Bertuzzi Remains With The Wings

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Todd Bertuzzi has agreed to a two-year, $3.875 million deal with the Detroit Red Wings.

“It’s just a really good fit for me,” the forward said. “My kids were so pumped when they found out we’re going back for two more years—now my son gets to stay in his hockey program, and they get to go back to the same schools.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: todd+bertuzzi

Comments

Rdwings28's avatar

sorry, too much $. 1.9 M buys better than that. i know he carried us thru some injured weeks, but…..

Posted by Rdwings28 on 06/16/10 at 10:26 PM ET

perfection's avatar

i think you’re way wrong (here we go again - another 2 years of irrational Bertuzzi hating)... show me your list of sub 2mil/per year players who are NOT on a rookie contract who did better last year. it’s a bargain plain and simple. i mean we paid Cleary almost 3mil last year and Bertuzzi had far and away a better season. I think it’s a fantastic signing. Let’s see if Bert can run a few quality seasons in a row now. He definitely has to continue to earn that paycheck, but I think his chemistry with his linemates should only improve next season and in terms of his physical play, no matter how dainty he seems in the regular season, the man played LARGE in the playoffs… and that’s of course where it counts anyway.

I’m digging my heels in now - I’m a Bertuzzi supporter. BRING ON THE HATERS! You have ZERO statistical support for your cause but merely gut feelings through biased-colored glasses.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/16/10 at 11:26 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

>:E

//sigh

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 06/16/10 at 11:42 PM ET

Holland must have some inside track on the cap going up for the ‘10-‘11 season.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 06/17/10 at 12:20 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

//sigh

Baroque you just gave away that you use IRC.  Old School!

Aside…

Hmm… glad to see Bert back.  Would have liked to see 2.8 mil.

This means our free agent shopping has ended.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/17/10 at 04:18 AM ET

Moq's avatar

sorry, too much $. 1.9 M buys better than that.

The reality is that you won’t get a lot of quality for less than $2 million nowadays beyond entry-level contracts and the occasional skilled veteran looking to win a cup.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 06/17/10 at 07:04 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

okay, okay, alright already…...I’ll say it ...“I’M WRONG!!”

Posted by Rdwings28 on 06/17/10 at 09:13 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

okay, okay, alright already…...I’ll say it ...“I’M WRONG!!”

Posted by Rdwings28 on 06/17/10 at 08:13 AM ET

smile

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/17/10 at 09:46 AM ET

This means our free agent shopping has ended.

For the price, I think we got better than anything we could’ve found on the free agent market.

Now let’s get those RFAs locked up and decide if we’re keeping Lilja or looking elsewhere…

+19

Posted by Garth on 06/17/10 at 09:48 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m hoping we can keep Lilja, because he’s as solid as you can get for a third-pair defenseman.  I’m just not sure we have all the room. I think (provided the cap goes up $2M) that we’ll have about $4.7M in cap space.  Lilja probably isn’t looking to take less than his $1.25M cap hit and Eaves doesn’t have Carolina paying half his salary this year, so he probably will get less than half as cap-friendly as he was this year.  Either way, Helm and Abdelkader are my top two priorities.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/17/10 at 10:26 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Good deal.

Bert’s playoff #‘s, in 12 games, 2G, 9A (4th on team in points)
Regular Season (all 82 games), 18 G (4), 26A (5), 44 pts (5) - - he was -7 though.  16:46 TOI/G

The 1.9375 cap hit is well worth while - - 6th in terms of team forward cost - - just slightly more than Homer.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 06/17/10 at 12:12 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Agh, I did the math wrong - I was figuring it was 3.8 mil _a year_ not over the two year deal.

Never mind on the free agent shopping being over thing..

1.9 is perfectly acceptable for his talents, in fact I’m now on the bandwagon that it was a steal. I think he fit well into the top two lines and looked like less of a defensive liability than he did with the Flames.  Ol’ boy’s coming around and I believe still has some upside.

Now let’s lock up Helm and Abby and get us a bruiser.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/17/10 at 12:53 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/17/10 at 09:26 AM ET

Yeah, I’d like to keep Lilja for sure.

Re: Eaves, I assume he’ll get a raise, but I can’t imagine he will get too much of one.  He had a good year, but it was a good role player year.  I’m guessing he’ll get a bit of a raise on a one or two year deal, and I think he’ll put up better numbers this year and next year, so it will be his NEXT contract that’s the big ticket one.

I’d think that Helm and Eaves should get the biggest raises, Abdelkader will probably get the Leino deal, being the same cap hit as last year (or similar) except a one-way deal instead of two-ways.  Then Miller.

I think there’s room for Lilja because while I doubt he’ll take less money, I can’t see him demanding more and if he takes the same salary that leaves a little under $3.5M for those four RFAs.

That said, I think they lock up Helm, Eaves, Abdelkader and Miller, then look at what’s left and see what Lilja will sign for or sign Meech.

Now let’s lock up Helm and Abby and get us a bruiser.

How about we get Helm, Abby, Eaves and Miller locked up and not worry about a bruiser?

Posted by Garth on 06/17/10 at 12:57 PM ET