Ban The No-Trade, No-Movement Clauses

from Mike Brophy of Sportsnet,

In early collective bargaining contract talks it has become apparent league owners would like to put a limit on the length of contracts. Quite honestly, I have never understood how the majority of players in the NHL Players Association have allowed ridiculous long-term contracts—anything over seven years seems too long to me—to exist for so long. After all, only a select few players in the league are awarded such mega-deals and those contracts hamper the ability of the rest of the members of the union to maximize their earning potential.

What I’d also like to see is a complete abolishment of no-trade and no-movement clauses. A general manager’s inability to move a player is bad for business. Don’t believe me? Just ask the good people of Toronto who have not witnessed a playoff game since 2004 and had to sit back and watch Mats Sundin play out his deal when the team could have improved itself by trading him.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

If a GM wants to give a no-move or no-trade that’s up to him, why does that have to be something mandated across the board?

And why does anyone give a shit about the Sundin situation?

Posted by Garth on 07/17/12 at 01:51 PM ET

Garth, my thinking exactly.

You ask a player to sign for ten years to reduce your cap hit, they commit and then you can trade him next week or not if you gave him a NTC. As if every benefit should go to the GMs who cannot seem to control themselves.  Why wouldn’t the GM include a clause in the NTC that states that if a player wants to be traded, he has to waive his wish list as well? That type of negotiating room should be allowed in the CBA.

If I were a GM, I’d prefer not to give out NTCs or NMC, but I’d also like to have that sweetner if that is what it took to keep a player I really wanted long term. You can even have the NTC or NMC have a specific dollar value so that it levels the economic impact across contracts from desirable to onon-desireable locations. An NTC could be worht 100k towards the cap for each year it is in affect. There would be a “cost” that would minimize doing this.  I keep hearing proposals that the league should reduce all negotiating tactics to the lowest common denominator because every other system seems to be to “hard” for the GMs to manage, but then why is it the CBAs job to make it easier for GMs?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 07/17/12 at 02:20 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

I wanna see a rule against burying one-way contract mistakes in the minors too. Wade Redden, Jeff Finger, Rositslav Olesz, etc. Teams shouldn’t be allowed to do that. Maybe set a certain limit salary wise? Idk but I would like to see that gone from the NHL.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/17/12 at 03:10 PM ET

Maybe set a certain limit salary wise?

I think that, with over-35 contracts, if you send the player to the minors only the AHL max salary is taken off the books of the NHL team and the rest of the salary is still counted against the cap.  This should be how it goes for all players, I would think.

Posted by Garth on 07/17/12 at 03:13 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Good one, I would be all for that.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/17/12 at 03:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t see the need to eliminate NTC’s/NMC’s altogether, but there should be restriction on them of only 1 or 2 allowed at any given time.

Then, if a player wants a NTC, it’s more than just a throw-away add-on.

Player X wants to reup with Team Y, and wants a NTC.  The NTC would put the team at their cap of, say, 2 for the duration of the contract.  Does the team lock itself in for 3 or 4 years with no more to offer?

Conversely, I would ALSO like to see NTC’s binding and non-waivable.  Make it non-waivable and suddenly players won’t be asking for them as much, because who wants to be trapped a year or two down the road?.

There’s nothing really wrong with NTC’s right now except that they have no real consequences for either side.

Posted by Primis on 07/17/12 at 04:45 PM ET

NTC and NMC’s undermine the teams ability to adjust with changing dynamics. It is unacceptible to have a player demand a trade and then say btw I will only go to 6 teams. It destroys the trade value and undermines the morale of the entire team. They serve no purpose other than to blackmail a franchise.

Posted by timbits on 07/17/12 at 10:31 PM ET

I disagree with the removal of NTC/NMC. Often times a player nearing the end of their career wants to play with a certain team, or wants to play close to where their family is (such as Brad Stuart coming to San Jose this offseason). It gives them a chance to settle in. They can buy a house rather than finding a place to rent and be near their family without worrying about getting traded to a team that is across the country.

Posted by Jon on 07/24/12 at 02:11 AM ET