Artem Anisimov Extension With The Chicago Blackhawks

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: artem+anisimov

Comments

wow. CHI getting shit done… Whish we had stan

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/01/15 at 08:58 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Every year it’s the same crap about Holland. I enjoy being in the mix of things in April, don’t you?

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 07/01/15 at 09:05 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I guess I don’t get this.  I thought Saad was looking for about $5 mil/year, 5 years.  If they are most concerned about his pay next season, couldn’t the Hawks have back-loaded his contract and attached performance bonuses to it for the 15/16 season (to be paid out in 16/17)?

Posted by TreKronor on 07/01/15 at 09:07 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

And then there is the fact that Anisimov has been a 20-goal scorer once in his career and he’s already 27.  This price just seems obnoxious to me.  I don’t get it.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/01/15 at 09:09 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

I am with you Tre, I don’t really see the logic in this one. Especially considering Anisimov had term left and they have no idea who he fits with the team. And the fact that Saad is just better.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 07/01/15 at 09:22 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Maybe Saad wanted out for reasons we don’t know.

Posted by duhduhduh on 07/01/15 at 09:30 AM ET

In the mix?  I’d rather the Wings be an actual contender in April, like Chicago.

Posted by Garth on 07/01/15 at 09:41 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

And we know they’re a perennial contender because of two reasons-

1. They stank for years to get talent…

2. Bowman…

The Wings aren’t in that bad of a position.

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 07/01/15 at 09:46 AM ET

Posted by Garth on 07/01/15 at 10:41 AM ET

Ask for the moon too, why don’t you. How dare you Garth grin

Posted by George0211 on 07/01/15 at 09:47 AM ET

Posted by Garth on 07/01/15 at 10:41 AM ET

Awww, someone jealous of the big bad Hawks? The same team that essentially took the entire blueprint of the Red Wings organization? Guess what? They *#$%@& sucked for a while which is exactly how they are in the position they are in. So would you rather have a shot every single year or would you want the Wings to tank so they get a top 5 draft pick two years in a row which sets them up for the next 20 years? God I hate this fanbase sometimes.

Posted by weswolverine on 07/01/15 at 09:47 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Saad supposedly opened at 6.5 x 6 (I’m picturing the agent giving his parent the gears.)  Regret that one Brandon?  On the other hand, maybe its a drag to have Toews on your back all the time.

Anyway, Marko Dano didn’t score too many goals, but I watched some of the ones he did score and I honestly think that every team in the league would jump to have him.  He’s just getting started but I think most coaches would be pretty excited.  Young, fast, hard, heavy….those things they like nowadays.  I think he’s the centerpiece.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/01/15 at 09:50 AM ET

Yeah I agree. The tried to match the role of Saad with Anisimov for the shorter term and got a great young player in Dano. I’m not sure of the younger players they gave up though, but Dano will be an NHLer someday for sure.

Posted by weswolverine on 07/01/15 at 09:54 AM ET

d ca's avatar

What the hell is Stan doing? Why are people praising him? He’s making it so any GM can fleece his team knowing they have to dump contracts.  I would totally get this if they weren’t in cap hell…but they have to get Seabrook, Shaw, Van Riemsdyk, and Versteeg new deals by next July (you know RFA & UFA for July 2016: why the Wings bought out Weiss)...Kane and Toews are not Dats and Z’s age for 1 last run and pay the piper later.

They have 19 players signed for 70.865M. The NHLPA won’t let them just carry 21 contacts. So they still need to dump players.

Versteeg’s agent already nixed one trade. They couldn’t move Sharp or Bickell before/during the draft. Now teams can go after free agents instead.

They already have Toews (#1 C), Shaw (#3 C), and Teravainen (#4 C). Brad Richards was willing to take less to play there as the #2 C (again b/c of his buyout money). They traded Saad b/c of contract/offer sheet (which they could match) concerns for centers: Dano (a 2013 high drafted prospect) and Anisimov. Then they go and sign one of them to money slightly less that Saad was supposedly asking for. Anisimov’s a good player when healthy, but he’s already showing signs of wear (heck big bad Kyle Quincey knocked him out enough he had to be taken off on a stretcher if I remember right).

The Hawks have 3.25M in potential performance bonuses this year (15-16) and the treat of cap recapture with Hossa’s deal is always going to be there.

Are they moving Seabrook or Sharp today? Doesn’t every other GM say, “yeah we know what kind of special player player X is worth on the Hawks…but we also know how up against the cap you are and only get you player X-3 worth of players in return. Otherwise we’ll just wait and get him on waivers later.”

Reloading on the fly is fine, but they need guys on EL contracts to balance Toews’, Kane’s, Keith’s, and Crawford’s cap hits.  30 yr old right handed shooting d-man that scores 7 goals during a cup run and you’re not clearing cap space for him—but instead taking on additional money on a maxed-out cap team?

Posted by d ca on 07/01/15 at 09:57 AM ET

Of course I’m jealous of the Hawks.  Anyone who wants their team to succeed should be jealous of the Hawks.

They took the blueprint that Holland has abandoned and they have done what people said can’t be done in the cap era.

Since 2009 the Blackhawks have won as many Stanley Cups as the Red Wings have won playoff series.

Not to mention that they’ve managed to reload their team twice in the time that it’s taken Ken Holland to turn the Wings from a Stanley Cup finalist into a playoff bubble team.

