Andri Denyskin Should Pay For His Actions

Watch the incident below.

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

The incident happened in the Ukrainian League and Jalen Smereck was the player who was targeted.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/27/21 at 08:14 AM ET

Paul's avatar

from Chris Bumbaca of USA TODAY,

A Black American hockey player was subjected to a racist act in the Ukrainian Hockey League on Sunday.

HC Kremenchuk forward Andrei Deniskin mimed the peeling and eating of a banana in the direction of Jalen Smereck, a former Arizona Coyotes prospect who plays for HC Donbass.

Deniskin was ejected from the game and faces further discipline from the league, pending a league investigation. Deniskin apologized for his actions via social media, but the post has apparently since been deleted. According to ESPN, Deniskin wrote on Instagram that his actions were “a gesture that someone can consider as an insult in race.”

HC Donbass said the organization was “outraged” by Deniskin’s behavior, adding “racism has no place in sports.”

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/27/21 at 08:27 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Interestingly, yesterday I was actually driving and thinking about how it had been a while since we saw a banana reference such as this. I was wondering how the targeted players felt, wondering if things have gotten better.

But then this happens. It takes one bad egg to spoil the bunch, and in this case it feels like we’re going backwards yet again.

Shameful, stupid, worthless gesture that exposes someone’s true colors. He can stay in Ukraine.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/27/21 at 08:52 AM ET

awould's avatar

Someone should ask him what he specifically meant by it then, just to hear whatever BS he comes up with to explain how mimicking eating a banana makes any sense in any context but being a racist ahole.

Posted by awould on 09/27/21 at 09:26 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Insane you still see this kind of garbage. No excuse for that crap.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 09/27/21 at 09:57 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

So I know hockey is not the most popular sport, but let’s say Andri Denyskin was from the good old US ofA, say Corn Country Iowa, you think this might be getting just a touch more press coverage?
I mean, I’ve seen some stories, some of late, where a narrative has spun completely out of nothing, or been buried.

This however,  is the polar opposite of nothing.  I mean, there’s no mistaking what this guy had in mind, and this isn’t like it was unearthed from an old game tape from the 80s, or someone’s year book, it’s 2021, guy is in his 20’s, I can’t believe I just watched that in HD on a tweet, unreal.

Poke around, this is not being covered much at all, maybe it hasn’t hit the rounds yet and will be, but I doubt it.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 09/27/21 at 02:40 PM ET

awould's avatar

You’re right. Probably because it happened in the Ukraine, is my guess. If it were the Swedish league or even the KHL, probably would get more attention. This is like the backwater of pro hockey, from my limited perspective. Doesn’t excuse it, of course.

Posted by awould on 09/27/21 at 03:05 PM ET