All Dan Boyle

Dan Boyle chatted with the media today...

from Josh Thomson of the Journal News,

On why he chose the Rangers: "That's where I wanted to go. That's the simplest way I can put it. When I found out I was done in San Jose, that was the team that jumped out. I played in Florida and California, two non-traditional hockey markets. Those places were great, but I wanted to experience something different."

On the pressure of playing in New York: "I enjoy the pressure. You have to prepare for that. I've already been forewarned. I've been in pressure situations before - Stanley Cup finals, gold medal games - so I'm used to that."

On if he considered the Islanders, who traded for his rights: "It's not so much that I didn't want to go to some of these places. it's just that I wanted to go to the New York Rangers."

"At the end of the day, I wanted to be on an Original Six team, and the Rangers were the team I wanted to go to."

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

d ca's avatar

Did no one in the media point out that Detroit had offered a contract for more money and was a “traditional hockey market” and an Original Six member also?

Posted by d ca on 07/07/14 at 09:49 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Did no one point out that Dan Boyle, the dude who actually gets to make the ultimate decision, said “That’s [New York] where I wanted to go. That’s the simplest way I can put it.”

Posted by SK77 on 07/07/14 at 10:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

It’s fine.  He basically is saying he was going to the NYR all along and that was that.  Basically just like Marty St. Louis.

Posted by Primis on 07/07/14 at 10:57 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

its not really like st louis because boyle was a free agent and st louis still had 2 years under his contract.  Theres a big difference.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 07/08/14 at 02:49 AM ET

d ca's avatar

vDoesn’t matter who your GM is. If someone wants to go somewhere that’s where they’ll go. Why is this so hard to accept?

I’ll offer you $2M dollars more per year plus throw in a 3rd year at 1.5M to do the same job, but you have to work in your non-desirable location: would you take the offer?

Yeah, I’d think it is hard for any rational person to accept turning down a job that pays 20% more for 2 years then throws in another year at above 1M dollars.  Ask almost all these former players if they’d think twice about playing for an extra $5M elsewhere. So yeah, I’m interested in seeing why a guy wouldn’t jump at that opportunity.

Posted by d ca on 07/08/14 at 03:14 AM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by d ca on 07/08/14 at 03:14 AM ET

You’re talking to someone who took a 50% pay cut to move somewhere they wanted to live after years of cashing in “big” in a city they didn’t want to live in.

According to Capgeek, Dan Boyle has made over $58 million playing in the NHL before this contract. Leaving a little money on the table to play where you want to, and on the same team as your good friend, doesn’t seem hard to rationalize at all.

Posted by SK77 on 07/08/14 at 11:04 AM ET