Another day, another checking to the head penalty

You know your team's becoming familiar with the NHL's Department of Player Safety when it receives an, "It's okay, guys" Tweet:

With James Neal enjoying a 5-game suspension and a remorseful Deryk Engelland set to visit Sheriff Shanny and crew on Wednesday (and there is a department of player safety) to discuss his hit on Justin Abdelkader, Pro Hockey Talk's Cam Tucker notes that Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Robert Bortuzzo did this to Jerry D'Amigo, and received a 2-minute "check to the head" penalty as a result:

D'Amigo was fine and so was Bortuzzo, who, as PHT's Tucker noted, had a very busy game.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pittsburgh+penguins, robert+bortuzzo, toronto+maple+leafs

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Did Bortuzzo even move on that play?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/17/13 at 02:16 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I didn’t see Bortuzzo move.until after the collision. Glad D’Amigo is okay.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/17/13 at 03:03 AM ET

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a forward skate face first into a stationary defenseman until tonight.

Posted by larry on 12/17/13 at 04:13 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by larry

I’ve been telling players started going headfirst into plays, trying to draw penalties, but nobody believes me…  lol

Posted by Zqto on 12/17/13 at 07:25 AM ET

but nobody believes me…

There’s no way D’Amigo ran into Bortuzzo’s shoulder on purpose.

Posted by Garth on 12/17/13 at 09:48 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

on purpose

This should be abolished from NHL’s vocabulary
As I argumented in another post, players should be responsible for their body as much as they are for their sticks.
It should not matter if it’s on purpose or not, when you give another player a concussion, hitting him in the head

A player headbutting other players shoulder’s, is a different case entirely, though

Posted by Zqto on 12/17/13 at 10:09 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Btw, whats your point on “There’s no way D’Amigo ran into Bortuzzo’s shoulder on purpose.”

You gonna tell me he didnt see a guy that towers him shoulder to head, standing still on the blue line? I mean, he was going STRAIGHT on his direction…
I didnt know blind people could play in the NHL

Posted by Zqto on 12/17/13 at 10:11 AM ET

You gonna tell me he didnt see a guy that towers him shoulder to head

No, I’m not GOING to say it and i DIDN’T say it.  You suggested he ran into Bortuzzo’s shoulder with his head on purpose, I said he didn’t.

What you’re suggesting is that, while stretching to attempt to retrieve the puck he thought “hey, if I endanger my life and livelihood, potentially ending my career and ruining the rest of my days on this earth because of migraines and depression, maybe I can draw a two minute penalty”.

I disagreed.

Posted by Garth on 12/17/13 at 10:57 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Garth, I understand its weird… But I have seen weirder out there, and the major problem is, what other option is there?
What else could be going through his head, on that play?
I can’t think of any other explanation.. It boggles my mind, but I just cannot think of a plausible alternative for what D’Amigo might have been thinking on that situation

Posted by Zqto on 12/17/13 at 12:12 PM ET

what other option is there?
What else could be going through his head, on that play?

Nothing, which is the same thing going through most players’ heads when they throw a reckless hit.  That’s the point.  He’s a young guy, new to the NHL (seven games total) who was reaching for the puck and not paying attention to his surroundings.

There’s no intent on either side of the collision.

Posted by Garth on 12/17/13 at 12:51 PM ET

My guess is the guy is just inexperienced or stupid or something. I doubt he skated face first into a big defenseman’s shoulder to buy a call.

Posted by larry on 12/17/13 at 02:45 PM ET