Are You Satisfied With The Length Of The OT Games?

from Frank Seravalli of Frequent Flyers,

If you feel like overtime games have been ending quickly, you’re not alone.

Through the first 53 games of this Stanley Cup playoff season, 18 have gone to overtime (33.9 percent).

The overtime in 8 out of those 18 games (44 percent) hasn’t even made it past the three-minute mark. Fans barely have enough time to grab a beer during the intermission and get back to their seats to see the action.

The total overtime played in 18 games is 91:15, making the average overtime length just over 5 minutes at 5:04. Just three games have gone to a double overtime this playoff.

The Flyers, who are 2-0 in overtime this spring, have played an average of 3:29 in overtime. Jake Voracek delivered the game-winner in Game 1 against Pittsburgh at 2:23. Briere scored at 4:46 on Sunday.

more on the Philadelphia OT games…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Hank1974's avatar

Yes. The quicker the better. I can barely stay up past 10 so that works well for me. wink

Posted by Hank1974 on 04/30/12 at 04:16 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

The later the better, I’m used to napping during the intermission and first overtime so I can stay up for #s 2, 3, 4, etc.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/30/12 at 04:18 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I’m right in the middle on this one.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/30/12 at 04:26 PM ET

I’m for games taking as long as they take to end.

Posted by Garth on 04/30/12 at 04:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t know what the preferred length for a playoff OT game would be.  I just want it to be entertaining.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/30/12 at 04:39 PM ET

Do arenas even sell beer after the 3rd? Every Chicago sports venue cuts off alcohol sales before the game is over… one would think Philly should have a similar practice…but then again, them not having it would explain a lot of things…

Posted by pstumba on 04/30/12 at 04:49 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I like games that end with one team being the winner…. and one the loser. It’s much more bettera that way.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/30/12 at 05:19 PM ET

pstumba - I was thinking the same thing….. The arenas I go to always stop selling at the midway point of the 3rd.  Where is this magical place?

Posted by sean_o_sean on 04/30/12 at 06:44 PM ET

I generally like OT to be 10 minutes or so. When it rolls into the 2nd OT, I start worrying it will be all night. I recall the snorefest that was Vancouver and Dallas, about 5 years ago.

Posted by timbits on 04/30/12 at 10:55 PM ET