All Mike Babcock

from Bob Wojnowski of the Detroit News,

Q. Not sure if you’ve noticed, but almost nobody is picking you guys to beat Nashville. I saw on ESPN, 11 of 12 experts took the Predators.

A. This is what I know about the experts — they get paid to make those decisions. But I’m here to tell you, I coach in the league and I have no idea about most of these series. They’re that tight.

Q. I figured a coach might like that motivational aspect. Do you find it strange being an underdog?

A. I just think sometimes that’s reality. We’re playing a real good team. They’ve loaded up, they’re deep and their goalie (Pekka Rinne) is huge.

But we’re deep too. I’m really excited about the fact (Darren) Helm will be available. You have no idea how much better coach I become when you put people in the right places. Without him, we’re not slotted as good.

Q. So, can you calm a nervous Hockeytown? The Wings have overcome a bunch of injuries, but I get the sense people don’t think there’s gonna be a run this year.

A. This is what I’d say to you — going into the summer, (GM) Kenny Holland and I talked a lot, and we didn’t even know if we’d make the playoffs. Then as the year went on, I said this is the best opportunity for any team I’ve coached since ‘09 (when the Wings lost in the Cup finals to the Penguins).

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+babcock

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Kind of goes against what Kenny has said ad nauseum since the New Year.

Is Babs being his usual lying liar self, or are him and Tick Tock truly on seperate pages….or seperate chapters…of the same book?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/11/12 at 04:59 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

So what’s changed between now and then? We’ve had some injuries. But our real team is gonna be starting the playoffs. I’m confident and they’re confident.

Please. Be. True.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/11/12 at 05:16 PM ET

Horseshit, Uncle Mike.  The ‘08 Champs, I felt, were the best prepared Cup winner in your tenureship.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/11/12 at 05:16 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Wow, that part of the interview seems to have struck a nerve with readers…quoted three times already

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/11/12 at 05:17 PM ET

Posted by SYF

I think Babs means from 09 to now, on that quote
As in, best team concerning the period between 09 and 12

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/11/12 at 05:24 PM ET

I think Babs means from 09 to now, on that quote
As in, best team concerning the period between 09 and 12

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 04/11/12 at 04:24 PM ET

Semantics schmantics.  But you’re right, man.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/11/12 at 05:47 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Q. The operative story line is, Nashville is bigger, feistier, hungrier. What about that hunger part?

A. (Smiles). I had a coach who I interviewed last summer and he said, ‘You aren’t as hungry as you used to be.’ He probably wasn’t thinking that when we were rolling (with the 23-game home winning streak). So I disagree with that 100 percent. I think winning leads to winning.

You aren’t as hungry as you used to be.

Wow. Not sure what else to say.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/11/12 at 05:48 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

specialty teams

This bugs the shxt out of me.  Special means “not regular”.
Specialty means “unique, unusual, specific to one person or place….”  Etc.
A few people start saying it, then a few more, then others doubt their version and try to get with the times.  Fvcking illiterate Orwellian society.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/11/12 at 06:24 PM ET