Another NHL Star Goes Down, This Time It Is Eric Staal

Matt Niskanen with the hit on Staal last night.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Carolina Hurricanes, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eric+staal

Comments

maybe its the angle, but that really did not look like a headshot.

Posted by toaster56 on 02/26/11 at 01:30 PM ET

wolverine's avatar

You’re right toaster56, not a headshot at all.  Staal is 15 feet in front of the net, prime real estate, and has his head buried so he can bury a shot.  I’m getting tired of guys getting hit - going down - leaving the game - and people assuming it was a headshot.  If Niskanen gets suspended, they should do away with hitting in the NHL.

Posted by wolverine on 02/26/11 at 01:34 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Niskanen was focused on another Cane & he & Staal hit like 2 ships in the Night !

Posted by Evilpens on 02/26/11 at 01:35 PM ET

David Lee's avatar

I don’t have any problem with that hit.  NIskanen was doing his job.  The injury is unfortunate, but there’s nothing wrong with the hit.
This is, simply, something that happened.

Posted by David Lee from Greensboro, NC on 02/26/11 at 01:56 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I agree it was just a hit that happened, but is this one of those hits that doesn’t happen if there is a ban on head shots?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/26/11 at 01:58 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

I wonder what people would be saying if it was Cooke…

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/26/11 at 01:59 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Kinda looks like hit Eric gave his brother Marc a few games earlier, don’t it?  High chest, but not a head shot?  The only difference is Marc got up like a man and Eric looked to try and fake an injury and draw a penalty after he got knocked down, by picking his head up, looking around, then putting his head back down…but that’s just me.

The more pressing matter is why are the Canes still wearing the All Star Game patch on their jersey’s?

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 02/26/11 at 02:07 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 02/26/11 at 10:35 AM ET

Posted by Primis on 02/26/11 at 02:17 PM ET

Paul: Does this hit happen if headshots are illegal? Maybe not, as players would be much more cautious. That said, the announcers in this video are absolutely wrong: Even if ALL hits to the head were illegal in the NHL (as they are in the OHL), this would still be a legal hit. Did Niskanen hit Staal in the head? No. Did the force of his hit cause Staal’s head to snap back and indirectly cause a head injury? Looks like it. But that doesn’t make it a head shot, in the NHL or the OHL.

Posted by toaster56 on 02/26/11 at 02:28 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Niskanen got his hands up, and maybe you give him 2 for roughing or cross checking, but it looked somewhat reactionary. Like he wasn’t fully ready to make the hit.

The results suck, but it’s one of those things that unfortunately just happens some times. Even using OHL rules, that’s still just 2-minutes.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/26/11 at 02:31 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/26/11 at 10:58 AM ET

No Paul, I don’t think it is.  It was NOT a lack of respect play.. and I kind of agree with Scott.. at least I’m leaning towards the theory Staal was looking for a penalty and embellished the “injury”  It took him 30 feet to fall down… dude slid on his hands and knees until he was about stopped then fell onto his stomach… then takes a quick peak to see if he got it.. see he didn’t then really has to sell it to not look like a little bitch.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/26/11 at 02:32 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I agree I don’t know that it was a headshot, but don’t go being ridiculous with your defense.  They didn’t “accidentally” collide because Niskanen got his hands and arms up.  If it’d be completely accidental, they’d have remained down…   He got his hands up at the last second I agree, But it was more reactionary.

Hey I am a fan of The Pens who Most likely have lost Sid for the season because of Incidental SUCKY Hits ! So I sympathize with Cane Fans1 But it was Accidental.

Posted by Evilpens on 02/26/11 at 02:51 PM ET

Clean hit, bad result.  Was it necessary to hit a guy in a vulnerable position?  No.  But I agree that it was more of a reactionary hit.

Maybe now Marc can give Eric a call… “Hey Eric, still think it wasn’t a scummy hit you put on my in a vulnerable position?  Get well soon…”

Posted by pkkieffer on 02/26/11 at 02:51 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Maurice said this morning he is pretty sure Staal does not have a concussion.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/26/11 at 02:53 PM ET

wolverine's avatar

“Clean hit, bad result.  Was it necessary to hit a guy in a vulnerable position?”
Necessary?  If you want to skate through my kitchen with your head down, oblivious to a hit, and try to score a goal, that is what you get.

Posted by wolverine on 02/26/11 at 03:21 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

TSNBobMcKenzie: No suspension or fine for Matt Niskanen (PIT) hit on CAR’s Eric Staal. #Pens

Posted by Evilpens on 02/26/11 at 03:47 PM ET