Anyone Want Mats Zuccarello?

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mats+zuccarello

Comments

Yes, I do. How’s about swapping Pulkkinen for him, assuming he can be resigned?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/28/15 at 12:17 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

That might be the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. Christ.

Posted by PDXWing on 02/28/15 at 12:58 PM ET

From what angle? The Rangers accepting it? Or that it would be overpayment by Detroit?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/28/15 at 12:59 PM ET

I really hope you guys are not thinking Pulkkinen for Zuccarello is overypayment by Detroit. Even if you don’t agree with the deal, it’s not even remotely ridiculous. Zuccarello has already had a 59-point season (last year) and had a good playoff performance. He’s a really good player.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/28/15 at 01:09 PM ET

Temo's avatar

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/28/15 at 12:09 PM ET

He might have performed well last year but not so much this year.  Pulkkinen isn’t worth sacrificing in my opinion.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 02/28/15 at 01:26 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

Yeah, Vito, I was a dick in my original post, but I just don’t think it’s a good trade. It may not look too bad at this second, since the Hobbit is farther along in his career, but we really don’t know what Pulk’s ceiling is, and if past performance is a good predictor, it is likely higher than 59 points. I don’t think that will happen this season or next, but fairly soon. In the meantime, we’re going to expect 30+ points from him at a very low (relatively) cap hit.

Posted by PDXWing on 02/28/15 at 01:45 PM ET

Vito is not a Red Wing, those posts are from Buffalo.  Anyways, Zucc is really small and if I was him I’d happily resign with the team that knows and loves me.  Only a small Gretsky stays in this league.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 02/28/15 at 01:54 PM ET

I don’t have any interest in Zuccarello but considering that most people around here think that it’s fuc*ing blasphemy to even CONSIDER moving a young player/prospect for a proven NHL’er…..

but we really don’t know what Pulk’s ceiling is

Exactly. WE DON’T KNOW. If a player were available who we DID KNOW could perform and help the team why not at least entertain the idea? Maybe Pulkkinen maxes out as a 14-15 goal guy. Or maybe he becomes a perennial 30 goal scorer. Or maybe he blows his knee out this afternoon and never plays again.

and if past performance is a good predictor, it is likely higher than 59 points

What in hell are you talking about? He’s played 14 career games and has 2 points. That indicates to you that he’s destined to become a 60+ point per year player in the NHL?

Posted by godblender on 02/28/15 at 02:02 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Vito, that’s an insane suggestion. Zuccarello is due for a new contract around 5 mil per after the season,  no way in hell Det ever gives up years of cheap control of pulky for that.

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 02/28/15 at 02:06 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I do think that the sometimes mentioned even-up trade to Toronto for Tyler Bozak is more than a possibility.  It solves two problems for two teams.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 02/28/15 at 02:12 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Doc your post is a bit perplexing… How does trading away their most nhl ready scoring prospect for an over priced C they dont need make sense for Det?

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 02/28/15 at 02:25 PM ET

I don’t see Zuccarello getting $5M per year with the year he’s having. Just not the track record needed to get that. Maybe some idiot team will pay but we’ll see.

And the AHL is great but scoring in the AHL doesn’t mean scoring in the NHL. Don MacLean used to rip up the AHL, Cory Emmerton scored regularly at the AHL level, and Riley Sheahan didn’t score much there but does in the NHL. It’s a different league.

The contract part is a reasonable counter and I agree that it makes a big difference. But let me just say - if Pulkkinen puts up 60 points per year - or in the neighborhood - that would be a HUGE success. We’re still not sure if Tatar or Nyquist will be able to do it. Zuccarello has already done it and on a Stanley Cup team, not Carolina or Arizona where he can pad his stats with meaningless goals and not playing anywhere on his side of the red line.

Zuccarello is a good player. If Pulkkinen can score as much as Zuccarello already has, that would be a huge success for Teemu.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/28/15 at 03:11 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Blackhawks I could see trading for the Norwegian Hobbit since Kane is done for season and playoffs.

We don’t need another little guy on our team. The Red Wings need to get bigger and tougher for playoff run.

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 02/28/15 at 04:02 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

I don’t have any interest in Zuccarello

Me either.

But you could say that about any prospect. We don’t know that Mantha or Larkin turns into anything but a 14-15 goal guy. We judge based on past performance and use our critical thinking skills. I’m open for a trade and don’t think Pulk is untouchable, but not for the Hobbit. I don’t know who you’re mad at, but it ain’t me because we’re not disagreeing.

No, I was using his larger body of AHL experience as the predictor, where he’s dominating the league in scoring. Not a guarantee of success in the NHL, but a good sign, no?

Posted by PDXWing on 02/28/15 at 05:26 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I’d take Zuccarello. But I wouldn’t overpay for him.

The first post proposal (Pulu) is a huge overpayment.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/28/15 at 06:06 PM ET