Another Concussion For Sidney Crosby

added 1:20pm,

added 12:50pm, Yes old news, followed an old tweet from the Penguins, sorry for the issue.

via the Pittsburgh Penguins,

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby has been diagnosed with a concussion, it was announced by Executive Vice President and General Manager Jim Rutherford.

Crosby sat out Saturday's preseason game vs. Columbus because he was not feeling well, and missed practice today to undergo concussion testing.

Crosby's status will be updated when more information is available. The Penguins open the regular season Thursday night against Washington at PPG Paints Arena.

Below, Nick Kypreos talks about the hit with multiple angles of it...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

this article is from the beginning of the year.  It’s 2017.

Posted by wingsrul91 on 05/02/17 at 12:47 PM ET

Primis's avatar

It got the guys on Hockey Central too.  They read it on-air as if it were new news.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/17 at 01:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Yep, one of the NHL beat writers RTd the Pens link, too bad it was old.

I should have checked the date and did not, my fault.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 01:04 PM ET

No prob, Paul.  We still love you…

Posted by wingsrul91 on 05/02/17 at 01:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks W91, honest mistake, I move on.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 01:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added to the top of the post, Crosby does have a concussion per the Penguins, no mistake this time.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 01:22 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Sheary also has a concussion per Sullivan.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 01:23 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

PK, we’ll just look at it this way: you were one of the first to break the news wink

I don’t wish a concussion on anyone.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/02/17 at 01:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Or TK as the person with 20 followers tweeted to me...

Because someone as small as you is going to break news like this. stop trying so hard and you wouldn’t have to be doing twice the work.

Whatever that means.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 01:40 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Something tells me you can just leave this article up old or not. I think the outcome will be the same. He looked like someone who had his bell rung when they got him up. Another crack in the eggshell.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/02/17 at 01:47 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I think Crosby could have been concussed by one of Ovi’s high slashes to Crosby’s head. Niskanens hit was probably after Crosby was dazed/ concussed by Ovi. Most of the damage was caused by Ovi IMO

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 05/02/17 at 01:49 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Whatever that means.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/17 at 01:40 PM ET

LOL, someone needs to discover what “breaking” news is.  Reposting or retweeting what someone else has done is not an attempt to “break” news.

I believe ESPN also was victim to the initial tweet.  Maybe if they had a hockey staff still, they could have caught it.

I think it’s time we started talking again about Sid hanging em’ up.  Which will bring howls from some corners I’m sure, but whatever.  There’s a scary track record there.

He’s more and more susceptible to concussions after every single one.  Remember that really bad one he had that hung on with symptoms that wouldn’t go away?  It gets so much worse than that still.  I don’t know that even the people that genuinely hate Crosby the person want to wish that on him.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/17 at 02:18 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Was about to say the same. It’s not like he needs to chase rings or anything else, and he’s nearing the point his production would start to go down a little bit.

We’re seeing this happen a lot in the NFL recently, I wonder when NHL players will start retiring early instead of waiting for something bad to happen.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/02/17 at 02:24 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

That absolutely sucks, and it could mean the end of his career, and that’s a shame for a generation of hockey fans who won’t get to see this talent on the ice, whether you come to boo him or cheer him. I don’t like him, but I hope this is minor, he gets back on the ice, and never deals with this again.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/02/17 at 02:28 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Man, wow, just reading this brings up bad emotions for me, the conversations I’ve had with young athletes, watching what they were going through, what family’s were going through, it’s sad, I would never wish that on my worst enemy, it’s an injury that you can’t just rehab, and don’t know when or if the symptoms might end. Obviously there’s worse, but this is becoming too frequent.

If I could soapbox for a second, I think the sport, and that includes youth, has got to remove the armor from the shoulders and elbows IMO, make a violent collusion impactful to both parties. Lead with a shoulder, you might pop yours, and the impact to the hittee is skin muscle and bone not a solid hard shell.  I know that is not a cure all, but I think that would go a long way.

