All Mike Babcock

from Mike G. Morreale of NHL.com,

NHL.COM: What will Mike Modano bring to the Red Wings?

BABCOCK: “He’s been a good player for a long time. (Pavel Datsyuk) will center Z (Henrik Zetterberg) and on the right side I have Homer (Tomas Holmstrom), Bert (Todd Bertuzzi) and (Dan) Cleary. I don’t know what line they’re playing on, but I know I got Z with Pavel, (Johan) Franzen with Fil (Valtteri Filppula) and Hudler with Modano. So he’s going to play with good players. If I’m the other team, my first defensive pair is playing against Pavel, the second against Fil and a third against Modano—that’s a heck of a third line. He can really skate and I like the fact it’s a change for him. Change is exciting. I think we should all change our professions every 10 years. When you go to a new place, you’re fired up, a little bit nervous and there’s momentary doubt. Those things will help him and we think he still has a lot of hockey left in him. He’s going to be happy being a Red Wing. He’s going to like getting the puck on his tape from good players and he’ll play on our second power-play unit.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+babcock

Comments

So glad he’s our coach.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 09/13/10 at 01:06 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

“We’re back”.
A-freaking-men.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 09/13/10 at 01:12 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

This lineup quote is the reason red wings fans get the reputation of being arrogant/cocky. However, it’s not arrogance when it’s true.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/13/10 at 01:29 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

some great quotes in that interview.

I like this one:

What does it mean having Jiri Hudler back in a Red Wings jersey?

BABCOCK: “It means 70 points. It means your second power-play unit is as good as your first power-play unit, maybe better.

for a time, the Wings didn’t really have a first and second line, it was more like 1a and 1b.  are they now at the point where they have THREE first lines, 1a, 1b, and 1c?

I mean, seriously:
Zetterber/Datsyuk/Holmstrom
Franzen/Filpulla/Bertuzzi
Hudler/Modano/Cleary

that’s sick.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 09/13/10 at 01:58 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 09/13/10 at 12:58 PM ET

I’d go with a great 1st line, then a 2a and 2b.

Never-the-less, it is sick indeed.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 09/15/10 at 02:29 AM ET