All Don Cherry

from Joe Warmngton o the Toronto Sun,

Grapes on a comeback to Hockey Night in Canada?

While “I do miss Coach’s Corner and going down there on Saturday nights,” it’s unlikely because “the truth is people are afraid of me.” He said with today’s TV, “you have to get along with people, and you say the right thing,” and “I don’t.”

That’s why so many people watched. What Cherry brought has not been replaced. People in sports bars don’t turn up the volume anymore during the first intermission.

Grapes on possibility of he and Ron MacLean patching things up?

Cherry said while he doesn’t harbour any animosity, “I don’t think I could ever forget, though. I don’t think we will ever be friends again.”

more, including the state of the Leafs...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Chet's avatar

Why even disturb this fossil? The man is 88 years old and whether you agree with him or not, he’s not going to change.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 05/17/22 at 08:34 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

He was entertaining maybe 20 years ago. After a while I just tuned him out. For me it wasn’t so much what he said, just how he said it. Another yammering old crank.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/17/22 at 08:46 AM ET

“If he could do anything, Cherry said he’d draft more Canadian players.”

Such a surprising, fresh take. Let’s please keep Cherry right where he is, in obscurity. I haven’t missed his xenophobic rants one bit.

Posted by evileye on 05/17/22 at 10:04 AM ET

awould's avatar

People are afraid of me.

- racist & xenophobic old guy left behind by society

Posted by awould on 05/17/22 at 11:03 AM ET

lots of venom for grapes..shame.

a man’s man, they don’t make em like that anymore..

God love em.

Posted by rickytarr on 05/17/22 at 05:50 PM ET

a man’s man, they don’t make em like that anymore..

Right. It’s called evolution.

Posted by godblender on 05/17/22 at 06:34 PM ET

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

I always enjoyed Don Cherry.

Don is the reason I heard about Kukla’s Korner.  Being in NY, through the years - you heard a lot about Grapes but I was either at a hockey game myself (and could not see) and the later years when I had NHL Network or Center Ice, I could see it.  A friend pointed me here - stating that this site would post a link to the Coaches Corner and whatever they called the second period show and when Kelly Hrudey’s show….. and when I got home from the Coli on a Saturday night - I could see Coaches Corner and the rest before SNL.

These shows gave me a perspective on the rest of the NHL - which I am interested in and Don himself was someone whose point of view I was keen to hear.  I did not always agree with him, but it was often entertaining.  You tuned in to see what the hell he was going to say next.  Later on - it was too Leafs-centric for me.

He is 87 now and I would hope that he could appear from time to time on a Hockey Night broadcast and pontificate a bit.

Also to keep in mind - much like we have Stan Fischler at times in our market - Don is a link back to the old days.  A guy who saw greats of the past play.  I just had to look it up, but I never knew Don Cherry actually played in the NHL.  On HockeyDB - it lists that he has zero regular season games and 1 appearance in the 1955 playoffs.  So I guess he can say he played against Jean Beliveau.  The Rocket was injured that year and did not play in the playoffs.  I mean, while we have guys like Stan and Don and others from that era, we ought to give them a chance to tell us about those days before we lose them.

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 05/17/22 at 08:30 PM ET