This guy I’ve coached with talks about the affect of modern technology not letting the brain rest and heal, and whether all of that exaggerates or prolongs the injury.  Life nowadays, even for even my crusty arse, is a constant face full of internet, TV and Iphone almost every second I’m awake aside from driving or playing/coaching.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/02/17 at 02:36 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 05/02/17 at 01:49 PM ET

Unless Crosby’s brains are in his arm, I think it was most likely his collision with Niskanen that ls the culprit here.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 05/02/17 at 03:12 PM ET

While I don’t like Crosby, there’s no denying that he’s a generational talent and it’s sad to see it go this way.

You gotta wonder if he’s going to start to get the more severe symptoms of post-concussion syndrome if he keeps playing.  It’s not like it hasn’t taken him out before

Posted by neffernin on 05/02/17 at 03:23 PM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Watch the replay again, Hoot. Ovi’s stick catches Crosby in the head and it looks like it would hurt the way it whips in.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 05/02/17 at 03:23 PM ET

He was owning this season… How about Niskanen not actually trying to cross check him in the phucking head? Really? Half the readers on here were saying yesterday what a pu$$y crosby was after the “normal” check by Niskanen. Do you really think if that was Pavel that you guys would be saying, “normal AF guys! Normal check! Happens every day!”... I don’t think so, that was a cross check to the head and the only way WSH wins this series is because Niskanen and (if you want - Ovechkin) concussed him. Even that PoS Melrose said it seemed legal. GTFO

Posted by Pasha1277 on 05/02/17 at 03:29 PM ET

Look at these posts from yesterday…

I normally try not to stir up $hit and I hardly EVER post something rude/mean but common guys… Anyone watching that play that has even a LICK of hockey sense KNOWS that Niskanen cross checked him in the head. Look at all those homers.

If that was anyone other than Bettman’s pet; no way that gets called as a game misconduct.
Posted by arcane_caf from NoVa - Outside D.C. on 05/01/17 at 08:10 PM ET

Shouldn’t even be two minutes. How is it a high stick if it was well below his shoulders?
Posted by Thag from DC on 05/01/17 at 08:25 PM ET

2 minute penalty for sure, perhaps 4.  5 and a game is a joke and only happens because it’s 87 in a Pittsburgh jersey on the receiving end.  Keep NHLing, NHL.
Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/01/17 at 10:07 PM ET

Never called if that’s not Cindy.
Posted by SlimChance on 05/02/17 at 12:33 AM ET

Posted by Pasha1277 on 05/02/17 at 03:35 PM ET

This is nothing more then a accident as far as the head shot. Ovie should have got 2 for slashing, maybe 2 for high sticking. He didn’t try and hit him in the head. Niskanen didn’t try to cross check him either. He was protecting himself and bracing himself for impact so he didn’t get taken out either. It happened quick, and was a reaction to the action that was coming at him. It’s nothing more then that and I don’t even think Niskanen should been penalized got it. 2 for roughing maybe, but 5 and a game was too much. I don’t like Crosby, but to see another concussion is bad news and is headed towards where Franzen is. Anybody calling for ovie or niskanen to be suspended is dumb. Crosby shoulda been suspended for the Mehot slash. Maybe this is a little Karma, albeit a fd up knee or facial injury would have been better then another concussion

Posted by TB1015 on 05/02/17 at 04:11 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Winning.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/02/17 at 04:24 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 05/02/17 at 01:49 PM ET
Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 05/02/17 at 03:23 PM ET

Ovi’s stick didn’t cause a concussion.

A concussion is when impact forces the brain to hit the inside of the skull and bruises, that would be one hellva direct head chop for there to be that much force to bounce Crosby’s egg inside his shell, and as many pointed out, the initial whack was to the arm.

The concussion, without a doubt, is him eating Niskanen as he was going down.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 05/02/17 at 03:35 PM ET

I agree with you that he cross checked him in the head, but it was of the variety of careless use of the stick, and warranted a 2 or 4 minute penalty, there was no intent there, not at that speed, not when crosby tumbled into him.  If I T-Bone a car that runs a stop sign, its not my fault, unfortunate incident.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/02/17 at 04:32 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’ve been in the same mindset for a little while, particularly watching the NFL.  I think of Rugby - good on those guys, I’d never do it, but they aren’t seeing head injuries like NFL and NHL.

