Artemi Panarin Taking A Leave Of Absence

from Mollie Walker of the New York Post,

New York Rangers star Artemi Panarin is taking a leave of absence from the team in wake of a politically motivated article from Russia, in which his former Vityaz head coach alleges that the ex-forward of the Moscow Region club beat an 18-year-old girl in Riga, Latvia in 2011, The Post’s Larry Brooks reported Monday morning.

Andrei Nazarov, who is currently the head coach of the KHL’s Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, has repeatedly criticized Panarin for the forward’s outspoken beliefs regarding Russian leader Vladimir Putin’s regime. Nazarov is a known Putin supporter.

The Rangers are expected to release a statement on the situation.

continued

added 11:32am,

NEW YORK, February 22, 2021 – The New York Rangers today released the following statement regarding Artemi Panarin:

“Artemi vehemently and unequivocally denies any and all allegations in this fabricated story. This is clearly an intimidation tactic being used against him for being outspoken on recent political events. Artemi is obviously shaken and concerned and will take some time away from the team. The Rangers fully support Artemi and will work with him to identify the source of these unfounded allegations.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: artemi+panarin

Comments

Paul's avatar

The author of the post, Mollie Walker did some translating for us.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/22/21 at 12:47 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The NHL on this…

“We are completely supportive of Artemi Panarin and the Rangers and will continue to monitor the situation.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/22/21 at 12:51 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

So the question here is, what is going on that makes this come up now - 10 years later?

I try to be as disconnected from the news as possible so I’m sure I am missing something, but this sure seems like quite a reach because of a political disagreement.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/22/21 at 12:55 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Why would Panarin ever want to criticize a 5’5” Napoleonic Complex addled leader who, by the way, once scored 9 goals in pickup game featuring russian NHL players ?

long face

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/22/21 at 12:56 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Mollie Walker updated the article, same link as above, new information.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/22/21 at 01:08 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Panarin came out and criticized Putin a couple weeks ago, then this coach makes the accusation in the same article as he claims “provocations - albeit verbal - of recent years in his social networks” (translated).

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 02/22/21 at 03:41 PM ET

For what it’s worth Nazarov was regarded as
a dirty player and kind of borderline nutcase when
he played in the NHL

Panarin has been bluntly critical of Putin to
an almost unheard of extent and rather eloquently so.

I had a roommate for a few months sublet, from a small town outside of Moscow,
And she had some beyond fascinating stories about daily life there for working class people - the bribes, bureaucracy and so on; how she totally censored herself a soon as she’d arrive back there. Her summation of Putin’s enduring power and influence for what’s worth was “it’s because he kills people”. One woman’s opinion but she wasn’t crazy or paranoid in general and said this matter of factly like it was just an open secret no one living there says out loud. Not a political judgement of Russia a uniquely authoritarian vis a vis other countries, but an interesting perspective. She liked gin rather than vodka and while we talking in the kitchen one time poured me four tumblers one right after another of the stiffest pours of gin and tonic you can imagine. I don’t drink much in recent years and it took every bit of Celtic ancestry I’ve got to steadily match her drink for drink.

Posted by lefty.30 on 02/22/21 at 08:32 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 02/22/21 at 11:55 AM ET

You really are completely disconnected from the news then.  Because this is the sort of thing Putin does all the time.  If you speak up against Glorious Putin, bad things almost immediately happen to you.

Google “Alexei Navalny” sometime, and see what happens to people who do more than speak up against Putin just once.

For what it’s worth Nazarov was regarded as
a dirty player and kind of borderline nutcase when he played in the NHL

Posted by lefty.30 on 02/22/21 at 07:32 PM ET

Yeah Nazarov was not highly regarded during his playing days, nor was he ever mistaken for the brightest bulb…  it’s no surprise he’d be pro-Putin.

Someday Putin is going to die and I genuinely can’t imagine the bloodshed that’ll happen in the fight over his spot, because there will be plenty wanting Totalitarian Dictator for Life.  And the sad part is, so many Russians don’t even realize it…

Posted by Primis on 02/23/21 at 10:06 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

My goal is to retire to the Yoop, with a house on a lake, and no news anywhere without actively searching for it; I’m practicing the habits now and am a happy man most of the time.  I have no idea what people are complaining about these days on FB, and it doesn’t matter because in a week they’d have shifted to something completely different.

That said, I do know some of the Putin stories.  Similar to Lefty (great story Lefty, btw), when I lived in Shtcago I had a friend who was from Russia (she had actually bumped into Ovie a few times, I guess they grew up in the same region).  The stories these people have are fascinating, sad.  Sometimes the stories seem made up, but no…they aren’t.

When I was younger, in my small-ish MI town I grew up in, we had a sandwhich shop my parents enjoyed going to.  Got talking to the owners, they had fled Russia and ended up in the US.  This was in the early 90’s, so I’m not sure when they left Russia but it wasn’t during a great time.  I was too young to understand most of what the “adults” were talking about, but one thing stuck with me: the Russian guy carried toilet paper in his pocket everywhere he went, even years later, because he said you always had to have your own in Russia, and despite living in the US for a few years he still couldn’t get used to it being so freely provided wherever you went.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/23/21 at 10:48 AM ET