Anton Stralman And Brian Boyle On Their Future

from Brett Cyrgalis of the New York Post,

Boyle has made it clear he is looking for a bigger offensive role, although he was proud of what he did this season as a member of the fourth line.

“I was on the fourth line, and I didn’t really like it, but it wasn’t the fourth line I was used to,” said Boyle, who had three postseason goals (one empty-netter) after six in the regular season. “We had three lines that could score on any shift — it was different, it was just different.”

After saying how much he loves the Rangers and the opportunity they gave him, Boyle relayed the message sent to him from coach Alain Vigneault.

“I know what my role would be coming back here,” said Boyle, likely looking for a two- or three-year deal in the range of $3 million to $4 million per. “In the playoffs and on a team that’s going to win in May and June, it’s an important role. But everybody wants to score more goals.”

Stralman was a top-four defenseman for the past two seasons, and is likely looking at an open-market value between $4 million to $5 million per on at least a three-year deal, if not longer.

“The only thing in my mind really is security for me and my family,” Stralman said. “We’ve been moving a lot — four teams in seven years. All we’re really looking for is stability, to stay in one place. This is obviously where we want. I’d like to stay. I hope it can happen. We’ll see.”

more on the Rangers...

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: anton+stralman, brian+boyle

Comments

Hank1974's avatar

Unbelievable! $3M to $4M per year???
For a guy who’s scored less than 20 goals over his last 200 games?

I know he had 21 goals 4 seasons ago, but looking at his previous work, that is more of an albatross than a sign of things to come.

But some idiot out there (Snow?) will gladly throw at least $3M at him.
Meanwhile, guys with actual skill, but who have the audacity not being 6’6” are playing in the KHL because the NHL is Size Queen.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/17/14 at 09:36 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Boyle and Stralman are not worth what they are asking.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 06/17/14 at 09:39 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Seems a little steep for Stralman but I think he’s underrated—if he comes in right at $4 million he’d be a nice fit for the Wings given their needs, and term wouldn’t be too scary for a player like him… again, provided that cap number stays at $4 million or even a bit lower.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/17/14 at 10:40 AM ET

A decent D-man in this years UFA will get paid or I should say over-paid. Especially a 27 year old who shoots right.

Posted by George0211 on 06/17/14 at 10:56 AM ET

Stralman is worth it. If Boyle gets that kind of money, then I will shut up about Franzen for good.

Posted by weswolverine on 06/17/14 at 12:03 PM ET

Primis's avatar

If Boyle wasn’t so big, he wouldn’t even be in the NHL.  Things like this are sometimes why I wonder if adopting international rink size might not be all bad.  A guy like Boyle would have no place.

Posted by Primis on 06/17/14 at 01:29 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I think Stralman would be a perfect fit in Detroit..But I think 4 million could be just a little bit too much..but what a heck,,Go for it..  Let’s Go Red Wings !!!  tongue wink

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/17/14 at 01:47 PM ET