Honestly, I love football and I used to watch it 10 hours a day Saturday and 10 hours a day Sunday, but I can’t do it anymore.  Every other hit just pains me to watch.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/02/17 at 04:47 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Maybe he’ll be back in a week, maybe in 5 months.  You never know with this sort of thing.  When I had mine, I was a mess for about 3 weeks, then everything was fine and I felt normal.

About 5 months after my concussion I was looking through a glass floor and got a horrible vertigo spell which took me 3 days to shake - I had NEVER had anything like that before my concussion.

These sorts of injuries just may never fully heal.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/02/17 at 04:49 PM ET

Watching at full speed, what happened is so fluky it’s hard to argue anything other than this IMO.

What’s crazy is that people are going next level and saying anyone who doesn’t see this as a travesty to the sport doesn’t have respect for the game.

Posted by neffernin on 05/02/17 at 04:53 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by neffernin on 05/02/17 at 04:53 PM ET

To me, this shows who has actually played some semblance of decent hockey vs. those who watch it on their Barcalounger and criticize it after watching high res HD replays.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/02/17 at 05:03 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/02/17 at 02:24 PM ET

Y’know, it reminds me of how Johan Franzen always used to get crap from fans for not being “tough” enough, even as opponents slashed on him and hammered him, and gave him headshots.

And in the end, it was those headshots that did him in.

There’s a certain kind of player that this is going to happen to more and more.  The one problem with the top guys in the NFL can make a lot more money per season.  That’s not as true for the NHL, so it takes them more seasons to build up that bank account.  SO I don’t knwo that it’s as do-able in the NHL.  You won’t see so many Calvin Johnsons.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/17 at 05:42 PM ET

What in the hell is that even supposed to mean? So you coach children’s hockey, have “sources” in NHL organizations and have played some semblance of decent hockey. Ask Murray, folks. He knows for sure! Ha.

Hey hey hey hockeytown!

Posted by godblender on 05/02/17 at 06:18 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The ignore feature is amazing.  Those that talk down to literally everyone can then be ignored, and have no audience to talk down to.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/17 at 07:12 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Terrible news!
Losing Crosby is a huge loss for every hockey fan.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/02/17 at 07:41 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Well written. While I have never been a Crosby fan, the hit by Niskanen was Niskanen just bracing himself when Crosby was on top of him. It was an unfortunate accident.  Crosby spun into him over Ovie hit Crosby in the shoulder with his stick. As other posters has stated, a two minutes penalty should have been assessed on Ovie for high sticking. Since it was Crosby, Niskanen received a 5 minute major and game misconduct penalty. No surprise. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 05/02/17 at 08:24 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Terrible news!
Losing Crosby is a huge loss for every hockey fan.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/02/17 at 07:41 PM ET

wow, you’re a serious piece of work

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/02/17 at 09:01 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

And in the end, it was those headshots that did him in.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/17 at 05:42 PM ET

I don’t remember too many folks saying Franzen was never tough enough…

I do remember quite a few folks, yourself (and hell, myself) included, bemoaning him floating or taking games off.

Be it from concussions or effects of them, we’ll never know.

That said…

How the hell did players like Holmstrom, Ciccarelli…other net-front guys that I’m too lazy to look up…survive as long as they did in the era they played in without having mush for brains?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/02/17 at 10:27 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/02/17 at 07:12 PM ET

I can’t believe so many others haven’t figured this out yet. Whether it’s the “empty suit” or H&H, just use the Ignore feature and they insantly become as irrelevant on KK as they probably are in real life.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/17 at 12:55 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

The only thing I will bemoan about this situation is the non-stop Crosby Watch 2.0 that the media will undertake.

Sucks for him but shit happens in this game and this game is bigger than one player.

Go Caps.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/03/17 at 03:15 PM ET