Between The Benches With Pierre McGuire

from Justin Terranova of the NY Post,

The idea to put an analyst between the benches, providing a close view of the action and an opportunity to interview coaches during the game, was first hatched eight years ago by NBC Sports executive producer Sam Flood. Flood approached McGuire, then with Canada’s TSN, before Game 7 of the 2004 Stanley Cup before the Lightning and Flames.

“I didn’t think it would be allowed, and he said, ‘just leave it to me,’” McGuire said. “Well, we left it to him and here we are eight years later and it’s become pretty much commonplace for everyone in the league to be doing it, and other sports are basically trying the same formula.”

But some would prefer McGuire was not a part of this formula started in 2006 after the previous season was canceled due to the lockout. There are numerous online forums devoted to his demise. Though the former Whalers head coach ignores the criticism, he said he believes it stems from the deep loyalty fans feel toward their team.

“I respect people’s opinions, just like I’m entitled to my opinion,” McGuire said “We’re not homers. We don’t work for one team or the other. We try to play it straight down the middle, so I don’t pay attention to it all. I have a job to do. I do it to the best of my ability. I prepare for every game like it’s a Game 7, and I won’t change. But I respect the passion of hockey fans, their love of the game, but people are expecting me to be a homer and that’s not how it works when you do a national show.”

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pierre+mcguire

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

McGuire said “We’re not homers. We don’t work for one team or the other.

Ahhahahahahaaaahahahaaaa.
rIGHT.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/11/12 at 12:35 PM ET

Primis's avatar

3 words, Pierre:

Wind.
Aided.
Rush.

Posted by Primis on 05/11/12 at 12:39 PM ET

I don’t really understand the hate, at times he has good comments and bad. He isn’t the worst by any means.

Posted by timbits on 05/11/12 at 12:39 PM ET

Pierre McGuire, or as I like to call him, the ass in the glass. smile

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 05/11/12 at 12:45 PM ET

the funny thing is, fans from every team think the NBC coverage is terrible and biased in favor of the opposition

I know it will never happen because of money but I really think the NHL should go back to allowing the local broadcasters/cable networks cover the teams throughout the entire playoffs… it is more fun for the fans than to be force-fed coverage that both sides dislike

Posted by NJRangersFan from Trenton on 05/11/12 at 12:48 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

3 words, Pierre:

Wind.
Aided.
Rush.

Posted by Primis

LOL  I’ll never forget that. One of the dumbest things I’ve heard during a hockey game.

I like pierre. I used to hate him. But he is entertaining.

Posted by Keyser S. on 05/11/12 at 12:52 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’ll give him this- he’s an avid canoe-er.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/11/12 at 12:54 PM ET

Emrick bugs me much more than Pierre. His useless hockey dork trivia and gee whiz style grinds my last nerve!

Posted by timbits on 05/11/12 at 12:57 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I actually enjoyed it when he’s been the color guy also, with just the play-by-play man up in the booth and him at center ice. I feel he does a better job and much more in that situation then when it’s 2 in the booth and him at center ice.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/11/12 at 01:04 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

No matter which teams are playing…
No matter what the score
I still chuckle everytime he describes forechecking
as foreplay.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 05/11/12 at 01:07 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Posted by phillyd from New Jersey on 05/11/12 at 12:04 PM ET

I can’t say I enjoy that situation.  I’d say it’s slightly more tolerable when he isn’t constantly asking for Edzo’s approval of a point he’s trying to make.

He’ll always be the DC.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/11/12 at 01:34 PM ET

This.  Or just randomly pointing out where a guy played Junior Hockey and throwing back upstairs to Doc/Eddie.  Or using the word “Edzo”.

Posted by deezer on 05/11/12 at 01:42 PM ET

awould's avatar

Doc is a sad caricature who often seems lost and confused. He’s like a robot now, just chattering stock phrases and old-timey bits that occasionally match what’s happening on the ice. I actually heard him say once, “I didn’t make a whole lot of sense there!”, probably in a rare moment of lucidity.

“Edzo” is the biggest homer in major league sports broadcasting. He shows a total lack of consistency in how he views the game, players and penalties depending on the teams involved. Hudler touches Sharp and it’s assault, Keith elbows Sedin and it’s a tough hockey play. He’s a joke.

Pierre is so full of himself in every situation except when his master Edzo is around. He seeks more approval from Edzo than my 6 year old niece does from her older brother. What bothers me the most though is when he claims some inside knowledge that could never be proven and acts like he’s just blessed the world with the insight needed to truly understand the game we’re watching. Usually it’s something like, “During intermission, Perry showed the team a lot of emotion and came out and rushed the net and took a couple of big hits. That really sparked the Ducks and that’s why they just scored ten minutes later.”  What an ass. Right Edzo!?

Posted by awould on 05/11/12 at 01:52 PM ET

Pierre picks strange guys to slobber all over. For a while it was Mike Richards, now it’s Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider and Hendricks. While richards was always a tremendously useful player, Schenn’s a straight bum who’s biggest accomplishments are diving, getting knocked out by skill players, playing sucky defense, cross-checking people in the back and faking injuries. Kreider pretty much just sits on the bench right now. And Hendricks is just a hard-working grinder with slick hands (nothing wrong with that, but that type of player is not some anomaly).

Posted by larry from pitt on 05/11/12 at 02:58 PM ET