Apparel And Equipment Deal For A 15 Year-Old?

from Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal at The Sporting News,

Reebok’s CCM Hockey brand is close to signing a multiyear head-to-toe apparel and equipment endorsement deal with 15-year-old hockey phenom Connor McDavid, the No. 1 pick of the Ontario Hockey League.

If the deal is completed, as expected, it would be the most significant deal Reebok has signed with a young hockey player since 2005, when it signed Sidney Crosby, 17 years old at the time and now an NHL star, to a five-year deal. McDavid would be the youngest hockey player to endorse Reebok.

Glen Thornborough, Reebok CCM vice president of global marketing, confirmed that he was in discussions with McDavid, his family and Bobby Orr, the NHL hall of famer and founder of the Orr Hockey Group, which represents McDavid.

continued

Filed in: Hockey Equipment, Non-NHL Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: connor+mcdavid, reebok

Comments

Hank1974's avatar

Haha, I find it a bit ridiculous myself, but doesn’t this sort of thing happen all the time in Europe over soccer..er, futball, players?

I’m actually shocked this hasn’t happened yet with a young basketball or football phenom.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/12 at 02:05 PM ET

kobe bryant got a deal in High School didn’t he?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/10/12 at 02:07 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

obe bryant got a deal in High School didn’t he?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t.
I think the only reason we don’t see more of that is because of NCAA violation rules.
But back in the day, when guys could make the jump straight from higshcool, I’m guessing there were more.
Lebron got one too, didn’t he?

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/12 at 02:09 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I don’t remember any endorsement deals (young players usually get their equipment from the teams), but Messi went to Spain when he was 13, and I remember Neymar being harrassed by Man Utd when he was 11.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 12/10/12 at 03:16 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

A bit off-topic, but this reminded me of an awesome article in an issue of ESPN’s magazine.
It was all about some Dutch school that signs kids and gives them free rides for education but mainly to develop them as soccer players.
When they’ve reached their peak, the school sells the players to rich European Football clubs.

At the end of the article, one of the school’s chief scouts takes the writer for a trip to scout some really great prospect.
The scout was going on and on about this prospects skills and potential and how badly he wanted to sign him.
When they arrive at the field to watch this prospect play, the writer is flabbergasted when he sees a bunch of 5-year-olds taking the field, hahaha!

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/10/12 at 03:22 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

well.. the scout WAS Dutch, right?  Not like he couldn’t see that train coming down the tracks.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/10/12 at 03:56 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Lebron’s from my hometown. He had a line on deals, but no actual endorsements (that would violate the OHSAA rules).

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/10/12 at 04:10 PM ET