainly hope to be in a position to announce something in the relatively near term."

read on and I know most Detroit and Columbus fans are in favor of the switch, but fans from other cities seem to not like it.

With that, and I know some of you have already commented on it in other posts, but let's put it all in one place, yes or no and why.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

No. I was in favor of it last year because I liked the division playoff format. But this wild card idea (which does not address the inequity between conference and divisions) just waters it down and defeats the purpose.

I also as a neutral fan don’t like Detroit being seperated from St. louis and Chicago. That is a fun three way rivalry from a neutral fan perspective. Detroit is not rivals with Montreal and Boston to anyone under the age of 60. I am actually stunned many Wings fans are so willing to just give those up, when last years proposal fixed their western game issues without breaking up those rivalries.

Also, as a Devils fan with the rumors of how the schedule format is going to be it will mean less games vs Rangers, Islanders, Flyers and Penguins. Under last years proposal they were kept the same.

Honestly to me this is just worse watered down version of last year. At this point just move Columbus to the southeast and try again when the league expands to Quebec and Toronto. After all at the end of the day when that happens the Wings are going to have to go back to the midwest division with the new Toronto team anyways.

Posted by jkrdevil on 02/26/13 at 09:35 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

No and while I understand the desires of Columbus and Detroit fans, I do not like unbalanced divisions/conferences. Every other league seems to have moved away from it over the last decade so it only makes sense the NHL moves over to it now. I personally think they should do a quick fix with moving 3 or 4 teams around and wait until expansion/relocation issues are resolved. I also don’t like divisional playoffs. I’ve gotten used to the conference format and I always hated seeing teams beat each other up in the PofW playoffs only to get over against a Campbell’s team who cake walked through their brackets and lose while at 50%. Unbalanced conferences with divisional playoffs will lead to more disenfranchised fans then happy ones.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/26/13 at 10:14 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

the Florida Panthers move to Seattle & that makes each conference even & then what happens when Phoenix goes to Quebec City ?

Posted by Evilpens on 02/26/13 at 10:25 PM ET

madhatter's avatar

I don’t know why they don’t just go with two conferences of 15 teams each (East and West), and have the top 8 from each conference make the playoffs. 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, etc.

Go to an 86 game schedule (should make the owners happy)... play one home and away game with each opposite conference (30 games), play two home and two away games with everyone in your own conference (56 games). Now fans see every team at least once a year.

Posted by madhatter on 02/26/13 at 10:36 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by

jkrdevil

on 02/26/13 at 08:35 PM ET

A lot of us Wings fans want for them to move to the east because those west coast games suck especially during the playoffs when you have to be up at 5am. Also, for me, I miss the Toronto rivaly a lot more than the any Chicago or St. Louis rivalry. And no, I’m not 60.
That being said I’m not a big fan of what they’re proposing. What I’d like to see is a Northern Conference and Southern Conference. That way nearly everybody travels the same. It wouldn’t help out on the 10pm games for me but everyone else would see what we’re talking about. Sure the Southern Conference teams might lose revenue due to lack of northern exposure but who gives a flying fuch. It might weed out the bleeding teams out. One can always dream, I suppose.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/26/13 at 10:43 PM ET

For one, I don’t think that unbalanced divisions/conferences is a big deal.
I also hate the current format of three divisions in a conference with the #1 teams in each division getting the 1, 2 and 3 seeds.
I’m also all for the ‘divisional’ playoff format.  I think it fosters rivalries more than anything currently does.
Selfishly, as a Wings fan, I like it geographically and I like the idea of a the Wings.Leafs rivalry reigniting (as well as, naturally, the likelihood of more Wings games on HNIC).
And arbitrarily, I also like the idea of the ‘wild card’ playoff berths.

Posted by Garth on 02/26/13 at 10:55 PM ET

awould's avatar

No unbalanced Divisions or Conferences. Keep it at 6 divisions. Or 2 Conferences. The rest to me are details that I don’t feel too strongly about either way.

I’d like to see Detroit move east just because I think the travel hurts them, especially in the playoffs. But if they don’t move, I’ll be happy they’re still in a division or conference w/ their traditional rivals.

Posted by awould on 02/26/13 at 11:15 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Yes.  I hate west coast games.  Toronto was always the rivalry that mattered to me and I really don’t care about Chicago or St. Louis.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 02/27/13 at 07:46 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I love moving Detroit and Columbus to the East on account of them being in the eastern time zone. But I hate the idea of having unbalanced conferences. Neither setup is perfect, it’s trading one problem for another. Then there’s the complexity of possible expansion, and the fact of the matter that there are probably four or five teams that you could easily see being candidates for relocation over the next five years.

The wild card idea doesn’t actually bother me all that much because at least the idea keeps the playoff teams at 16 (hate the idea of expanding a playoff that already accommodates over half the league). Certainly, the teams in the East will have a harder road to winning their division, but I would be willing to consider this a fair trade-off for the fact that the teams in the East would all be in the same time zone and have MUCH easier travel than every team in the West.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/27/13 at 11:00 AM ET

Detroit, you dont know what you got till its gone.

I understand DET wanting to move to the east, time, travel, etc. But the travel is shitty for almost every west team. And with a division heavy schedule travel wasnt really that bad or much worse than it was for anyone else. The late games on the coast do suck though, and I get that.

Its kinda unfair to leave CHI as the only original 6 team in the west. Oh but DET gets these great rivalries back. Right, with the other 4 teams that Chicago also played?

I am definitely against unbalanced conferences, that just doesnt make any sense. Not sure what the solution is, but everyone cant win, thats for sure.

Posted by pstumba on 02/27/13 at 11:29 AM ET

Detroit, you dont know what you got till its gone.

What?  Phantom rivalries with St Louis, Columbus and Nashville?

Posted by Garth on 02/27/13 at 12:07 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by pstumba on 02/27/13 at 10:29 AM ET

I can only speak for myself, but as a Wings fan, for me, it has very little to do with playing Montreal, Toronto, New York, or Boston. It is all about being in the eastern time zone.

The only way to make the travel issue somewhat close to fair is to align the conferences MLB or NFL style, where each conference has a close to equal representation of teams from each time zone so that all teams travel roughly the same amount for their in-conference play. But that adds significant costs for a lot teams. You have 15 owners that you can essentially guarantee will never approve that alignment, not when they currently have short flights or cheap bus trips to the majority of their road games. Putting Boston and San Jose in one conference, and Anaheim and Florida in another conference is the most “fair,” but the owners in Boston and Florida have no reason to agree to do that. It would be them giving and getting nothing in return for it.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/27/13 at 12:13 PM ET