Be Careful With Your Spoken Words

from Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star,

Before he left to become president of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Brian Burke got Sportsnet into some hot water over a comment about the Colorado Avalanche failing to put a “boot on their throat” against the Dallas Stars in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

On Monday, Sportsnet will run the second of two required acknowledgments that Burke violated the Canadian broadcasters’ code of conduct by promoting violence with his words on Sept. 4.

Between periods in Game 7 of the Avalanche-Stars series in Edmonton, Burke said: “I thought when they went up 3-2 they got complacent. And when a team you’re playing is flat, that’s when you gotta put a boot on their throat and put your full body weight on it. They had a chance to put the game away there. They looked lackadaisical. They looked like, OK, we got a lead. And I sure hated the penalty call that put Dallas back in this game.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, d, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TeamDub's avatar

Good grief…

That asteroid can hit aaaaaaany time now.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 02/19/21 at 05:28 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Good grief…

That asteroid can hit aaaaaaany time now.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 02/19/21 at 05:28 PM ET

Skate. To. Throat. was a sports term used so often I couldn’t keep count. It was never used to offend.

I’ll be waiting outside for that asteroid right along with ya…... ohh

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 02/19/21 at 05:50 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Now Kate, that would require a modicum of common sense…  blank stare

I’ll be waiting outside for that asteroid right along with ya…

I will have snacks and drinks. Most likely cured meats and cheeses.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 02/19/21 at 06:13 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I will have snacks and drinks. Most likely cured meats and cheeses.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 02/19/21 at 06:13 PM ET

Ouzo on ice. Prosciutto, smoked provolone….. Cheers! wink

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 02/19/21 at 06:37 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

PC insanity continues. mad

Posted by bigfrog on 02/19/21 at 06:48 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Rolled my eyes so hard I got a headache.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/19/21 at 07:51 PM ET

Chip4Pips's avatar

This is complete insanity. Promoting violence?!? Do we take every single word uttered in literal translation now?!?!? Absolutely ridiculous. The PC language police people really should have better things to do than this. Sorry. Not going to even pretend to be offended by that Burke comment.

Posted by Chip4Pips on 02/19/21 at 08:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

What’s next, bat HIT the ball or HAIL MARY pass?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/19/21 at 08:16 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Grand slam, roll with the punches, if you can’t beat em, join em…......

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 02/19/21 at 09:00 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Slap shot…. a two-fer…... wink

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 02/19/21 at 09:03 PM ET

Not saying I mind a fair hockey fight, but does if not promote violence,
by you know, physically modeling it by promoting clips of athletic role models
punching each other bare knuckle in fight-specific posts *by Sportnet*?

I like that they had to mention it was bad and wrong - twice.
I guess washing mouths out with soap or writing “we will not let
Brian Burke use violent metaphors” a hundred times weren’t practical.
No wonder he was willing to parachute into that mess in Pittsburgh.

Posted by lefty.30 on 02/19/21 at 10:29 PM ET