Are The Flyers Playing A Game Of High Stakes Poker?

from Sam Donellon of the Philadelphia Daily News,

I think Holmgren is playing a gutsy game of poker here, making sure the cash-strapped Devils pay well to keep their captain, or making sure the Penguins fill as much of their recently opened cap space to sign him. Little or no cap room at the start of the season means little or no wiggle room to repair your roster when those upper-body and lower-body injuries occur midseason.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

pensfan29's avatar

I really don’t think Holmgren is that smart.

Posted by pensfan29 on 07/03/12 at 10:06 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

hahahahaha

Posted by Evilpens on 07/03/12 at 10:45 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Every offseason he is chasing the latest and greatest…one of theses years it will catch up to him.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/03/12 at 10:46 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

no mrfluffy it is the senile owner Ed Snider that is telling him to do that

Posted by Evilpens on 07/03/12 at 11:18 AM ET

no mrfluffy it is the senile owner Ed Snider that is telling him to do that

Posted by Evilpens on 07/03/12 at 09:18 AM ET

Snider isn’t heavily involved with the day to day operations any more, it’s Peter Luukko. Snider too busy with his hockey foundation and BOG stuff.

I understand that Holmgren is trying to get a true #1 for Giorux but I rather go after next year’s crop of free agents to address this issue. Sutter move is puzzling to me because they have a group of defenseman full of left handed shooters. There is alot of talk though if Suter leaves weber, it exposes his weaknesses. I really just think he’s doing to screwing around with Shero’s head and it’s working.

I still think Carle resigns with the flyers, trade for ryan and sign group C and D UFA’s.

Posted by FlyersFan on 07/03/12 at 11:52 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMM whatever beavis !

Posted by Evilpens on 07/03/12 at 12:14 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut eventually.

Posted by pensfan29 on 07/03/12 at 12:25 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

There is alot of talk though if Suter leaves weber, it exposes his weaknesses.

Ah, but which one will be the one getting exposed?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/03/12 at 12:41 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

I went and read that article, not a bad take. I just think it’s funny that in the comments section Pen(i)s fans are ripping on the city of Philly just like they try and do to Detroit. This just reeks of insecurity. Why is Shitsburg SOOOOO much better than the D or Philly? I just don’t see how a giant steel mill is nicer than anything Detroit or Philly could possibly offer. Enjoy your shit hole, it’s just as dirty as mine. Get over yourselves. How many people say “hey I wanna take the family on a nice vacation to Pittsburg?” Never heard that come out of someones mouth even on TV or in the movies. Same goes for Detroit. So please stfu about how all other cities are so much more shitty than Pitt. It just makes you look like morons.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 07/03/12 at 01:02 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMMM Steel Mills ??? have you EVER been to Pittsburgh ? I THINK NOT

Posted by Evilpens on 07/03/12 at 01:10 PM ET

Posted by FlyersFan on 07/03/12 at 09:52 AM ET

Even though Ryan’s probably cheaper, they’d be wise to go for Rick Nash. It was obvious how much chemistry giroux had with Jagr and Nash is, essentially, a poor man’s version of JJ, except not old. Ryan can’t really set up on his forehand on the opposite side of Giroux because he’s right-handed and he might even be slower than Jagr is at 40. Could be my imagination, but I don’t see their games meshing that well. Really, it’s the Islanders who should be moving Heaven and Earth to get Ryan opposite Tavares, imo.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the Big House,January1,2013. on 07/03/12 at 11:02 AM ET

Strange, I could have sworn it’s not 1972 anymore.

Posted by larry from pitt on 07/03/12 at 02:48 PM ET

Sam Donellon is one of the best general sports writers in philly. he one of the writers who doesnt drink the kool-aid from the teams. Pittsburgh is a dump.  the only nice about the city is the pnc park.

Posted by FlyersFan on 07/03/12 at 04:30 PM ET

Yep—typical Pittsburgh fans…. they think the sports world revolves around them.  I’ll echo the comments of “behind enemy lines”... very true.

Pens fans are SO desperate for someone to pay attention to them.  Or put another way, the Pens fans want a rivalry in the worst way and will stir up trouble just to get noticed. Most of you are like the little obnoxious kid who runs his yap ‘cause he ain’t gettin’ no attention.  Only to be dismissed as a meddling flea.  Face it, no one takes you seriously.  TRUE rivalries like the Flyers v. Rangers will never be topped.  Sorry Sh*ttsburgh, you lose (again).

Cindy is damaged goods, if he’s in the league two years from now I’ll be impressed.  Have fun with that big contract, hopefully that won’t affect (read: bankrupt) your team… see NJ Devils as reference.

In case you have not figured it out, I live in the Philadelphia Area. And for the record Pittsburgh blows a$$.  Always had, always will.  Predictably by now you are thinking about all your Super Bowl Titles, Stanley Cups, Word Series and such, just to throw it in my face.

Well I’ll spot you 50 titles in ALL sports. Let’s transcend sports for a moment and look at the big picture, that is, if your weak minds can conceptualize what I mean,  consider the following:  Philadelphia= Birthplace of Freedom,  Pittsburgh= run down Steel Mill town famous for Black Lung.  Given the choice,  I’ll take Freedom any day…..

And before you accuse me of NOT ever visiting THE Pitt… think again.  My inlaws live off McKnight/ Rte 19 (ooops- there goes that argument… Suck it Evil Pens) and I regrettably visit your nasty city. It sucks The Hills are a lovely place and yes, the town is WAY rundown a$$ clowns.  You can justify that sh*thole of a city you live to make yourself feel better however you like.  Remember, you are just deceiving yourselves.  No wonder you have so much attrition.

So sleep tight, have a great day and remember, everyday, you wake up, live, breathe and ARE the armpit of Pennsylvania.

Posted by Dan from PA on 07/03/12 at 06:50 PM ET