As Usual, NHL Is More In Tune

Just one reason out of a hundred why the NHL is better than the NFL was on full display last night during that embarrassing excuse for a national anthem.

Hockey fans are privileged to witness rousing anthem renditions at the Stanley Cup Finals from the likes of Lauren Hart and Lyndon Slewidge.  Football fans get to watch irreverent, self-important celebrities using their minute and a half at the Super Bowl to get their diva on.

Nothing for the rest of the evening could’ve been worse than Christina Aguilera making a fool of herself - not the refs penalizing the Packers for being happy about scoring a touchdown in the biggest game of their lives - not even a commercial with a man smothering his face with another man’s nacho cheese infested pants.

It was a great game, but you know what?  It wasn’t as exciting as last year’s Stanley Cup Finals, where at least I didn’t have to see Daniel Briere spending two minutes in the penalty box for overdoing his patented underhanded fist jab after lighting the lamp.

Anyway, if you’ll excuse me, I’m heading over to YouTube.  If I watch Lauren’s and Lyndon’s versions a few more times, I’m convinced that I can body check that image of last night’s awful pregame performance out of my subconscious forever.

Twitter: @DaveDavisHockey

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bad+anthem+singers, christina+aguilera, great+anthem+singers, lauren+hart, lyndon+slewidge

Comments

Couldn’t agree more!

Posted by penguinsfan on 02/07/11 at 02:45 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Hockey fans are privileged to witness rousing anthem renditions at , not only, every regular season game, but also each game of the playoffs through to the conclusioin of the Stanley Cup Finals

Fixed

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 02/07/11 at 02:46 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

If the Cup Finals were as big of a tv event as the Super Bowl, you would see the exact same thing; celebrities unshamesly trying to push network and corporate product. As to the diva part of over singing the anthem, I blame Whitney Houston and American Idol. Whitney popularized this whole oversinging the anthem stuff and it gets reinforced on American Idol. Nobody powerful enough has slammed their fist on the table and said stop. The American Anthem is a beautiful song. It doesn’t need to be individualized.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 02/07/11 at 03:14 PM ET

Love in the playoffs when Lyndon Slewidge puts out the Mike and lets the crowd sing half of Oh Canada.

You can throw Jeff Jimerson in with this group of good anthem singers as well. Sings the song, does a god job, gets the heck out of there.

Posted by StevieSteve on 02/07/11 at 04:42 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Karen Newman can NOT be left out of this conversation.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/07/11 at 06:05 PM ET

I just saw the youtube upload this afternoon and I was appalled.  Never thought Aguilera could down the tubes singing our National Anthem like Carl Lewis and Roseanne Barr.  Awful….

Good call, Dave.  The Wranglers’ Paul Villaluz is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/07/11 at 07:54 PM ET