Babcock Knows His Team

This Monday, Mike Babcock said...

"And we don't score any goals - at least not that I've seen. So let's not give up 40 shots, let's give up 20 shots, let's continue to score no goals, but let's win 2-1.  How's that? Everyone think that sounds like a plan?"

Last night via TSN boxscore of the Wings/Canucks game..

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

So here’s my question for you guys, George, Paul and J.J.; because we all know that Sammy is the elephant in the room and has literally zero (actually, negative) worth to this team because he doesn’t play and takes a roster spot, are there any realistic scenarios where we can just waive that dude? He’s literally the biggest waste of space. I know we only get 100k cap relief no matter what, but who cares? He is absolutely horrible and we could use Nyquist there or even use that spot for Eaves or Tootoo so we don’t have to just get rid of those 2 for cap reasons. They are better assets in my opinion. Thoughts?

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 10/31/13 at 11:34 AM ET

Paul's avatar

ZP, I don’t really think any team is interested in Sammy right now so the Wings will probably keep him around and play him on occasion.  Plus, in case of injury to a forward, he may be able to fill in for a few games.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/31/13 at 11:38 AM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Thanks for posting Paul. Pretty incredible stuff. Gotta love Babs. It is a tragedy that Nyquist isn’t up with the team right now. Not sure he could provide the extra scoring threat we need, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt. Hope Helm can make it back in the next few games. Can’t wait to see him play again. Go Wings

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 10/31/13 at 11:58 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Everyone think that sounds like a plan?

I think a better plan would be a 4-1 win, but… he’s the coach

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 10/31/13 at 12:34 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Amazing!

Posted by w2j2 on 10/31/13 at 03:09 PM ET

awould's avatar

Question: Is there a move Holland has ever made that was worse than the Samuellson signing?

Posted by awould on 10/31/13 at 04:22 PM ET

Remember those halcyon days of yore, back when people thought Babcock had lost the ear of the team?

You know, yesterday?

I think the Quincey signing was worse because it cost the Wings a #1.  All the Sammy signing has cost the Wings is playing Nyquist for 14 games (to date).

That said, the Sammy signing sucked because he got hurt.  That’s tough to predict.  Granted, it nicely played in to the people who have designated Sammy as their hate dumpster, but still.  Compare and contrast with the Helm deal, which if Helm can’t consistently get on the ice would blow past the Sammy signing.

Also, although it’s pretty early, the Weiss signing might provide some strong competition considering that deal goes through 2018.

Bears watching.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/31/13 at 04:39 PM ET

You know, yesterday? Who’s micro-analyzing now?

I think the Quincey signing was worse because it cost the Wings a #1. I think you mean traded for a No. 1.

All the Sammy signing has cost the Wings is playing Nyquist for 14 games.. Plus, $750,000 per game played last season or a nifty $3,000,000 assist. In addition to 14 games and counting of time that other players on the Griffins aren’t getting to play because Nyquist is there soaking up PT.

I think the trouble here is that some people view the Red Wings through a micro-sized lens which allows them to pretty much see what they want to see.

...the Sammy signing sucked because he got hurt.  That’s tough to predict.  Uhm, what part of never played an entire full season don’t you get? Still, it is true, If Sammy hadn’t been hurt, last season, he may or may not have improved on an overachieving season. Who knows - we won’t. But, Sammy isn’t hurt this season. So, I’m not understanding your point at all.

...people who have designated Sammy as their hate dumpster… Some people focus on one person while others focus on marginalizing everyone.

Compare and contrast with the Helm deal… Why should we when you didn’t? But, to indulge your curiosity…what we do know it that Sammy is probably on his last tour in the NHL. Helm, on the other hand, is still pretty young - 26, the same age that Sammy was when the Wings risked his injured body on a roster spot. How did that work out again? [You can answer that one.]

...although it’s pretty early, the Weiss signing… You said it. Time will tell on this one. Why don’t you wait before you begin your “I told you so, even if I didn’t say anything”.

Bears watching. Please, keep watching the Bears. They are an awful football team.

thus ends my moment feeding your need for attention. I hope that makes you feel better because Sammy shouldn’t be the only one enjoying your handy work.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/31/13 at 05:34 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/31/13 at 12:38 PM ET

Paul, I gotta agree. Holding on to Sammy is smart, at this time. He can and will play without moaning on the third and forth lines. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is released to waivers at the very last moment. That would be when his usefulness ends.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/31/13 at 05:38 PM ET

Who’s micro-analyzing now?

Is that what you think micro-analyzing is… pointing out stupid stuff people said 24 hours ago?

Plus, $750,000 per game played last season or a nifty $3,000,000 assist.

Yeah, cry over spilt money for a billionaire owner.  Boo hoo.

Uhm, what part of never played an entire full season don’t you get?

There’s injured, and then there’s Injured.  You can figure that a guy with Sammy’s history will miss 10-20 games in a given year.  You can’t really figure that a guy with Sammy’s injury history will miss all of them, pretty much.

But, Sammy isn’t hurt this season. So, I’m not understanding your point at all.

I don’t think you read/understood what I said.

I don’t think you read/understood what i said.  I sense a pattern.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/31/13 at 07:10 PM ET

yep. That’s pretty much a dictionary definition.

Yeah, cry over spilt money for a billionaire owner.  Boo hoo.

So if Helm and Weiss are a bust, no big deal. Why’d you even bring it up?

Sammy’s history will miss 10-20 games in a given year.  You can’t really figure that a guy with Sammy’s injury history will miss all of them, pretty much. you really haven’t looked at his stats have you.

Let me ask you a question: Do you think every roster spot and role on the team is wide open to start a season? I guess there are dumb questions.

I sense a pattern. Three make a pattern. Two are called coincidence. I guess you would understand that since you’ve never seen Sammy’s injury history.

Boo hoo. that about says everything you’ve ever contributed to this blog.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 11/01/13 at 09:26 AM ET