Andrew Shaw may have been caught uttering a slur

From the Chicago Tribune's Chris Kuc:

Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw could face discipline from the NHL for the possible use of a homophobic slur during Game 4 of the Western Conference quarterfinals Tuesday night at the United Center.

After being assessed an interference penalty late in the Blues’ 4-3 victory, Shaw was yelling at officials while seated in the penalty box and video of the incident appeared to show him using a homophobic slur.

After the game, Shaw was asked if he had used a slur.

“I mean, emotions are high, I really don’t know what’s said,” Shaw said. “I was obviously upset with the call being that late in the game (as) it doesn’t give us a chance to tie it up.”

When asked again if he used the slur, Shaw replied: “Like I just said, I can repeat myself for you. Emotions were high. I don’t know what was said. Obviously, I was upset with the call. It was late in the game like that. I wasn’t happy with the call.”

Continued, and this happened after Shaw's penalty was over:

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: andrew+shaw, chicago+blackhawks, st.+louis+blues

Comments

Not a slur!!!

Posted by SlimChance on 04/20/16 at 06:31 AM ET

Gasp! How dare he?! That was so insensitive!!! Quick - send him to the “reeducation camp”!

Posted by laszlo on 04/20/16 at 07:07 AM ET

yreland's avatar

Not “may have been caught uttering”, pretty obvious he was caught saying it many times.
@slimchance, you use that word in the workplace? Public? Klan meetings?

Posted by yreland from Hockey's black hole South Carolina on 04/20/16 at 07:13 AM ET

Trash talk is an organic part of hockey. Utterance of one or two isolated words is still OK in my books. I would punish him only if there was a good reason to think his opponent is indeed a gay or if he used that kind of slur frequently, on a regular basis.

Posted by tutoka from Leelanau Peninsula on 04/20/16 at 07:15 AM ET

People need to get over themselves… this isn’t even news.

@slimchance, you use that word in the workplace? Public? Klan meetings?

@yreland, do you punch people at your workplace?  Slam a stick into their groin?  Crosscheck a guy if he gets too close to the water cooler?  Do you spit on the floor at your workplace?  Get the hell out of here with that shit!

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/20/16 at 07:32 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Who knew KK was the home of the Westboro Baptist Hockey Appreciation Club?

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 04/20/16 at 08:15 AM ET

Wow. Accusing me of being a Klan member because I don’t freak out at name calling? You must be part of the “tolerant” left.

+1 for cross checking at the water cooler!

Posted by SlimChance on 04/20/16 at 08:17 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

LOL

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/20/16 at 08:36 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

People need to get over themselves… this isn’t even news.

Exactly.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 04/20/16 at 09:02 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/20/16 at 09:14 AM ET

yreland's avatar

I do happen to spit on the floor at work, but no cross checks at the water cooler cause there is never anyone around it.  I’ve been called many things before, but I draw the line at being called “tolerant”.

Posted by yreland from Hockey's black hole South Carolina on 04/20/16 at 09:27 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The pussification of our society in general, case in point. I’m not endorsing what was said or done, but this just is not news worthy.
Maybe the DPS will start to hand out fines and suspensions for bullying. SMFH.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/20/16 at 09:30 AM ET

You guys would be okay with a player deploying the n-word, then? Just trash talk that’s part of hockey? Isolated incidents would be fine, as long as they don’t use it a lot or only use it against white players? If not, well, I don’t see how this situation is fundamentally any different.

I get that games get emotional and players say things to each other that aren’t always nice, and to an extent that’s an accepted / tolerated part of life. But I’d like to think that we’ve advanced enough as a society to know that slurs (whether in reference to race, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc.) are just never, never okay, and shrugging it off as “it was emotional, I wasn’t happy with the call” is an utterly weaksauce excuse.

No. 1, it’s about treating other human beings with dignity and respect, full stop. I get that you can’t (and shouldn’t) keep a guy from playing just because he’s an a-hole, but I do think you can (and should) demand a very basic level of decency, which Shaw failed to reach.

No. 2, from a selfish perspective as a fan, I want to see the best athletes make it to the best stage on the planet and succeed. I don’t care what color you are, what god you worship (if any), or what your sexual orientation or gender identity are. But hockey (and many team sports in general) has a real problem with a “culture” that systematically discourages people who are “different” (e.g. not white, not straight) from playing and advancing through the ranks from a very early age. Many who might have “made it” quit long before reaching the pros, during their teenage years, when they may not be able to face the hate and discrimination with the perspective or emotional maturity of an adult. And the players who do stick around face really contemptible, hostile attitudes from opponents, fans, even teammates. When that happens, we all lose.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/20/16 at 09:42 AM ET

The pussification of our society in general, case in point.

This will be the very thing people will be studying when reviewing what caused the great downfall of the United States.  (The pussification, not the Shaw incident… although they are related).

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/20/16 at 09:43 AM ET

This is all offensive.  I need a safe space.

Posted by SlimChance on 04/20/16 at 10:03 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Well, at least we aren’t bitching about the Wings on this thread, which I find refreshing.

News flash. The culture of hockey(or sports in general) does not concern itself with whether or not its participants are nice people on the ice. Nor should it.

And as far as treating your opponent with dignity and respect, I am much more concerned about the lack of these qualities shown by players delivering cheap/unnecessary/ illegal contact in the course of a game, than whether or not these players use “disrespectful” language in the ensuing scrum, after the whistle.

Sheesh.

Posted by dougie on 04/20/16 at 10:09 AM ET

I don’t buy that players stay in the closet because someone utters a slur in a hockey scrum. Today, if you are gay and even slightly famous, you are a rock star. Hell, Jenner killed a guy and still was given The AA Courage Award. I could care less who is gay and who isn’t, but let’s drop the faux outrage drama and get back to real sports news.  This isn’t deadspin.

Posted by SlimChance on 04/20/16 at 10:16 AM ET

*Couldn’t care less

Posted by SlimChance on 04/20/16 at 10:18 AM ET

^This

Players saying mean things to one another is far, far, far below the hits from behind, the blindside headshots, the sticks being swung at faces when it comes to the lack of respect between players that I’m concerned with.

Posted by Garth on 04/20/16 at 10:39 AM ET

Garth, as much as I hate to agree with you I’m afraid you’re right for once wink

Posted by SlimChance on 04/20/16 at 10:42 AM ET

I agree that dangerous plays / hits to the head / lack of concern for the physical safety of your opponent are far worse problems for the game than somebody saying “faggot” in a scrum.

I strongly disagree with the logic of “Because A is a worse problem than B, we shouldn’t do anything about B before A is completely fixed.” These are completely separate issues and we should work to find solutions for both.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/20/16 at 11:16 AM ET

dougie's avatar

A properly fitted ball gag (with air holes to allow for respiration) should do the trick nicely.

I tried saying the word “f!@*t” with my tongue pressed into the bottom of my mouth. Couldn’t manage the “g” or the “f”. It rendered the word completely harmless. Try it, you’ll see.

Problem Solved!

Moving on.

Posted by dougie on 04/20/16 at 11:57 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

What I found funny about this all, when I first heard about it on the radio this morning they were acting like it was a huge deal - like, earth shattering stuff.  So I’m excited to see the video and hear it all.  I watch the video, and the video ends.  And I’m thinking, “where’s the problem?  Did the video cut short?”

This stuff is said countless times throughout a game.  So Shaw has a tantrum and shouts it at the ref, and all of a sudden it’s big huge news?  No.  This isn’t news.  This is an exploitation of things that are said on the ice.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/20/16 at 12:17 PM ET