Sometimes I hate the fan base too, the ones who say “Hey, the Wings made the playoffs again, what more do you want?”

I should be jealous of the Hawks, you should be jealous of the Hawks and Ken Holland should be jealous of the Hawks.

Posted by Garth on 07/01/15 at 10:10 AM ET

Posted by Garth on 07/01/15 at 11:10 AM ET

So we’re just glossing over the fact that the sucked for so long to get Toews and Kane? What were the Wings doing those years?! Oh right! Oh, while we are at it, let’s gloss over the fact that this year they were INCREDIBLY lucky that Kane got hurt precisely when he did, so they could lose his cap hit and go out and sign Vermette and keep him on the roster when Kane came back because there is no cap hit during the playoffs. Let’s just cherry pick every goddamn detail. Go be an Edmonton fan and see how they feel for a bit and come back when you aren’t sipping from the 1% cup that Holland has created for you spoiled *#$%@& brats.

Posted by weswolverine on 07/01/15 at 10:19 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Garth….the only reason Stan was able to reload that quickly was because majority of the core talert came from sucking for a decade. I can do without that.

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 07/01/15 at 10:20 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by weswolverine on 07/01/15 at 11:19 AM ET

Don’t waste your breath.  Some people know better than anyone else (as evidenced by all their Cup rings) and facts will not get in their way.  I used to love The Malik Report and don’t mind criticism of the Wings and Ken Holland.  However the constant drumbeat of negativity by the usual suspects has taken the shine off of a great blog.  Most of the time I now just lurk and read, comment every once in a while and stick with the A2Y live blogs.  It’s a much nicer place for Wings fans like you and me.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Covidquake, "Stay the F away from me" on 07/01/15 at 10:35 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Bravo.

Can’t have a freaking discussion about any other team or players in the NHL without someone coming into the thread to throw a fit about something Wings related.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/01/15 at 10:39 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Agreed TK, I am busy on this day and cannot monitor every comment, but please stay on topic in posts, this one is about the extension signed by Anisimov.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/01/15 at 10:41 AM ET

Posted by calquake on 07/01/15 at 11:35 AM ET

There are just a few, most people around here are level headed. I don’t mind criticizing Holland, in some ways I agree with Garth about just making the playoffs, but people can’t just cherry pick the details of things. Also, it makes us just look like a bunch of whiney babies. I hate that.

Posted by weswolverine on 07/01/15 at 10:42 AM ET

The issue with Holland is that loyalty almost always gets the best of him. He’s building around guys Stan Bowman would consider replaceable. Brandon Saad was Chicago’s version of like Tatar/Nyquist, if not even more effective. Holland would do anything and everything to maintain these guys.

Guys like Helm and Abdelkader are so important that we have to make moves this year to account for being able to re-sign them next year.

Ken Holland doesn’t have a killer instinct. He’s overcompensated from the days when he could flip draft picks and prospects for veterans and bolt-on solutions with high-priced free agents. Now, it’s draft and develop and don’t let a single player who establishes himself at the NHL level (or looks like he will) get away.

I think he has to find the balance. But the biggest issue has been the inability to target the right free agents. Now, we have to consider whether this info about Cleary and Weiss being Babcock’s decisions (the Keith Gave article says they went against Holland’s better judgement) or the “Mike Babcock was VERY involved in free agent signings” is true or not. If it is true that Holland wasn’t necessarily behind these two or the Samuelsson, Tootoo and Colaiacovo signings, maybe we are being too hard on Holland. But to me, it sounds more like damage control. Holland knows his post-2011 trade and free agent track record is horrendous (aside from DeKeyser). The only redeeming thing is that Tatar, Nyquist, and DeKeyser have been very good and that Larkin looks like a steal, along with Mantha still being high-end (and let’s not forget the play of Bertuzzi, Athanasiou and Holmstrom).

If Holland failed in the post 2010/2011 drafts as badly as his free agency and trade decisions, I think we’d be seriously looking at a new GM.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/01/15 at 11:15 AM ET

d ca's avatar

Chicago was able to re-load so quickly because:

Kane & Toews were on EL Contracts and were cheap (09-10)

Kane & Toews were on RFA bridge contracts and were still relatively cheap (starting in 2010 until June 2015)

Now they are on UFA top end contracts (that kicked in today)...don’t expect them to reload so quickly.

When your top players are making peanuts you look brillant…it’s when those players get paid and your team has a target among everyone else shows what can you do as a GM.

Posted by d ca on 07/01/15 at 11:51 AM ET

d_ca, it seems like you need at least a couple bigtime impact players on cheap deals in order to win it nowadays.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/01/15 at 11:58 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/01/15 at 12:15 PM ET

A reasonable and well stated point of view.  Much better than the “Holland Sucks” wailing we normally hear.  While I don’t necessarily agree with your conclusion I can accept it as a possibility.  There are very few, if any, other GM’s I would want at the helm of the Red Wings.  He has his faults but has kept the Wings competitive for 24 years.  And if competitive isn’t good enough for some fans perhaps they need to follow another team.  I guess it helps to have lived through the “Dead Wings” and “Darkness with Harkness” eras.  It’s true that sometimes you don’t know what you have until you lose it.  I have no stomach to relive those times.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Covidquake, "Stay the F away from me" on 07/01/15 at 01:01 PM ET