Are You Watching?

via Tom Jones of the St. Petersburg Times,

NBC’s hockey intermissions have become can’t-miss viewing for fans with the very opinionated Milbury and McGuire. On Sunday, they took on the Islanders-Penguins debacle of Friday night that featured 346 penalty minutes, 10 ejections, 15 fighting majors and 20 misconducts. Both were highly critical, particularly of the Islanders, but Milbury had the guts to say this: “We have fighting in this game, not because of the logical hogwash that says players need to have it to police the game. That’s just hogwash. We have it because we like it. … We like the violent part of it whether we admit it or not. We allow it to a certain point. When it goes past that certain point, we all cringe and say, ‘Oh, my God. We’ve got to do something about it.’ ‘’

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nbc

Comments

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

Can’t miss viewing??? What is this guy smoking?

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 02/14/11 at 01:16 AM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Mike Milbury may come up with the idea for world peace and I still won’t listen to it.  He’s too big of a jackass and an idiot for me ever to listen to.  Can’t believe he’s quothed THIS often in this article.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/14/11 at 04:12 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I’m not taking either of these guys seriously until they learn to pronounce Franzen’s name right.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/14/11 at 04:35 AM ET

I still hate Milbury’s TV persona.  I’m sure it’s an overexaggerated act he does to get continued lucrative employment, but I still hate it.  Between that and his record as Islander’s GM, I tend to have no respect for the guy’s opinion.

However, despite all that:

Appears to be the most lucrative and intelligent thing I’ve heard him say.  We like the fighting, we think it’s a great part of an emotional and physical game.  There’s a beauty to a great hockey fight that’s not staged between two guys who can barely play the game, but erupts from skilled players defending themselves or their teammates from borderline plays.

Despite the fact that a fight is clearly an attempt to hurt another guy, when it’s an honorable fight, both guys are in it, and it is distinctly different than a slew foot, elbow to the head, blindside hit, etc.

I still can’t believe Milbury said something I agree with…  Next thing we know Pierre McGuire will cease to be obnoxious for 5 minutes of air time and dogs and cats will be leaving together.  Mass hysteria.

Posted by HitokiriEric from Ann Arbor, MI on 02/14/11 at 05:19 AM ET

Meant to say it appears to be his most lucid and intelligent thing I’ve heard him say…

Also, I still will not be going out of my way to see his intermission report.  I go out of my way to see Hotstove on HNIC despite him.  I generally try to not watch NBC’s intermission report.

One or two mildly intelligent things a week aren’t nearly enough to make up for the amount of stupidity dished out by Milbury and McGuire.

Posted by HitokiriEric from Ann Arbor, MI on 02/14/11 at 05:23 AM ET

To pull a page from Babcock’s book: NBC is “awful.” I can’t stand listening to these guys do games. They conduct elementary analysis for the minority of fresh NHL fans that are possibly tuning in. Eddie O doesn’t let Doc do his job, along with his unbearable drawn-out slow motion replay breakdowns (‘Okay! Stop it right here!’ We just witnessed the *#$%@& play in real time! Not too difficult to follow!) It doesn’t help when Doc asks him: ‘So what do you mean by back pressure?’
And that plug Pierre! How has he not taken a “clearing attempt” off the dome down there on ice level? Also, he looked foolish telling Babcock that the Wings first period play was “questionable.” I’m tired and lost my train of thought….

Paul, this is probably an unnecessary request b/c your site seems to pick up anything and everything NHL, but if you ever run into an article/blog that negatively criticizes NBC and these hummers, please throw it up to increase its exposure.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 02/14/11 at 05:31 AM ET

Milbury is interesting.

Don Cherry is interesting.

Car wrecks are interesting.

Monkeys feeding poop to themselves is interesting..

quit whining, babies, nobody loses an eye when Milbury says something dumb

Posted by StevieSteve on 02/14/11 at 07:28 AM ET

No, I’m not watching NBC because their coverage is worse than VS. The fact that this guy thinks Milbury says anything worth repeating is mind-boggling.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 02/14/11 at 08:52 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I severely dislike Mike Milbury and most things about the NBC broadcasts.  I only watch them when forced and would never turn in specifically to see the intermission report.

However, I went into that intermission expecting to hate everything Milbury had to say about fighting and found myself oddly impressed.  I especially liked the part when they began discussing what to do about the goon players who serve only one purpose.  Pierre mentioned lowering the roster limit to take away one roster spot per team (which the NHLPA would definitely not allow), while Milbury countered with a good counterpoint that perhaps the league should start suspending people who get too many fighting majors - an idea I think that bridges the gap between wanting to eliminate the crappy staged fights that everybody hates and wanting to keep in the real emotional scraps that intensity-filled hockey games produce naturally.

I think it’s an idea worth further consideration, but I hope I’m never again put into the precarious situation of saying that Mike Milbury made a good point.  It’s almost like giving Eklund credit for the one good trade prediction he makes among the sea of made-up garbage he produces.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/14/11 at 01:21 PM ET

wolverine's avatar

He thinks it’s “must see TV”?  I think it’s “time to pee” when these bozos come on.  Hard enough to listen to Doc and Eddy, but when they have exclusive rights, I’m held captive.

Posted by wolverine on 02/14/11 at 05:01 PM ET