Before We Get Back To Hockey

I received a Green Cheek Conure as a Christmas gift and need to pick it up tomorrow.

I really don’t know much about birds and wondered if some of you have this as a pet?

Is so, please let me know what to expect.

Thanks.

image

Filed in: KK Website Business, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

ChowYunCat's avatar

There’s a sun conure in my avatar (he has red wings…).  Please give your bird a very large cage, and if possible another bird for it to live with.  Even some parakeets in a separate cage will help your bird not feel alone.

Lots of toys, cycled monthly, will help alleviate boredom.

Posted by ChowYunCat on 12/26/11 at 02:45 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I see that we have a junior partner now…Maybe he can learn to read some basic RSS feeds wink

From a very cursory glance, they can be a little loud at times but can be taught to talk a bit, are very friendly for birds and actually need to eat a decent amount of fresh fruit and vegetables…Here’s a good starter website...

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/26/11 at 03:08 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Is so, please let me know what to expect.

I’m pretty sure you can expect poop to be on your hand when the bird flies away. grin

I used to have a male canary (Woodstock) a lifetime or two ago and was very fond of him.  Good luck with your new pet.

Posted by calquake on 12/26/11 at 04:23 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Not a bird expert by any means, but here’s what I can tell you, Paul: The bird is green, and has feathers.

Hope that helps, and enjoy the newest member of the family.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/26/11 at 12:19 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Parrots of any type are a lot of work, I’m not sure I would accept that present!

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 12/26/11 at 01:41 PM ET

13datsyukfan13's avatar

Paul -

I have an 18 year old green cheek.  He is an amazing companion.  One of the most important things I can share is he won’t react to punishment the same way a dog does.  If he starts screaming do your best to calmly cover his cage or something similar.  If screaming gets you to interact with him (like screaming back or offering a treat to shut him up) he will just scream more often.  Spend as much time with him as you can.  Try to take him out and hold him as much as possible.  He will learn to say things at his own pace.  You may be pleasantly surprised one day when he says something, but don’t be too dissapointed if he never says it again.  I played peek-a-boo with my bird a couple times, he said it one day when I peeked around the corner at him and I was so excited.  It was the only time he ever said it.  LOL.  Be VERY careful about what you give your bird.  NO AVACADO for example - search on the web for a list of foods that are toxic to birds.  They can’t burp, so no carbonated beverages.  They can’t process dairy products so no milk or cheese.  Our bird is sort of a cannibal, he loves chicken and eggs.  Limit the use of teflon pans and space heaters and applainces with the elements that turn red when you heat them.  A large cage is great, but be sure to get the proper bar spacing.  1/2 inch is safe for this bird.  Lots of toys are a must.  Buy them from a reputable site or store instead of walmart. or kmart.  He can be a lovable little gentleman or a screaming terror.  You just have to learn to accept the bad with the good.  As loud as he might get, green cheeks are one of the quietest species.  Have fun.  I hope you enjoy your new companion!!

Me

PS - I find Bird Talk to be a decent magazing for bird owners.

Posted by 13datsyukfan13 from Mid Michigan on 12/26/11 at 11:39 PM ET