Are You One Of The Four People Who Watches Olympic Hockey?

Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs met with the media yesterday to wrap up the season.

And also had this to say regarding the 2018 Olympics...

via Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe,

The senior Jacobs, when asked about NHL participation in the 2018 Olympics in South Korea, said, “I don’t think it’s going to happen.”...

“When you stop and think about it,” said Jacobs, “should we take those weeks out of our season, turn it off, continue to depend on these players to perform for us when they get back, if they get back, if they come back in good condition?”

Jacobs remains a proponent of the Olympics adding hockey to the Summer Games menu, an idea dating back even to before the NHL first released its players for the 1998 Games in Nagano, Japan.

“They won’t embrace it,” said Jacobs, referring to the International Olympic Committee. “So it is what it is.”

Jacobs also noted the time difference between North America and Korea, conjecturing that games would air on TV here at 2 or 3 a.m.

“I think the four people that watch it don’t justify it,” he added.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, NHL Talk, Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jeremy+jacobs

Comments

Tripwire32's avatar

games would air on TV here at 2 or 3 a.m

That’s why I have a DVR. This guy must be from the stone ages before VCR’s even. But for real, I know he’s simply parroting the leagues propaganda campaign.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 05/03/17 at 02:28 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I know he’s simply parroting the leagues propaganda campaign.

Posted by SnLO from the binary digisphere on 05/03/17 at 02:28 PM ET

Have to disagree SnLO, he is leading the charge.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/17 at 02:30 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/17 at 02:30 PM ET

Yeah, I guess you’ve a point. Doesn’t change what it is though.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 05/03/17 at 02:39 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Hate to agree with Jacobs… a lot. But I have to agree with him here. I won’t watch these games if they’re played. Yes, I have a DVR, but it’s live sports, half the fun is living it while it happens. It loses luster watching it after it happened.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/03/17 at 02:43 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Doesn’t NBC tape delay everything, anyway?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/03/17 at 02:50 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

It loses luster watching it after it happened.

I agree. When it comes to games I want to see live, but can’t for whatever reason, I go into a media blackout until I can watch the recording. That way I don’t lose the suspense of an undetermined outcome. I am successful most of the time. Admittedly, there are times I catch a score by accident. At that point I sometimes delete the recording without watching it; depending on the result.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 05/03/17 at 02:55 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Look, regardless of what Jacobs and the midget say, if the IOC is ponying up the dough…..they will go.

I could care less if they go or not.

I just get tired of the league’s usual suspects droning on and on and on….

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/03/17 at 03:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/03/17 at 02:43 PM ET

Me too man, I hate, hate, HATE to agree with Jacobs on anything because man is he a piece of s^&*....  but games being played on the other side of the world… those are at ridiculous North American times to try and watch.  So many simply won’t watch.

Doesn’t NBC tape delay everything, anyway?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/03/17 at 02:50 PM ET

That’s actually contributing to the problem, to be honest.  Tape-delayed games don’t exactly get great ratings for NBC, because we live in a world where someone scores as you can an instant alert on your mobile phone.  This isn’t 1980.

In many ways, those games are no-win propositions for NBC.  Tape-delay them, and lose the viewers who only will watch if live because it loses something for them otherwise, or air them live and lose the viewers that have to, I dunno’, actually *sleep* to be able to function.

It might actually be in NBC’s best interests in this case if the NHLers *didn’t* participate, because you might get more of an audience willing to then stomach a tape-delay, to be honest, because the stakes are a bit lower.

Posted by Primis on 05/03/17 at 03:26 PM ET

I only watch games live. Since I cut the cord I now also only watch if it is on over-the-air network, although I do watch some NHL games at a sports bar. But I wouldn’t do that for Olympic hockey regardless whether NHL players go or not..So no I am not one of the four.

Posted by Puckbubba on 05/03/17 at 03:27 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I get the time difference and yes I watched most of the games live from Russia.

Will be interesting to see if the NHL uses the same time excuse when it comes to China.  S. Korea is 13 hours ahead of ET, China is 12.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/17 at 03:32 PM ET

Chet's avatar

It’s Olympic hockey. He’s an idiot.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 05/03/17 at 03:43 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Yes, I watch all the Olympic hockey I can.  With the Russian games that meant getting up a little earlier, if I remember right (may have been World Championships or Juniors, can’t remember).

Tape delay…I don’t care.  I’ll watch Sweden on a tape delay.  But if US is playing for a medal, I’ll stay up or get up to watch it live.

I’d rather see the NHL continue on with it’s schedule rather than take a two week break and cram all the games in.  But ultimately I’d rather see each team decide how to handle this.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/03/17 at 05:07 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Certain countries are worth watching at a decent hour of the day, a lot of countries aren’t worth watching anytime.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/03/17 at 08:05 PM ET