Babcock’s got his hands full

From the Toronto Star's Kevin McGran:

If there was ever a time when Mike Babcock might have some self doubt about the job he chose for himself, it could well be this week.

On Tuesday, his Maple Leafs were out-skated, out-hustled and outperformed by Jack Eichel and the Buffalo Sabres, a team that courted his services as much as the Maple Leafs.

On Friday, he'll return to Detroit, where he spent a decade behind the bench of the Red Wings, a team that didn't want him to leave.

Based on the way his team plays, he may be left wondering: "What have I gotten myself into?"

Continued

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+babcock, toronto+maple+leafs

Comments

George Malik's avatar

Should work now.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/01/15 at 10:25 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I’m sure he’ll just take a quick swim in his vault of gold, scrooge mcduck style, and feel just fine about his decision.  Money was all that mattered to him anyway.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 10/01/15 at 10:49 AM ET

My heart really bleeds for this guy.

I hope he grinds his teeth to powder.

Posted by captaineclectic on 10/01/15 at 11:00 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Babs knew what he was getting into.  He wanted a big challenge, and by golly, he got it!
Good luck to him.  I hope the Wings kick Toronto’s butt.

Posted by w2j2 on 10/01/15 at 11:02 AM ET

jpellek's avatar

I don’t wish ill-will on the guy and of course I hope the Wings beat Toronto every time they meet. Mike knew what he was doing and the money was compensation for having to put up with a disaster of a franchise that is still 3-4 years away from seriously competing. Him leaving also allowed the Wings to move on to a new chapter that was desperately needed. In the end, he may have done the Red Wings the biggest favor.

Posted by jpellek on 10/01/15 at 11:32 AM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

“What have I gotten myself into?”

“Oh, yeah, fifty million bucks, that’s what.  Nevermind.  Haha.”

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 10/01/15 at 11:34 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

And so it begins…......

How many times during his tenure in Detroit were there 25 media members in the locker room after a pre-season game??

That huge lump of money Uncle Mike got isn’t for coaching the team, but dealing with the media every single game/practice.

That great head of hair Mikes got will be grey by seasons end.

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/01/15 at 11:56 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I want him to fall on his face in Toronto, and then I want DET to thrive without him and it to then be abundantly clear to everyone just how Babcock held DET back.

Posted by Primis on 10/01/15 at 12:09 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

LOL

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/01/15 at 12:35 PM ET

I bet he’s doubting himself in the preseason because he probably assumed that the 27th place team would have an immediate turnaround and go 82-0 this season.

A rude awakening indeed.

Posted by Garth on 10/01/15 at 12:46 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’m interested to see how quickly that headline turns into ....

If there was ever a time when Toronto fans might have some doubt about the coach they asked for, it could well be this week.

Posted by awould on 10/01/15 at 02:03 PM ET