Before Summer Break, Pierre LeBrun With Some Hockey Talk

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

- ...So I bring you the name of Mike Green. The Washington Capitals spent some major dough bringing in Niskanen and Brooks Orpik on Tuesday. It screams of perhaps needing to trade out a body now.

Could it be Green? It’s interesting in talking to team execs around the league on Wednesday there was a mixed response, some believed he was available, some didn’t.

But if the Caps do try to move him, I would suspect the Wings would at least look at him. He fits the criteria listed above.

Now, he’s coming off a couple of less than impressive seasons, especially at a $6.08 million cap hit.

On the other hand, he’s heading into the last year of his deal. He’s got a modified no-trade clause in which every offseason he lists seven teams he can’t get traded to, which leaves 22 open for trade.

- UFA center Steve Ott would be a valuable addition for almost any team, a young team needing leadership or a contender adding more character. He’s a solid faceoff guy, penalty killer and gritty player all-around.

Word is about four or five teams are in the mix for the 31-year-old, who finished the season in St. Louis. Ott didn’t re-sign with the Blues at first because he wanted more term than St. Louis was offering, but we’ll see in the end whether or not he circles back to them or not. Minnesota is another team that we think has some level of interest but may not have the cap room to do it.

more notes...

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

A Caps friend of mine were just talking about this. I’d take him on a one-year tryout basically. The cap hit scares me but again, it’s one-year. If the Caps would eat just $2mil of it that would make it worth it to me. Being a UFA, and the odd-man out, he probably would be cheaper than Yandle. Although…I really want Yandle.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 07/02/14 at 01:51 PM ET

Green? Worse defensively than Kris Letang.

Whatever. If the Caps will eat $2M, I would be OK with that. But I am not giving up much for him, that’s for sure.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/02/14 at 01:53 PM ET

Green drives play, though.

I don’t think Washington would have to eat salary—just take some back.  Kindl, say.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/02/14 at 02:26 PM ET

Ok, I’m on board with the Kindl idea.

Regarding your graph, the blue line “Team” - is that Washington or Detroit? If it’s Washington, can you plot Green against Detroit?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/02/14 at 02:44 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I like Green as trade target. Low risk, term-wise, and because he’s not a true #1-2 like Yandle, he could be pried away for less than Tats/Gus/Jurco/Mantha, who my fingers are certainly crossed we don’t trade at this point.

But would they demand a first rounder? Babs said himself… we don’t trade first rounders anymore. Those guys are deemed too valuable at this point. I feel like we would maybe trade a first INSTEAD of one of our top forward prospects, but that would have to be for something way better than one year of Green. Trade prices are probably pretty steep right now I’d think?

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/02/14 at 02:53 PM ET

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/02/14 at 03:53 PM ET

Supposedly, next year’s draft is very deep, so not sure how keen Wings will be on letting the 1st round pick go.

Posted by George0211 on 07/02/14 at 03:14 PM ET

The team is Washington (and I stole the graph from Tyler Dellow, it isn’t really mine.)

I can compare Green to Detroit, but it wouldn’t be as meaningful—Green’s numbers plotted above are really “Washington-with-Green-on-the-ice” versus “Washington-with-Green-on-the-ice.”

Detroit’s Corsi For % since 2008:

2008—58.0% (yeah, we were kinda good)
2009—57.3%
2010—54.0&
2011—53.2%
2012—54.9%
2013—53.6%
2014—52.4%

Green’s Corsi, just from the chart above, were (rounded to whole numbers):

2008—58%
2009—57%
2010—54%
2011—53%
2012—52%
2013—52%
2014—52%

Basically with Green on the ice the Capitals have been either and elite possession team or, more recently, just a very good one.  Without Green, these are the Caps’ numbers, with, in parens, a similar team from that same season:

2008—54% (the San Jose Sharks—so really good!)
2009—54% (San Jose again, still really good)
2010—52% (Ottawa or Phoenix—still top-10 in the league)
2011—51% (Columbus—middle of the pack, possession-wise)
2012—48% (Montreal, which is worse than it sounds)
2014—46% (the Calgary Flames—so really bad)

We can’t really project from this how Green’s skills would translate given teammates, etc., in Detroit, but it’s clear that he’s part of what works in Washington, not part of the problem.

And keep in mind these are only five-on-five numbers—his power play skills aren’t reflected here.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/02/14 at 03:15 PM ET

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/02/14 at 03:27 PM ET

If you’re interested, Dellow did a series—first one’s here http://www.mc79hockey.com/2014/05/corsirel-and-famous-defencemen-i/—that included some of the guys we missed out on yesterday.

They’re all pretty good except Boyle.  All our trade targets that he looked at are pretty good too, except Myers.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/02/14 at 03:35 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

he lists seven teams he can’t get traded to

Let me guess.  They’re in Canada.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/02/14 at 04:29 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Green may be an option, but there will be others as the season progresses. Depending how the Red Wings are doing, there may not be a trade before the trade deadline. It does give the Red Wings an opportunity to evaluate what they have and not make any desperate moves assuming they are comfortably in the playoff mix. The Western Conference is now even stronger which is great as those teams can beat each other up, and hopefully field a beat up, tired team for the SCF’s. It looks like the way the Eastern Conference is situated, advancing to the SCF’s could be anybody who plays decent. This of course includes the Red Wings.

Posted by bigfrog on 07/02/14 at 04:54 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

I’m pretty iffy on Green’s work ethic and other “intangibles”, but if Green could be had for Kindl or Quincey and a pick and maybe a conditional pick based on, say, how many games Green plays, I would give that some thought. The price would have to be somewhat low though to reduce expectations from fans and from Green himself, because I don’t see Green as a legitimate top two defenseman, especially on the defensive side, but someone who could fit in well on the second pairing and of course on the power play. I don’t know how reasonable this trade would be though.

It might be interesting if we discussed some plausible trade ideas to get our (Red Wing fans’) minds off how awful Canada Day was.

Posted by EDJ on 07/02/14 at 07:17 PM ET