Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn Out For Game 3 For Breaking Team Rules

Nashville, Tenn. (May 1, 2012) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that forwards Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn will not play Game Three of the team’s Western Conference Semifinals series vs. the Phoenix Coyotes as result of violating team rules.

“The Nashville Predators have a few simple rules centered around doing the right things,” Poile said. “We have always operated with a team-first mentality and philosophy. Violating team rules is not fair to our team and their teammates.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alexander+radulov, andrei+kostitsyn

Comments

Rdwings28's avatar

first rule ; play hard Alexander, have a seat.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/01/12 at 02:31 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Elliotte Friedman tweeted curfew violation.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/01/12 at 02:33 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

This is so rich. I bet they went out drinking and trying to pick up women.

Radulov, you’re a poison. And a chump.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/01/12 at 02:34 PM ET

When Radulov came back, the theory I often saw written was he was showcasing himself so that when he’s a RFA at the end of the year, someone will trade for him.

If that was his plan, boy has he devalued himself with his play and now this.

Back to the KHL, I’m sure.

Posted by Chris M from Ottawa on 05/01/12 at 02:38 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Russians

Posted by pensfan29 on 05/01/12 at 02:40 PM ET

awould's avatar

Kostitsyn has had a rep as a pain in the ass for a while now. Radulov too. Not surprising they’ve flaunted team rules to have some fun, being selfish is basically their thing.

Good for Nashville that they’re taking the high road and holding them accountable. I bet their teammates are pissed off. Nashville is a team with character, in my opinion, so I think this may be bad news for Phoenix, as the team will rally hard to fill the gap.

This series has been a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be.

Posted by awould on 05/01/12 at 02:46 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Did they get suspended for leaving Sergei behind!  Glad Trashville has these tools!  They better not say they were surprised at what they got!

Sign them to long term deals please!!!!  LOL

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 05/01/12 at 03:04 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

This made me laugh.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 05/01/12 at 03:07 PM ET

Faux Rumors's avatar

Selfish Morons!  Good for Poile to put down the hammer!  No one should be above the team!

Posted by Faux Rumors from Globally- Here, there, Everywhere on 05/01/12 at 03:08 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Nashville gets some respect for this. Well done.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/01/12 at 03:22 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

Reminds me of the ole Goose Loonies days!

Posted by Ajax19 on 05/01/12 at 03:44 PM ET

Primis's avatar

One could argue Radulov has already sat out two games.

Posted by Primis on 05/01/12 at 03:53 PM ET

I love that the Predators are taking a zero tolerance stance on these violations, but I also love that grown men are held to the same standards I was held to as a child when I was late for class or didn’t get my permission slip signed when we were supposed to go on a field trip.

Posted by Garth on 05/01/12 at 03:57 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Let them both talk to Weber by a thick pane of glass. Helmets are optional.

Posted by detroitredwings on 05/01/12 at 03:58 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

Radulov probably figured ‘if the league will waive rules for me, sure the team will as well.’  Great job by Nashville’s management, maybe Poile would be interested in Shanahan’s job.

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/01/12 at 04:03 PM ET

awould's avatar

One could argue Radulov has already sat out two games.

Posted by Primis on 05/01/12 at 01:53 PM ET

thanks, made me laugh out loud.

Posted by awould on 05/01/12 at 04:03 PM ET

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/01/12 at 02:03 PM ET

Or maybe he and Kostitysn figured that being the team’s top two scorers (Kostitsyn is tied for 2nd…) meant they are above the law.

Posted by Garth on 05/01/12 at 04:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

David Poile added both of these guys and is about to win the GM of the Year award.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/01/12 at 04:15 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Trotz benched them, not Poile.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/01/12 at 04:47 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

``“It’s not different than your family; someday you and your wife may have to have your twins sit in the corner for a timeout because of their behavior,” Poile said. “And you might not like the crying and how it makes you feel, but you know as a parent you’re doing the right thing. And it’s no different in this case. You still love your kids. It’s not that we dislike Andrei or Rad; we’re disappointed in their behavior, and we hope that because we’re punishing them, if you will, by missing this game that this will not be a repetitive situation. If and when they get a chance to put on a Predators uniform again, both their play on the ice and their behavior off the ice will be at the highest standard possible.”

LOL in other words, they have been bad boys and are on a timeout.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 05/01/12 at 05:24 PM ET

Nashville is desperate!!!  i hope they get swept!!!

Posted by Jason on 05/01/12 at 06:07 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Does anyone know if there’s any precedent for this?  Not whatever the incident really was, but a team willingly scratching players in the playoffs (while being down in their series, no less) for breaking a team rule?

Posted by BrendonR on 05/01/12 at 06:42 PM ET

squirrely's avatar

I bet Nashville is glad they burned a whole year of Radulov’s contract for this bullshit, serves them right.

Posted by squirrely from Dirty Jersey on 05/01/12 at 06:42 PM ET

The butt hurt Wings fans in here lamenting this are really something else…

Posted by Chris M from Ottawa, ON on 05/01/12 at 06:44 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Who’s lamenting? This shit is hilarious.

Grab a dictionary and catch up, kiddo.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/01/12 at 06:50 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The butt hurt Wings fans in here lamenting this are really something else…

Posted by Chris M from Ottawa, ON on 05/01/12 at 04:44 PM ET

Go Rangers!!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/01/12 at 06:51 PM ET

Go Rangers!!

Sure. They were the better team and deserved to win. No hurt feelings here. Of course, I don’t think my team has some hockey version of a manifest destiny to possess the Cup every year, so perhaps it’s a different situation.

Posted by Chris M. from Ottawa, ON on 05/01/12 at 06:56 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Chris M. from Ottawa, ON on 05/01/12 at 04:56 PM ET

That is certainly good to know, because if there is any team that shouldn’t feel that way, it’s the Sens.

Well done, sir. You accept your mediocrity with grace and decorum.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/01/12 at 07:06 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Chris M. from Ottawa, ON on 05/01/12 at 04:56 PM ET

Paul Maclean will change that if you give him a chance.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/01/12 at 07:07 PM ET

awould's avatar

Well done, sir. You accept your mediocrity with grace and decorum.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/01/12 at 05:06 PM ET

He laments their perennial mediocrity.

Posted by awould on 05/01/12 at 07:09 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Chris has lain his penultimate mastication asunder vis-a-vis the Sens.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/01/12 at 07:26 PM ET