Barnaby Needs Some Help

from Bucky Gleason of the Buffalo News,

Forget about Barnaby the hockey player and TV personality. Condemn him if you will, but my concern is for Barnaby the person. I consider him a friend. I’m worried about him. He’s a good guy on a reckless path.

Recent studies revealed many players who died young suffered from brain damage related to concussions. Rangers tough Derek Boogaard was added to the list Tuesday. Barnaby had 295 fights in his career starting in juniors and suffered numerous concussions, including one that ultimately ended his career.

Doctors say telltale signs of brain trauma are erratic behavior, depression and substance abuse. You need not be a neurologist to see Barnaby suffered from various symptoms. He acknowledged as much himself last season.

He complained that he was short-tempered and didn’t feel right for two years after he retired. He wondered if he had disconnections in his brain and worried about his long-term health. At the same time, last May, he refused to blame concussions for his own behavior.

Filed in: NHL Media, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: espn, matthew+barnaby

Comments

Da lil Guy's avatar

I don’t like Matt Barnaby, and I disagree with the premise that he’s a ‘good guy’.

However, if those who know him disagree with me and think he would benefit from getting some help, then I truly hope he does.

However, his ‘destructive path’ has already lead him to break the law numerous times. So he’ll probably need to get the help he needs in an institutional setting - or at the very least at the behest of the court.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 12/08/11 at 12:24 PM ET

Well then, maybe you should talk to him personally since you know him so well and are so concerned. That seems like the first thing I would do instead of write an article about him so I can get some page hits.

Posted by pstumba on 12/08/11 at 12:35 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

So he admitted to having problems and has refused to get help for that which he recognized?  What a rosy picture.

I do hope Matt Barnaby gets help, I really do, for the sake of anybody he might hurt with his reckless and stupid antics.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/08/11 at 12:40 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t think Barnaby’s problems are caused by any brain illness or trauma.

I think they’re caused by a problem human being who makes very selfish and poor choices, who has bought into his own cult status since before he was in the NHL.  He’s a guy that was apparently getting it on with ESPN’s Michelle Beadle while he was still married.  The only “brain illness” that causes something like that is selfishness and stupidity.

Barnaby is that jock you knew in high school who always thought his athlete status protected him.  He’s not a guy on this path because he’s a fighter, he’s a fighter because that’s who he is (a jerk and a jackass) and as a result is he’s now arrived here.  Big difference.

Posted by Primis on 12/08/11 at 01:21 PM ET

wolverine's avatar

Primis, you’re right on.  It’s the old “what came first, the head trauma or the questionable behavior?”  I think it’s the latter.

Posted by wolverine on 12/08/11 at 03:18 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

Posted by pstumba on 12/08/11 at 09:35 AM ET

Truth.  If you’re writing a column instead of speaking with him, you’re not a friend.

Posted by Savage Henry on 12/08/11 at 06:21 PM ET